Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2010 (Saturday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you buy the best? Or Do you work with what you have?

it`s ­ me
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 28, 2010 21:41 |  #136

SMP_Homer wrote in post #10808308 (external link)
bad gear builds character

..... :D ...

sponsored links
amobnaij
89 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 28, 2010 23:37 |  #137
bannedPermanent ban

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10552566 (external link)
I've always saved up to buy the best gear I could ever want to have. I never bothered with inferior or lesser gear, I found that I would regret it later on because there's a glass-ceiling effect that happens once you use it to the best possible case you can. Just me though, anybody else like that too?

Do you save and wait?

Or do you buy what you can when you can and do you best with it ? Ever get regrets?

What is the best?

Photography, as a hobby, is more rewarding and satisfying by working your way up, both in technique and equipment. A hobby is no fun at all if money is no object, because you don't have to constantly trying to figure out what's the best given a limited budget.

For a professional photographer, you do need best possible gear you can afford, but you can still maximize the cost and return by spending less on lenses you rarely use.

D700 24-70, 70-200VRII, 50/1.4, 85/1.8,105VR, Tamron 28-75, 24-120VR, Σ20/1.8
D300/D5000 Σ10-20 35/1.8 Tokina 16-50 & 50-135 70-300VR
5D 24-105L
Nikon 5700, Canon SD880 G11

minkynuts
24 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Aug 29, 2010 02:20 as a reply to  @ amobnaij's post |  #138

The best 200mm lens for my Canon is a hand made lens made by Zeiss, they will take your personal camera and build the lens to it for perfect matching. it will cost over £8000 to buy, are we supposed to rush out and buy it as its the best.

Rob

Canon7DDSLR
407 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 29, 2010 02:56 |  #139

i would buy the best.. well for me are all the suitable primes. Save up. And i always believe in the best equipment.

Save up. And at least u know u hv the best gear and u will never ever blame the gear for any crap pics taken instead it is the person who is behind the camera.

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 29, 2010 03:27 |  #140

Karl Johnston wrote in post #10552566 (external link)
I've always saved up to buy the best gear I could ever want to have. I never bothered with inferior or lesser gear, I found that I would regret it later on because there's a glass-ceiling effect that happens once you use it to the best possible case you can. Just me though, anybody else like that too?

Do you save and wait?

Or do you buy what you can when you can and do you best with it ? Ever get regrets?

Hmm, with the 400D I started with the kit lens and a cheap 70-300 Sigma lens...

Now on the 5D MK II I only have the 24-70 and the nifty fifty from my 400D - my aim is to only get what I'll keep - so I won't be getting another lens until I can either get a 70-200 2.8 II or a 16-35 - i.e. I would now like to try to ge the best I can and then keep it.

Basically it depends:
If you have time and want things to last - get the best you can - if you need a lens now you might as well get a cheaper one and sell it later on - just I haven't ever sold anything - and possibly won't. Either I keep it or it goes into the bin.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 29, 2010 03:42 |  #141

Andrushka wrote in post #10805528 (external link)
Also - one thing that seems a bit ironic is that most of you "only buy the best" folks are shooting Canon when technically there is "better" photo equipment to be had for portraits and landscapes and whatnot (Hassleblad, PhaseOne, Zeiss etc...)

Well, I for one don't shoot "portraits and landscapes and whatnot", I shoot birds and sports and have no need whatsoever for technically inferior, slow bodies and manual lenses. I think I have bought the best for what I do. :)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 29, 2010 04:03 |  #142

Andrushka wrote in post #10805528 (external link)
Also - one thing that seems a bit ironic is that most of you "only buy the best" folks are shooting Canon when technically there is "better" photo equipment to be had for portraits and landscapes and whatnot (Hassleblad, PhaseOne, Zeiss etc...)

Hassleblad costs a lot more - way, way more - not something I would afford anytime soon - not sure if ever.
Of course there is the Leica S2 - again, about 10 times as expensive as my 5D MK II.

On Zeiss - not all people are good at manual focus - I can't even decide which dioptre setting is right for my eyes - I'm near sigthed, I have a -2 glass on it - but still can't quite make up my mind on the best setting - how should I focus manually? Besides the point that I am dead slow - so manual focussing would cost me ages...

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 29, 2010 10:26 as a reply to  @ DetlevCM's post |  #143

I work with what I have. If I find that I need something, versus, wanting it, I save up until I can afford it.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

jb1911
492 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2010 08:43 |  #144

I buy the best, then I work with what I have.

7D/BG-E7 - 580EXII - EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - in a Domke F-2RW
http://www.banpuppymil​ls.com/ (external link)
I like to keep a bottle of liquor handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~ W C Fields ~

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 31, 2010 04:50 |  #145

working with what you got can make it the best, skill is a lengthy purchase

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 31, 2010 08:55 |  #146

Maybe somebody shares this philosophy as well. And since quality gear is expensive, here are my buying strategies:

1. Buy the best quality you can afford

2. Learn how to squeeze every ounce of quality from the gear you buy

3. Since quality camera gear is expensive, employ the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy.

4. It costs more to buy cheap, sell cheaper and upgrade. Might as well buy the best quality you can afford every step of the way.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 01, 2010 01:03 |  #147

^ well said

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

fstopped
76 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 05, 2010 00:07 |  #148

My Dad taught me a long time ago -- buy the best once rather than going cheap and having to replace it soon after w/ the one you wanted originally.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 05, 2010 02:51 as a reply to  @ post 10553474 |  #149

I buy the best I can afford.

Gear List

rad ­ doc
42 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 05, 2010 08:01 |  #150

I am not a professional and therefore only bought what I needed. However over time I have upgraded. Went from Canon XT to 5D and now 5D II. Kit lens to 24-105, Canon 28-80 2.8. I also have upgraded from 70-200 f4 to the 70-200 2.8 IS. My advice to get fast glass. It is more expensive but produces better bokeh and freezes action better and would have saved me from buying the 24-105 and 70-200 f4

sponsored links

15,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you buy the best? Or Do you work with what you have?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.