Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Aug 2010 (Sunday) 13:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Decided to go with a 5Dc!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 03, 2010 22:12 |  #31

After switching between the XTi and the 5Dc you soon grow to love the huge viewfinder.

I bought one of the last new 5Dc's off the web here in Canada and I love it.

I do find I need to watch the gobs on the lenses more than I did on the XTi - but the rocket blower fixes that easily.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links
kkSlider
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 04, 2010 02:40 |  #32

Why would you want to do that? An excuse to get a 5DII? ;)

professoryeti wrote in post #10833953 (external link)
Didn't read through to see if this was addressed...

But I just sent my camera in for the mirror recall. Came back in 10 days from ship out to return, shipping paid on both ends by Canon, with a new mirror assembly, clean sensor AND a clean viewfinder. I didn't pay a cent, and had a humorous conversation with the Canon rep to boot. Now others have had different experiences, but that was mine.

I also found that my 5D has 92,000 clicks (AT LEAST 30K of which are mine after getting it in February) and I can't wait to run the shutter into submission :-)

5DC FTW!!!

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2010 05:31 |  #33

I went from rebel to 5D and loooved it, I dont own a rebel anymore now. I used to think I needed two cameras but the 5D is plenty for me. It is a little on the heavy side for me (small frame, petite wussy girl) so I sold all my hugely expensive heavy zooms (24-70 & 70-200 2,8) and bought me some primes, started with 50 1,4, 85 1,8 and 100 2,8 and kept the 16-35. Much more manageable weight and i dont mind zooming with my feet at all.

As for dust, yeah it does have some issues, I still havent learned how to clean my sensor but I will have to very soon.

For the price imo the 5D is severely underrated

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

Ukuleleman
580 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 04, 2010 08:43 |  #34

EmmaRose wrote in post #10848230 (external link)

The 5D has never been underestimated Emma, it is a universally loved and respected camera, so much so that it has changed its name from the 'Canon 5D' to 'The Canon 5D Classic', a mark of the esteem in which it is now held, but even when it was first introduced it was hailed as a great advance in the 'Affordable Cameras Range'.

I loved my 5D Classic, but, coming from a 400D where all the info I needed was on my major LCD display, I was disappointed that I had to use the small top display on the 5D to get the same info, also it does not have the sensor dust vibrator that actuates on switch on and switch off and, in spite of all my efforts the sensor dust was always a problem.

As for the price of a used 5D, $1000/£650 ish that is about right but depends on condition/actuations etc, I sold mine, low actuations, complete with Canon Grip, extra batteries etc etc for £830/$1.282 and the buyer was more than pleased.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going to
My Gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2701981&pos​tcount=461
http://ukuleleman.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 04, 2010 09:11 |  #35

Check out Ken Rockwell's review of the 5D, he absolutely loves it even though he is a Nikon fanboy. At the time of his review the 5D was still worth $1800 used, and he said it's the best camera under $8000.

As of right now, you have people jumping all over the 7D, as well as other cameras because of all the newer features- live view, movie modes, etc. The 5DmkII is great but I can't afford it, and the 7D is not enough of an upgrade (IQ wise) from a 40D, and I don't need to shoot at 8fps or have the super tough build quality.

I was hesitant to buy a 5D because of the lack of newer features (I think this would be the case with most people who are afraid to buy one), in fact it took me a year to finally decide to buy one. I wasted lots of time researching lenses (Tamron 17-50VC, Sigma 17-50OS, Canon 17-50IS) but in the end the shallow DOF and incredible detail from a FF sensor makes all the difference. My $220 Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 I bought off Amazon looks better then either of those three lenses now (on FF, not necessarily crop) it's got a whole new personality! Either I have a super good copy, or I will be incredibly amazed at my camera if I pop an L zoom on it!

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

-g-
Horribly disfigured but learning to cope
12,517 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 04, 2010 09:23 |  #36

WaltA wrote in post #10846953 (external link)
I bought one of the last new 5Dc's off the web here in Canada and I love it.

Massively off-topic here:

Walt. Calgary?

