Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 03 Sep 2010 (Friday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Earthquake in New Zealand

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 03, 2010 12:47 |  #1

Looks pretty strong (7.2) and right at Christchurch. Hope all our POTN friends are safe down there.

http://news.blogs.cnn.​com …-zealand/?hpt=T1&iref=B​N1 (external link)

Tim, Moppie - check in?

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links
6ix
32 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 03, 2010 19:33 |  #2

My teeth are still shaking..

Was a good wee EQ 40 k's south of me... 4.30 AM, Man it was scary!!

Stock 400d + 18-55 (Armoured), Pentax Screw mount & some old lenses. I still sometimes miss my s5000.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,406 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2010 19:35 as a reply to  @ 6ix's post |  #3

I have no idea what any of that crap means...

OKAY, after watching the news, now I get it
EQ = earthquake
40k = 40 kilometers

Glad you're doing well. A heck of a way to way up, eh?

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

joayne
Cream of the Crop
13,072 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 03, 2010 19:38 as a reply to  @ 6ix's post |  #4

Hope you all are doing OK.. Just now coming up on the radar for the USA in news reports. Looks like a lot of damage around some parts of NZ.. Be Safe!

... uh, the "crap" is the 7.+ earthquake that took place in New Zealand South Island today..

joayne Contribute to POTN | Worldwide Photo Week

Please Quote the post to which you are responding.

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 03, 2010 19:47 |  #5

Hey! How are you guys down there?

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

6ix
32 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 03, 2010 19:59 |  #6

No loss of life - pretty amazing..

I have a heap of friends affected, and know of a few who are displaced..

Stock 400d + 18-55 (Armoured), Pentax Screw mount & some old lenses. I still sometimes miss my s5000.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,831 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 03, 2010 20:02 |  #7

Here's hoping all our Kiwis are fine!

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 03, 2010 22:38 as a reply to  @ Pekka's post |  #8

Roll call has been made on the kiwi thread, and we have managed to contact most of those we knew to be in christchurch. It sounds like a few may have lost the contents of their houses, and possibly the house. Thankfully there hasn't been any reported deaths as of yet in christchurch, and power is progressively coming back on.

This is my home town, yet I'm not there at the moment, which has been extremely hard. Most of the serious damage (building facade collapse etc) has been in the areas where the building predate the 1930s (when building codes were modified after a 7.8 earthquake in NZ). The major issue appears to be water + sewer pipes have broken across the city, and likely to be a problem for quite sometime.

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 03, 2010 23:54 |  #9

Thanks for the update. Wish you all well.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

FotOz
932 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 04, 2010 00:35 as a reply to  @ Skip Souza's post |  #10

Hey guys - and I know we have a few members in CH.
Thinking of you all.
Spent a fantastic week there a couple of years ago.
I'm finding it difficult to imagine that creek running through town actually running a banker.
If things are a bit tough at present, why don't you come over and join the rest of the K1W1s living in Bondi?
:lol:

. . . Steve . . .
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fotoshoppe (external link)
Fuji W3, Canon 400D, 450D, 550D+BGs. 2X1GB, 1x4GB and 1x16GB CF cards. 3X32GB SDHC and 4x8GB SDHC cards. 1X18-55 EFS lens. 1X28-105 and 1X75-300 USM Canon EF lenses. 1x18-200 IS Canon EFS lens. Canon Speedlite 380EX & Canon Speedlite 430EX II flashes. 1 x Rolleiflex and 1 x Rolleicord TLR cameras. i-phone5.

bigrignz
124 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 04, 2010 01:45 |  #11

pretty crazy stuff i will post some photos soon

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bigrigproductio​nsnz/ (external link)or facebook
http://www.facebook.co​m …ns-NZ/159207471259?ref=ts (external link)
Canon 7D + BG - E7 grip + 70-200mm f2.8 IS MKII + Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-IIVC LD + 50mm f1.8 + 580exII heaps of extra stuff eg cards, filters .......

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 04, 2010 03:28 |  #12

Glad to hear you Kiwi's are alright.
I guess it's a case of shaken, not stirred...(well, someone had to say it)

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

6ix
32 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 04, 2010 06:23 |  #13

pleb1024 wrote in post #10847090 (external link)
Most of the serious damage (building facade collapse etc) has been in the areas where the building predate the 1930s (when building codes were modified after a 7.8 earthquake in NZ). T

Nah, most of the damage is in settlements near water, I have heard from people in Pines Karaki, Waikuku, Kaiapoi and the Lower Selwyn Huts - mostly liquifaction damage...

I have been unable to travel in the district (due to my role at work, involved in emergency situations), however such a big event nearso many people and still no reported fatalities (apart from a plane crash on the coast) is a testament to modern building standards, unfortunately most of the historical buildings are currently structurally "unsound"

This pic is one my missus found on facebook, it's from where her parents live... Waikuku.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i2.photobucket.​com/albums/y32/hazara/​waikuku.jpg (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 04, 2010 07:17 |  #14

6ix wrote in post #10848335 (external link)
Nah, most of the damage is in settlements near water, I have heard from people in Pines Karaki, Waikuku, Kaiapoi and the Lower Selwyn Huts - mostly liquifaction damage...

I've only got friend + family in the chch areas - and seems in the better areas at that. Had been surprised at the lack of reports about liquification, as that was always one of the biggest concerns in chch due to the soil. Sorry to hear about the damage your way - hopefully nothing too irreplaceable has been lost.

Hopefully it continues to be a death free (beyond the guy that had the heart attack) event.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

6ix
32 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 04, 2010 07:59 |  #15

Christchurch news... (external link)

Only 130 kph winds tomorrow...

sponsored links

3,041 views & 0 likes for this thread
Earthquake in New Zealand
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.