Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 03:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d to 5d2 for live view (manual focus) - advice

ooztuncer
153 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 07, 2010 03:45 |  #1

Hello,
I am a proud owner of 5d; however, I am thinking to move 5d2 mainly due to live view function. Video is a plus, too (we have a 2 years old baby girl).

My lenses are ALL manual focus (see below) and I am using my 5d with EEs focusing screen, but even after 10-15 minutes my eyes start to hurt.

My question is to MF lens users, is live view really works OK for you? Is it hard to hold the camera without shaking and check the composition, af, etc in the LV mode? How do you use the LV, do you lose time for magnification, etc.;i.e. please give some advice in general.

And naturally the main question is: Is it worth investing 1k for the upgrade?? Do I have any other alternative (screens or tools, etc.)? Or should I continue investing in glass and keep the 5d!

Thank you in advance...

Lenses:

Only zoom lens: RMC Tokina 28-85mm f4

24-28mm category:
Nikon 24mm f2.8 (AI)
Panagor 28mm f2.5
Super takumar 28mm f3.5

~50mm category:
Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2
Meyer Oreston 50mm f1.8
Chinon 55mm f1.7
Helios 44m 58mm f2
Helios 44m-6 58mm f2
Helios 44-3 58mm f2

100mm category:
Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8

135mm category:
Jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5
Super takumar 135mm f3.5
Panagor 135mm f2.8

200mm category:
Super takumar 200mm f4

Camera: Canon 1d3, Fuji f100fd
Main Glass: Nikon 24mm f2.8 (AI), Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2, Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8, Jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5, Super takumar 200mm f4
Feedback: ebay (external link) - heatware (external link) - head-fi (external link)

sponsored links
MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2010 04:23 |  #2

My answer is no, I do use LV quite often but not for quick AF, and then there is a delay to shoot. If you imagine zooming in 10 times and with an LCD slow to update and try to focus and hold camera perfectly still it is very very hard.
I use LV for tripod images or when holding the camera away High above my head or in an awkward position to frame an image that I do not want to bend over double for.

LV is very good for what it is designed for, just not for general AF photography

I would go out and buy a Canon 50mm f1.4 to see how AF improves your ability to get a quick image in focus, and if there is a massive improvement then look at buying a set of prime AF.

PS not a MF user that often either, not sure if LV though would be better with a manual Focus Screen

Good Luck

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

mattia
528 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 07, 2010 14:05 |  #3

Live view for AF is nice, but mostly for static stuff and the occasional over the head shot. I've had much better experiences using an AF confirm chipped adapter. Give that a shot first.

5DII | 300D | 30D IR | 17-40L | 24-105L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 15 FE | 35L | 50/1.8 mk I | 135L | Sigmalux 50/1.4 | Sigma 105/F2.8 Macro | C/Y Planar 50/1.4 | C/Y Distagon 35/2.8

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 07, 2010 17:18 |  #4

not sure if LV though would be better with a manual Focus Screen

The focus screen doesn't come into it. LV is read from the sensor with the mirror up and therefore the focus screen is blocked off.

Elie / אלי

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 07, 2010 17:22 |  #5

In my personal experience, I've only found LV to be useful when using a tripod (or sometimes a monopod).

B&W film shooter gone digital.

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 07, 2010 17:33 |  #6

Haoda and Katzeye make split prism focusing screens...you could try that. They mess with spot and partial metering, though.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 07, 2010 20:15 |  #7

For MF Live View 5-10X is by far the most accurate and precise focusing approach. However, it works best when using a tripod, as the LV 5-10X is pretty jiggly when hand held. As a side benefit of this approach with all of the newer Canon cameras with LV, one can also activate the Silent Shooting Mode. This means when pressing the shutter in LV, the mirror stays up and the shutter open; the shot is initiated electronically. Silent Shooting mode 1 or 2 just differ in the timing of when the mechanical shutter closes and reopens again to resume LV (and the sound it makes at the end of the shot). Thus Mirror Lock up is totally obsolete with LV Silent Shooting.
With the 5DII you can also use the EG-S viewfinder screen, which helps some, but its not nearly the big difference that Live View makes.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 07, 2010 20:48 |  #8

I have both 5d models and shoot quite a bit with MF lenses. 5x magnification is about as high as you can go handheld and even then it can be difficult as your movement causes blurriness. The problem with LV is it magnifies the center of the screen so you have to move around to the object you want to focus on. This can waste 10 secs or so and become annoying, or at least it is for me. For landscape shots I use a tripod but focus to infinity so LV is of little use. Oh, and forget about tracking any moving object as ghosting is horrible and you won't be able to see anything.

Focusing through the viewfinder with a matte focusing screen can produce eyestrain even with a magnifier. The other alternative as some already mentioned is AF confirm via chipped adapters. The more advanced ones allow you to calibrate focus and they can be fairly accurate at f/2.8 and are pretty reliable at f4 or above. However you're still confined to a focus point but when your eyes get tired you can still look at general composition and when you hear the beep take the shot.

ooztuncer
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 08, 2010 01:39 |  #9

Thank you very much for the responses.

5d2 is out for now. I will research for focusing screens and AF confirm chips.

Are there reliable online shops that sell the focusing chip only, not the adapter? Since I already have 6 different type of adapters in hand and if chips are something that I can stick onto adapter, then perhaps I don't need to invest again for adapters.

Thank you.

Main Glass: Nikon 24mm f2.8 (AI), Leitz Summicron-R 50mm f2, Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8, Jupiter 37A 135mm f3.5, Super takumar 200mm f4
Feedback: ebay (external link) - heatware (external link) - head-fi (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2010 02:01 as a reply to  @ ooztuncer's post |  #10

There are autofocus lenses. For a reason.

Anders

ooztuncer
THREAD ­ STARTER
153 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 08, 2010 04:05 |  #11

@apersson850: I really don't want to start a forum ethics discussion; but, simply put, if you can't contribute to what OP is asking for, it is better to stay away from his/her topic...

I have used probably 10 different auto focus lenses, some of them L glass, but what is your point??

rad ­ doc
42 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 08, 2010 06:18 |  #12

If you need the video, it is a no brainer 5DII. Video quality is amazing.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 08, 2010 10:11 |  #13

ooztuncer wrote in post #10870232 (external link)
I have used probably 10 different auto focus lenses, some of them L glass, but what is your point??

Well, I didn't see you mention any AF lenses, but a long list of more or less old MF lenses, never intended for the cameras you are talking about. In fact, you stated that ALL lenses you have are manual focus.

I have several MF lenses myself (Canon FD/FDn), but I use them on cameras designed for Canon FD/FDn. My AF lenses I use on EOS cameras.
When people try to use MF lenses on cameras designed for AF, there is some compelling reason, since it wasn't the original thought.

When your eyes start to hurt, and you still use MF lenses, your reason must be more compelling than most.
Even if somebody uses MF lenses for certain applications (video, perhaps, where you more or less have to use MF now), it's not likely to be the best for everything. Your first post had a tone suggesting that AF wasn't something you'd ever touch, so I thought it was appropriate to make a reminder of that they do exist, for a reason.

I'm not going into forum ethics either, but if the OP only got the answer to a specific question he asked, he may very well miss a completely different approach.

Anders

sponsored links

4,859 views & 0 likes for this thread
5d to 5d2 for live view (manual focus) - advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.