Flickr (external link)--------------- Facebook (external link)--------------- Web (external link)--------------- Twitter (external link)
GENO.CA - Vancouver wedding photographer

EmmaRose
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 04, 2010 16:48 |  #37

Why is everyone jumping on what I said? Did you miss the "imo"..
Nobody getting into photography dreams about having the 5D anymore, I dont disagree that its an awesome camera, but a lot of people dont even include it in their wish-list anymore. That's just a fact, I dont know how many threads Ive seen opened by people on this forum who had a list of rebels and FF's but nowhere it in did they mention the 5D and I'm not always the first to put it on the table.

I got my -10k clicks 5D for under 1k (800 euro i think)

Gear. Flickr. (external link)

neeko
Miss Film 2015
1,925 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 04, 2010 17:56 |  #38

Love love love the FF and High ISO of the 5D.

| Gear | Feedback | DA (external link) | NG (external link) | Flickr (external link) | UCPC | Pie |

terson
43 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 04, 2010 19:18 |  #39

5D is a great camera ;)

5Dc, SigmaLux, 24-70L

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 05, 2010 05:41 |  #40

I came across a thread today that had a link to a Canon White Paper from '06 dealing with, among other things, full frame issues. It was, of course, during the time of the 5DC and the 1Ds2, along with the 30D as well as the 1D2 and 1D2n, but I found the paper to be chock full of good info, especially the first 10 pages comparing full frame to the "smaller" sensor bodies, the manufacturing process for these sensors (starting at page 11), and the sensor-level noise processing that goes on (page 17). Thirty pages worth reading:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …0Papers/Canon_C​MOS_WP.pdf (external link)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

rad ­ doc
42 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 05, 2010 07:27 |  #41

If the mirror fix has not been done send it in. If you call Canon, they will send you a prepaid label for free. They will also clean the sensor and viewfinder. The camera does attract a lot of dust as my viewfinder is already dirty after 6 months.

Ukuleleman
580 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 05, 2010 08:02 |  #42

EmmaRose wrote in post #10850535 (external link)

Sorry, didn't mean to get your back up, I realise it was 'imo', just thought you might like to hear 'mo'.

Take your point about wish lists though.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going to
My Gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2701981&pos​tcount=461
http://ukuleleman.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
16,067 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 05, 2010 19:50 |  #43

tonylong wrote in post #10852968 (external link)
I came across a thread today that had a link to a Canon White Paper from '06 dealing with, among other things, full frame issues. It was, of course, during the time of the 5DC and the 1Ds2, along with the 30D as well as the 1D2 and 1D2n, but I found the paper to be chock full of good info, especially the first 10 pages comparing full frame to the "smaller" sensor bodies, the manufacturing process for these sensors (starting at page 11), and the sensor-level noise processing that goes on (page 17). Thirty pages worth reading:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …0Papers/Canon_C​MOS_WP.pdf (external link)

Very interesting article, Tony. In addition to the first pages on comparitive benefits of full frame, the historic stuff at the end was fascinating.
I remember reading articles in photographic magazines back in the early 1970s about the growing scarcity of silver for photographic emulsions, and wondering what we would do! Who would have guessed how far we would come in relatively such a short time?

Growing old disgracefully!

Lightstream
Yoda
14,915 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 07, 2010 07:08 |  #44

EmmaRose wrote in post #10850535 (external link)
Nobody getting into photography dreams about having the 5D anymore, I dont disagree that its an awesome camera, but a lot of people dont even include it in their wish-list anymore. That's just a fact, I dont know how many threads Ive seen opened by people on this forum who had a list of rebels and FF's but nowhere it in did they mention the 5D and I'm not always the first to put it on the table.

I got my -10k clicks 5D for under 1k (800 euro i think)

The 5D classic is underrated indeed. I'm still recommending it to photogs who value the power of full frame over the latest gadgetry. :)

Even in today's world of countless megapixels, its image quality holds its own (even against my 5D2!)

kkSlider
THREAD ­ STARTER
177 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2010 16:25 |  #45

My 5Dc arrived at the Irvine repair center two days ago. Hopefully I get it back soon! I told myself I wouldn't mount a lens on it and try it out until it was back with the mirror fix. Gah the anticipation!

sponsored links

12,697 views & 0 likes for this thread
Decided to go with a 5Dc!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.