Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Sep 2010 (Friday) 21:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone thinking switching to the dark side? Who's done it? any regrets?

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 06, 2010 03:09 |  #46

Had a go with the D700. Just realized how much of a dinosaur the AF of the Canon counterpart is. So tempted. :(

Also the thing is built like a tank compared to the Five-Dee.

sponsored links
NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 06, 2010 03:10 |  #47

Whelp I am not looking to change brands but I am strongly thinking about tossing the 1DIII up for sale to purchase a 5DII. I just dont use my camera in adverse conditions or sports like I thought I would.

I can really use the video for a couple upcoming projects.

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 06, 2010 03:14 |  #48

taxsux wrote in post #10857654 (external link)
Had a go with the D700. Just realized how much of a dinosaur the AF of the Canon counterpart is. So tempted. :(

Also the thing is built like a tank compared to the Five-Dee.

AF and build is indeed an advantage of the D700 over the 5D MKII

NeoTokyo wrote in post #10857658 (external link)
Whelp I am not looking to change brands but I am strongly thinking about tossing the 1DIII up for sale to purchase a 5DII. I just dont use my camera in adverse conditions or sports like I thought I would.

I can really use the video for a couple upcoming projects.

if you really don't need FF, I think the 7D is the better choice since you are used to the 1D MKIII's AF you might be disappointed by the 5D MKII.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 06, 2010 03:19 |  #49

I had a 40D and was extremely disappointed after I got the 5D. But I was able to live with it.

After trying the D700. That disappointed was multiplied by several folds. Hahaha!

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,884 posts
Gallery: 1717 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 06, 2010 03:22 |  #50

You should've bought a 1DsII. :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2010 11:10 |  #51

Bob_A wrote in post #10855621 (external link)
I have absolutely no issue with Nikon's layout and find it as good as if not better than Canon's. Go figure.

Frankly I don't see one having any significant advantage over the other in this area. I certainly wouldn't base my choice of system on it.

I think the interface details that annoy me are:

-You have to take the camera away from your face to change the ISO.
-The rear dial is much slower to make large sweeps than the canon rear wheel.
-The rear directional pad is pretty bloody hard to use quickly and accurately. It has a terrible sloppy feel. They should copy the design from a gaming company or something if they're gonna use a pad instead of a joystick.
-White Balance Shifting is embedded a few steps into the menu. It's something I use dozens of times in a day's shooting. You have to choose your white balance mode EVERY single time you change the shift even if you never change the mode. It's SO annoying.
-The zoom buttons on the bottom left corner are much harder to use than on the top right like canon. When you are using live view handheld with a moderately heavy lens, it takes some thumb contortion to zoom, while on canon they are in such a natural comfortable spot.

There are also things I love about the Nikon interface and things I hate about the canon, but overall, the canon interface just seems much more natural to use... for ME.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 06, 2010 11:51 |  #52

Am I the only one that has no issues with the 5DII autofocus? Its nowhere near what my my mkIV is, but for a portrait and landscape camera, the autofocus works fantastic. I have shot many sports with it as well. The center point of the 5DII is the most accurate of the camera bodies in my stable and beats the D3s I sold a couple months back. Its very accurate. Outer points...............d​on't use them.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

kimmylixx
178 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 06, 2010 11:52 as a reply to  @ montanawild's post |  #53

Just remember the jedi always beats the sith!

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 06, 2010 11:55 |  #54

picturecrazy wrote in post #10858986 (external link)
I think the interface details that annoy me are:

-You have to take the camera away from your face to change the ISO.
-The rear dial is much slower to make large sweeps than the canon rear wheel.
-The rear directional pad is pretty bloody hard to use quickly and accurately. It has a terrible sloppy feel. They should copy the design from a gaming company or something if they're gonna use a pad instead of a joystick.
-White Balance Shifting is embedded a few steps into the menu. It's something I use dozens of times in a day's shooting. You have to choose your white balance mode EVERY single time you change the shift even if you never change the mode. It's SO annoying.
-The zoom buttons on the bottom left corner are much harder to use than on the top right like canon. When you are using live view handheld with a moderately heavy lens, it takes some thumb contortion to zoom, while on canon they are in such a natural comfortable spot.

There are also things I love about the Nikon interface and things I hate about the canon, but overall, the canon interface just seems much more natural to use... for ME.

I can see why you prefer Canon then and I don't see a difference. For me:

- It's easy for me to change ISO while looking through the viewfinder although it's not the greatest button placement. It would be better if they had three buttons behind the shutter release (Mode, ISO, Exposure Comp).
- I agree about Canon's dial being a better design, especially for moving through menu items
- Disagree about the directional pad. I like it MUCH better than Canon's joystick which I've always felt was clunky and cheap
- You could be right about WB setting. I shoot RAW and rarely change from AWB ... which is also more accurate than Canon's IMO.
- I never use Live View so have no issue with the placement of the zoom buttons.

Some of the things I prefer with Nikon:
- The 3 position switch for changing metering mode
- Mode button for changing shooting mode
- On-off switch placement and quality (although I never use it)
- Placement of the flash exposure compensation button
- Easy to access mirror lock-up and no "Direct Print" button
- No going through menus to format a card

As you said there are some puts and takes to each.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2010 12:08 |  #55

I think what I like the most about the Nikon interface is that you just have to push the trash button twice to delete an image. Rather than canon's annoying delete-scroll-OK method.

-Lloyd
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 06, 2010 12:16 |  #56

picturecrazy wrote in post #10859258 (external link)
I think what I like the most about the Nikon interface is that you just have to push the trash button twice to delete an image. Rather than canon's annoying delete-scroll-OK method.

Still waiting for Oly to hit a home run with an OM-1 sized FF with an interface that has all of the good stuff from Nikon and Canon. I can dream, can't I? :lol:

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 06, 2010 13:10 |  #57

a friend of mine has a D700. Gave it to me for a while to test it and tell her how to use it. Took a half day to get used to the different interface, but it seemed like a nice product and gave good results.

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't see a need to switch. Both are good brands. It's all in how you use them.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 06, 2010 13:43 |  #58

picturecrazy wrote in post #10859258 (external link)

The easy fix for that is to stop taking bad pictures. ;)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 06, 2010 14:05 |  #59

Anders Östberg wrote in post #10859683 (external link)
The easy fix for that is to stop taking bad pictures. ;)

hahaha LOL. As much as I'd love to be that good... you just can't control when people blink.  :p

-Lloyd

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 06, 2010 14:23 |  #60

I must admit the trash button is my most used button.
Apart from the shutter button of course. :)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

sponsored links

10,455 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone thinking switching to the dark side? Who's done it? any regrets?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.