Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Handing off camera - AF mode?

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 07, 2010 22:14 |  #16

guitarfish wrote in post #10867725 (external link)
The first thing I do is walk over and put the strap around their neck. :)

AMEN! Too easy for an accident to happen.

Tim
Equipment

sponsored links
Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,299 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 07, 2010 22:25 |  #17

My 5 year old nephew loves to take pictures. I'll give him the camera for awhile if I'm not actively taking pictures. Usually set it to Av and use an aperture/ISO/WB that fits the conditions. Use center point focus because he aims everything on dead center. He knows he is not allowed to take the neck strap off and he has to use both hands. Learned my lesson to set it to one shot and not continuous, kid took 500 pictures in a short amount of time.
It is also very interesting to see things from a 5 year old's point of view. See what grabs his attention.
For everyone else, I pretty much do the same but make sure it's a wider field of view... crop later :)

Melody

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2010 23:16 |  #18

Heh! My biggest mistake when handing off a camera is to forget about the fact that I have the focus set on the back button:)! That can be messy considering the fact that I'm shooting in AI Servo as often as not:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Haribo
303 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 08, 2010 01:01 |  #19

tonylong wrote in post #10869253 (external link)
Heh! My biggest mistake when handing off a camera is to forget about the fact that I have the focus set on the back button:)! That can be messy considering the fact that I'm shooting in AI Servo as often as not:)!

haha, same here!

I usually just set up the shot (AV mode), ask the person to stand approximately where I was and just press the button...it won't focus with the shutter press, and usually turns out ok.

...or if it's a family occasion, then I just ask my cousin...as he knows what he's doing ;)

flickrexternal link

rad ­ doc
42 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 08, 2010 06:20 |  #20

Green box with all AF points selected. I try to pick someone who is already carrying a SLR to take our family photo.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,646 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 08, 2010 06:34 |  #21

if you do hand it off to someone, make sure you select someone that appears to run slower than you...

;-)a

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Josepi
281 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 08, 2010 08:53 |  #22

Av, ~f5.6-8, one shot, get everyone in an even line/depth from the shooter, have them stand perpendicular to the shot.

Depending on the person's smarts depends the AF mode. Mom gets all af points active, others get spot af.

Josepi
281 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 08, 2010 08:55 |  #23

Know what else works nice? Remote triggers and tripods :p

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 08, 2010 10:39 |  #24

If there's enough light and you have the whole family in the picture A-DEP should be a safe choice, no?

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 08, 2010 10:48 |  #25

uOpt wrote in post #10871587 (external link)
If there's enough light and you have the whole family in the picture A-DEP should be a safe choice, no?

Does it work and is it easy enough to use that you can hand the camera to your Aunt Mable and have her understand how to use it?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Porkywill
248 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 08, 2010 11:19 as a reply to  @ krb's post |  #26

Green box for me!

My wife bought me a driving day at a local track, Mercedes Benz World to those who know it, and I wanted some photos of me sliding around all over the place. I just put it in the green box for her and told her to point and shoot. I much prefered having some in focus, average shots (some actually came out quite nicely!) than a whole load of OOF focus or blurred shots that I can do nothing with.

I'm only a beginner but when in doubt and you can't delay the shot, green box it is, the same goes for other users.

I love photography, but a memory is far more important to me than missing the opportunity whilst fannying around with settings!

Will

Kit: 7D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Sigma 17-70mm OS, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Nissin Di622, Slik Pro 500 DX, SX220, Gorillapod ;)
Wanted: 77mm or 72mm ND500 filter, Sigma 8-16, Sigma 150-500

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2010 11:28 |  #27

Depending on your body, running man might have been better than green box mode for racing... Does anyone actually set it to portrait mode when asking for someone to take a portrait? Probably not, I never do...

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 08, 2010 11:33 |  #28

I never really hand my camera off to people who aren't used to DSLR's themselves, but if I would, I'd keep my settings at Av or manual (if you're shooting with a flash anyway).
Maybe enable all focus points, but I focus using the back button, so that would only confuse people further...
Besides, people will always try to "zoom my primes", which is fine, but on some of them it simply does nothing (focus clutch) or they will really screw up their focus :D
I am always scared to hand it off with the Tamron 17-50 on it, because the focus ring moves with AF :S

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

hpulley
Goldmember
4,390 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 08, 2010 11:37 |  #29

Honestly I don't like to hand off lenses without full-time manual focusing. It is too easy for them to "zoom a prime" or focus when they think they're zooming, stripping the gears in the meantime. It is odd but the cheapest lenses are the worst for this while L lenses are fine.

flickr (external link) 1DIIN 40D 1NRS 650 1.4xII EF12II Pel8 50f1.8I 28-80II 17-40L 24-70L 100-400L 177A 199A OC-E3 RS-80N3

sponsored links

6,714 views & 0 likes for this thread
Handing off camera - AF mode?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.