Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 01 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D2 with Zeiss 21 or S90 for Europe?

Digital ­ Panda
465 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 01, 2010 10:35 |  #1

I mostly shoots landscapes and have a 5D2 and 21 ZE which I use daily, but I am going to Europe this weekend. I have heard horror stories of people slashing other peoples camera bags and running off with them on trains and other spots. Also I would be staying at places which would not be safe to leave anything at so I would need to be carrying a back pack with me the entire time I am in Europe. So I was thinking of getting the best camera money can buy that will fit in my pocket (S90) so it will be better protected from theft and rain, as well as allow me to leave the backpack at home. I was wondering what you guys would recommend I do.

Canon 5DIII | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 24mm f/1.4 L II | 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS
Connect with me on Facebook! (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 01, 2010 11:00 |  #2

Insurance and the 5D2 if you enjoy photographing with that combo. You'll find the 28 mm equivalent of the S90 limiting compared to a 21 on the 5D2.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 02, 2010 09:52 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #3

consider also a Samsung TL500;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/​cameras/sam-ex1.shtml (external link)

http://www.dpreview.co​m/reviews/samsungtl500​/ (external link)

Dennis

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 02, 2010 16:42 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I tried one for a day but couldn't stand the new raw files. The camera was nice but ultimately IQ was not better than the much smaller S90.

Bob
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 7D

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 02, 2010 17:00 |  #5

I'd bring the combo. I'd also purchase a knife or check one in with your luggage just for insurance purposes if someone tries to slash and grab.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

J-B
951 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 03, 2010 08:36 as a reply to  @ c2thew's post |  #6

Take the 5D + Zeiss. You'll regret it if you don't ;)

Just be extra carefull with your camerabag.
Where are you going?

Website (external link) l Flickr (external link) l Gear

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 03, 2010 11:02 |  #7

Paris.

Canon 5DIII | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 24mm f/1.4 L II | 100mm f/2.8 L macro IS

andrersa
48 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 03, 2010 11:43 |  #8

I'm going to Germany for six weeks and I will take my S90 instead of 5D. I will be working and I will have to carry too much other stuff to carry a big camera with lens as well. I feel sad about this but the S90 can take awesome pics if done correctly.

IUnknown
738 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 03, 2010 12:16 |  #9

Contact statefarm and insure the stuff for around $100 for the year. Get a police report if you run into trouble, and get a new camera. Bring small cf cards so you don't loose all the data.
I ran into a situation where this guy came up to me pretending to be drunk. The scam is one guy distracts you and the other guy slashes your bag behind you. I got lucky as his friend actually scored a camera and interrupted the first guy to show him. Funny thing is, the guy came back to finish me off. I guess he didn't realize that I was watching. I kicked at him when he got up close again.
Consider micro 4/3 with some alt glass. Some great shots in the FM forums.Maybe an olypus pen? My opinion, its a premature market, in five years is when you want to invest in this system. But if your looking for discrete now:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …micro,four,thir​ds#8766229 (external link)

http://www.fredmiranda​.com …yword=olympus,p​en#8655571 (external link)

Fiske | Film (external link)
5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | LEICA 50MM SUMMICRON-R F2 | Canon 135L | Elmoscope anamorphic lens | 430EX II

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,549 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 03, 2010 16:33 |  #10

Get insurance. Why worry about taking gear anywhere? Paris isn't particularly dangerous though.

The S90 is a very capable travel companion. I'd ditch the SLR if I were in your situation - my S90 has given me some of my favourite shots this year. Buy a Lensmate filter adapter, a GND, CPL and a couple of end caps to stack 'em together. Job's a good 'un.

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2010 17:25 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Probably too late but another option would be purchase a T1i or T2i kit from Best Buy and sell it at a $100-200 loss after you return. Consider it a rental fee. Personally, I wouldn't dream of going without my dslr and I've been to paris twice. It's a pretty safe place but you should be a little stealth like just in case.

Bob

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,126 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 03, 2010 18:27 |  #12

Paris is fine apart from the ghettos where I doubt you are headed so 5D and insurance. I did have my wallet lifted on the metro last visit but that could happen anywhere.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

bigfatdaddyo
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 07, 2010 11:46 as a reply to  @ racketman's post |  #13

I just got back from Europe for a 31 day adventure, 10 countries including russia, took both the S90 and the 5D Mark 2 with 24-105 and 70-200. I took most of my pictures with the S90, but my best photos were taken with the big boy. On the days I really wanted to shoot, I lugged the 5D, when I was out touring about and saw a great shot, I pulled my S90 out and captured some really cool shots.

Digital ­ Panda
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 15, 2010 11:32 |  #14

Thank you everyone! I just returned from Paris, and decided at the last second to bring only the s90 with me. I was happy with my decision, because it ended up raining the entire time and I was able to flirt more with the French women without looking like a complete tourist :D

Here are a couple randomly selected images!

IMAGE: http://i53.tinypic.com/1zdp65h.jpg

IMAGE: http://i54.tinypic.com/2m7xd9t.jpg

IMAGE: http://i51.tinypic.com/6plyfr.jpg

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 15, 2010 11:49 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Nice shots. Just imagine what you would have brought home with the Zeiss. ;)

Bob

sponsored links

3,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D2 with Zeiss 21 or S90 for Europe?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.