Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 02 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 12:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon D7000

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2010 12:14 |  #1

Let's pretend we know the following:

Nikon's next gen D90 will be called the D7000.

It will be an upgraded version of D90.

Magnesium-alloy body
16MP sensor
1080 HD video w/AF
Somewhere between 6-8 fps
Improved ISO range: 100-25600
39 AF points
Price: $1199 for body only

If you are currently in Rebel or xxD body how closely will you look at the D7000 as described above when it is time to upgrade? Your Canon mount lens investment will certainly play in to this, but I can't see how it wouldn't be tempting if you care about video. For me it will all be about video. I want it, but it has to be done well. I am not going to pay Canon, Nikon or anyone to "upgrade" from my 50D for video and end up with something that will still have me reaching for my old HF10 camcorder. I've always thought Nikon would be the company to offer optimized video in a DSLR, as they don't have any camcorder sales to cannibalize. We'll see if the D7000 does the trick.

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2010 12:44 |  #2

So far Nikon video sucks big time. Even if it had video AF, the quality bites.

But considering those specs, I would probably still say it would be cheaper to spend an extra 2-300 on a 7D than to try to switch out the complete lens lineup.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 02, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ tkbslc's post |  #3

As my only canon gear left now (after I sold most of it) is 30D w/ grip, kit lens and 50 1.8 that camera (if it comes true) would seriously make me think of switching. Mainly because I don't have huge investment into Canon glass.

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

mpix345
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2010 13:53 |  #4

tkbslc wrote in post #10837492 (external link)
So far Nikon video sucks big time. Even if it had video AF, the quality bites.

But considering those specs, I would probably still say it would be cheaper to spend an extra 2-300 on a 7D than to try to switch out the complete lens lineup.

No doubt about the 7D being a better bargain, if you can call a $1500 camera a bargain, when you consider switching glass. It goes back to video though. While 7D has some amazing high end capability, it doesn't get the job done as a camcorder replacement for casual/family stuff. So I won't even really consider upgrading to it because of that limitation.

The D3100 has video AF. The couple of clips I've found look OK, but they are not great tests of what the camera can do. Hopefully the D7000 takes it to another level. At this point I am just happy to see that Nikon is recognizing the need for AF. Not sure what Canon thinks.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 02, 2010 13:57 |  #5

I still don't know about video AF. These lenses are all designed for Phase AF and the contrast detect system seems to need several slow jerky motions to find where it is going. Won't that hose up the look of the video to see and hear it "jerking" in to focus?

Taylor

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2010 14:03 |  #6

I'm tempted to switch, if only because Nikon cripples their camera bodies less than Canon. Not really loyal to either brand, just want a camera that has few compromises.

MrWho
Goldmember
1,201 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 03, 2010 00:20 |  #7

If these specs hold true, that's a MASSIVE bargain. 6-8 FPS and 39 AF points at that price point is something special especially with the new lens options Nikon introduced lately.

As a Rebel owner looking to upgrade - why even ask? If they put the intervalometer into the D700 like they did into the D5000 and D300 series, then it's pretty much a complete body. It's really the only camera I'm looking at right now especially after the D3100 release.

Gear

neeko
Miss Film 2015
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 03, 2010 00:28 |  #8

That is a pretty crazy price for that.

| Gear | Feedback | DA (external link) | NG (external link) | Flickr (external link) | UCPC | Pie |

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 03, 2010 00:48 |  #9

neeko wrote in post #10841386 (external link)
That is a pretty crazy price for that.

Well I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is that whatever that rumor came from either got some specs or the price wrong. If not, it will definitely be a game changer.

Taylor

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 03, 2010 06:23 |  #10

i can't see any reason to look at Nikon. i like detail in my photos so only the D3X holds any interest for me and i am not spending that much on a camera.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 03, 2010 10:00 |  #11

magwai wrote in post #10842386 (external link)
i can't see any reason to look at Nikon. i like detail in my photos so only the D3X holds any interest for me and i am not spending that much on a camera.

Why would NIkon have less details? Is it the 2-4MP difference you are worried about?

Taylor

neeko
Miss Film 2015
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2010 17:10 |  #12

the D3X raw files are pretty amazing.

| Gear | Feedback | DA (external link) | NG (external link) | Flickr (external link) | UCPC | Pie |

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2010 17:28 |  #13

MrWho wrote in post #10841352 (external link)
If these specs hold true, that's a MASSIVE bargain. 6-8 FPS and 39 AF points at that price point is something special especially with the new lens options Nikon introduced lately.

As a Rebel owner looking to upgrade - why even ask? If they put the intervalometer into the D700 like they did into the D5000 and D300 series, then it's pretty much a complete body. It's really the only camera I'm looking at right now especially after the D3100 release.

FYI, D700 has an intervalometer :D I tested doing timelapse :lol:

ohhh my...

tkbslc wrote in post #10843254 (external link)
Why would NIkon have less details? Is it the 2-4MP difference you are worried about?

maybe. :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2010 17:30 |  #14

neeko wrote in post #10850638 (external link)
the D3X raw files are pretty amazing.

hhmmmm... and I thought you're a canon shooter hehe ;)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 04, 2010 17:43 |  #15

tkbslc wrote in post #10841466 (external link)
Well I'll believe it when I see it. My guess is that whatever that rumor came from either got some specs or the price wrong. If not, it will definitely be a game changer.

agree with you.. and I don't think the D90 successor will have a magnesium body also...

8FPS is a bit high IMHO, although that 39 AF point is possible I think .

sponsored links

61,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon D7000
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.