Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2010 (Friday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Poll: Will you buy the 60D when it becomes available?"
Yes
6.7%
No
84.8%
On the fence
8.5%

825 voters, 825 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Poll: Will you buy the 60D when it becomes available?

Miklebud
130 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 02, 2010 10:04 |  #241

Nope. I'm VERY happy with my 50D, thank you very much.

50D, Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, Sigma 18-50 DC EX Macro, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 50 1.8II, Yongnuo 460-II
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 02, 2010 11:01 as a reply to  @ Miklebud's post |  #242

I think that we need to get past the subliminal marketing notion that the model number is anything more than just a model number. It certainly is not a part of the performance specification. Otherwise, when the model numbering scheme eventually changes, we'll all become basket cases trying to sort out the pecking order -- as though it were actually necessary.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

scaning
169 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2010 11:42 |  #243

I haven’t seen any exploded view drawing of 60D, just wonder is the lens mount connected to the alumina frame? I'll guess there could be a weak point, attaching a big lens and lift it with the camera. The plastic xxxD do not feel all that solid lifting a heavy lens with them.

After decades in the attic I resurfaced my old 1970s Leitz Pradovit projector, just as new in the plastic, no signs of aging plastic. Guess it was the old German quality stuff. My first thought was, they don’t do that kind of plastic now days. But I'll guess 60D could be a challenger.

"Most Lenses are Better Than Most Photographers"

MintMark
385 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2010 12:03 |  #244

scaning wrote in post #10837062 (external link)
I haven’t seen any exploded view drawing of 60D, just wonder is the lens mount connected to the alumina frame? I'll guess there could be a weak point, attaching a big lens and lift it with the camera. The plastic xxxD do not feel all that solid lifting a heavy lens with them.

The detailed preview at

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E60​D/E60DA.HTM (external link)

has some diagrams of the internals, but I'm not sure there is enough to answer your concerns.

Surely the lens mount must be very firmly attached to the frame that holds the sensor and shutter and everything else, otherwise we'd have all sorts of alignment problems. The panels (magnesium alloy or plastic) spread the load from the frame to your hands where you grip the body. The points where the panels attach to the frame must come under quite some stress.

Anyway, when I've used my 200mm + TC on my 1000D I'm pretty much holding the lens and not the body :)

Mark

snowpuppy
24 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 02, 2010 12:21 |  #245

I think 60D is like a Rebel beefed up with nice extras, no longer the prosumer cam it was. Just got a 5D used. Next is going to be something like a 7D. Maybe Canon shot themselves in the foot with making 7d so good.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 02, 2010 12:36 |  #246

bsmotril wrote in post #10807337 (external link)
I think the intended market for this camera probably does not even know this forum exists.

This is how I feel. It may not be popular on here, but basically everyone here already has a DSLR and, to be perfectly honest, a lot of "book knowledge" on the current camera bodies and lenses that Canon has. As far as actually having used all the cameras and bodies, that is a completely different story. I'd say wait and see, but I voted no because the 60D does not appeal to my particular needs. My next body will most likely be a 7D or a 5D series if they improve the AF.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 02, 2010 12:38 |  #247

There is a decent (believable) explanation at DPReview of the direction Canon took wtih the 60D.

http://www.dpreview.co​m/previews/canoneos60d​/ (external link)

It looks to be a very capable camera.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

scaning
169 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 02, 2010 12:59 |  #248

60D is probably a very good upgrade from 450D and lower. I believe 450D, 300/350D has been good money makers for Canon, and some year ago 450D was top DSLR seller in Japan. These are probably the people Canon is aiming at together with DSLR entry customers. 500/550D has video and plenty of pixels and is probably satisfied to upgrade when the next generation "60D" or "7D" comes.

60D omits the longstanding A-DEP setting, such a down grade, will any serious Canon nerd buy it. ;-)a In these HDR times it should have had 5 steep auto exposure bracketing, at least it have +/- 5 steps exposure compensation.

What did the 40D and 50D folks expect a 7D with a 60D label? :-)

As an 1000D owner I believe 60D is the camera to upgrade to, lots of pixels and digic 4 and I believe as good AF servo as 50D. And the money "saved" by not buying 7D spent on the 15-85 lens. And dispose the 1000D with the 18-55 IS kit lens on the used market.

"Most Lenses are Better Than Most Photographers"

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2010 14:07 as a reply to  @ scaning's post |  #249

I like the new super rebel 60D, maybe my 50D will hold its value a bit longer.

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 02, 2010 14:25 |  #250

ingraman wrote in post #10838049 (external link)
I like the new super rebel 60D, maybe my 50D will hold its value a bit longer.

I don't know if it will hold its value longer, but it will still be an excellent camera that's faster than the 60D! :cool:

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D500

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 02, 2010 14:38 |  #251

I could use a smaller camera to complement the 1D bricks, but it won't be a 60D - too big, too much plastic.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 02, 2010 15:52 |  #252

How depressing...so I'm stuck getting a 7D if I want to upgrade. What a waste...makes going FF more of an option.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2010 17:35 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #253

Wow, Canon really dazzled us with the 6oD. Wow. :cry: 85% disapproval rating in a long running POTN poll. Hey Canon, firing squad for the marketing department. ;)

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

medic583
159 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 02, 2010 17:45 |  #254

If I were looking at a new camera to replace my XTi I would think about the 60D... but since I moved up to the 40/50D's... specifically for things like a higher frame rate for sports and pc sync port for off camera flash... well... the 60D to me sure isn't an upgrade in any sense of the word and when I wear these out it will be a 7D or 5DII as an upgrade :)

Dennis
"Old enough to know better, young enough to learn a heck of a lot more"

Mark_48
Goldmember
2,068 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 02, 2010 18:15 as a reply to  @ medic583's post |  #255

I pulled this quote with permission from another forum I belong to. Granted it's not a Canon, but likely the same sort of composite for the body.

"Also, a friend of ours once slipped on rocks near a waterfall, his new 70-200 f/2.8 fell glass down, which cracked his camera in half (D90, not magnesium body but plastic). Surprisingly, his lens was fine."

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

sponsored links

35,907 views & 0 likes for this thread
Poll: Will you buy the 60D when it becomes available?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.