Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mid-day outdoor wedding portraits? A little worried..

angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 26, 2009 11:33 |  #1

I'm shooting my first wedding next Saturday at a country club near Des Moines. The bride wants to start photos at 1PM, with her and the groom going first.

I'm fine with shooting outside, but in direct sunlight worries me. Assuming that we don't get rained on, what is the best way to light a couple in harsh mid-day sun? Should I find some trees and then use my flash/umbrella as a main? Any tips are appreciated!

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 26, 2009 11:39 |  #2

Flash, reflectors, open shade, full shade, etc. Lots of options. Just make sure to angle them so they're not facing the sun. Squinty eyes = ick. Also keep the group shots out of spotty shade unless you have one big ass monolight. A speedie just doesn't have the oomph to overpower the sun.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 27, 2009 14:14 |  #3

My preference in order are:
- Nothing beats shade.
- A large 48" or so 5-1 reflector can be had fairly cheap. You'll need someone to hold it for you, but it gives good control and you'll see exactly what you're going to get.
- Fill Flash. It takes some technical skill and practice. Do a search and you'll find many strings on the specifics of how to do it. And take some time to practice/experiment. As much as I know how to do it effectively, though, you can always tell that flash was used unless you're better at gelling than I am.

The problem with fill flash is it's hard to tell how you did from the camera's LCD. And errors from being either too strong or too weak are a little challenging to fix well in PP. That's why I like shade and reflectors first; a lot of control and you can see exactly what you're going to get.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,564 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 27, 2009 15:40 |  #4

If you want your photos to look like 95% of other wedding photographer's photos, hide in the shade.

Or use the sun creatively and embrace it. Use it as a rim light, or use it to light one side and fill with flash on the other. As don said, just keep the sun out of their eyes or they'll squint. I don't like using reflectors in the sun because it makes people squint just as bad as if facing towards the sun anyways.

For photos of the couple, a single speedlite 580 is enough to light them up. You don't have to diffuse it to get nice photos. Just fire it bare and direct.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

mariusz
52 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2009 15:28 |  #5

I use flash to feel the shadows, it works well in these situations

Toronto wedding photographer - Heaven Meets Earth Photography (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 28, 2009 15:33 |  #6

For creative photos - put their backs to the sun - use a flash to fill and capture the love.....
I did have one ceremony outside recently -- during the ceremony the bride was in direct blazing, scorching bright sun and the groom was in the shade. Nothing I could do about it but capture what I could as well as possible -- probably one of my least fav ceremony events ever----- but I did get some awesome creative photos after.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 02, 2009 02:55 |  #7

if you have off camera flash, you could fire a slave at about a 45 degree angle to the sun to lighten the shadows.

If you do use a reflector, make sure whoever is holding it for you stands far away or it will make them squint like they are staring in the sun.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

pmagi
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 05, 2010 02:15 as a reply to  @ PMCphotography's post |  #8

I use a combination of methods, in rough priority:
* Try to work with the sunlight. Finding angles and having people look to the side, shooting into the sun to get flare, rimlight etc....
* Use fill flash on camera. Often -1 to -3 and with gels, ND and 1/4-1 Tungsten filter to go really discreete, as I hate that "flash look".
* Hide in the shadows, but that can easily blow out bright backgrounds, or give a "cold" feeling to the images.
* Use a fill reflector, if I have an assistant with me and take more posed images that gives enough time for this. Most often not for full body shots though I have a very large reflector too, as it can be hard to get close enough to get good effect while not showing the reflector in the full body shots.
* Use a diffusor, same comments as for reflector. Can create some very nice light.
* Have an assistant hold the flash off-camera, using PocketWizard.
* Use a strobist set-up with 1-2 sets of two SB-24 Nikon flashes on a light stand with an umbrella and Pocketwizard. Takes a lot of time to set up, but gives full control and very nice light. Usually there is no time for this on weddings the way I work. If I have to shoot indoors this is a good option.

Pmagi AB - Professional Photograper based in Stockholm Sweden
Portfolio - Photographer Sweden (external link)Blog - Fotograf Stockholm (external link)

sponsored links

5,867 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mid-day outdoor wedding portraits? A little worried..
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.