Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Apr 2010 (Friday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PELICAN 1440 / Quick Review

Nevilleblack
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 16, 2010 10:02 |  #1

I just picked up the Pelican 1440 specifically for my lighting gear. I was having a lot of trouble taking my gear from the office to a shoot and needed a cheap solution after picking up the Think Tank Addicted for my camera gear. My shoulders were killing me after carrying my battery and lighting equipment which wouldn't fit into the TTA.

I wasn't sure which Pelican to get and I had seen a couple in my local shop here but I didn't like them much The travel handle on them seemed flimsy and like they would snap if too much weight was applied. That and they just didnt seem like they would hold what I needed. The ones I did like weighed too much. I needed something with good depth and something that could easily be taken with me on location.

I then saw a video on Youtube with a guy who had the 1440 and used it to bring bottles of wine traveling and I immediately went to check it out online. It seemed like it could do the job so I took the chance.

When I got it, I packed all my stuff into it and it fit just perfectly. I got the model with the padded insert. I really didn't need it but at the time I thought I might at some point want to store some misc gear inside. I would like to have seen it fit in with the padding but it doesn't. Having said that, for taking from my place to a shoot, I'm safe. It works perfectly. If I had say an AB1600 unit, that I could fit with the padding. But with the ABR800, no. I think I would be able to fit two lights and the battery in here nicely with padding. The handle on this one is awesome too. Not flimsy like some of the other models. As for the weight, with all my gear its about 48-49lbs. I think the limit for the planes is about 50lbs so thats good. Just makes it. Empty its about 16lbs. The lid organizer is awesome and I'm happy with that. I fit all my parts inside nicely.

So if you're looking for a small travel case for your lighting, and something around $150, this could just be what you are looking for.

VIDEO REVIEW HERE - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ojZlwKjhT6g (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"And thats the kind of day it's been..." - Lloyd Robertson

sponsored links
Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 16, 2010 10:04 |  #2

Inside the case.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 16, 2010 10:07 |  #3

And I needed to make my case my own and recognizable in places such as airports. Plus I think every case like this needs something cool stamped on it. Yeah big fan of the classic game Bubble Bobble.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nevilleblack
THREAD ­ STARTER
446 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 08, 2010 22:10 |  #4

Video review now here - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=ojZlwKjhT6g (external link)

Venno
151 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2010 12:45 |  #5

Awesome, your video was pretty good as well.

1stGenRex
564 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 09, 2010 13:01 |  #6

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

this makes you awesome IMO

sponsored links

3,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
PELICAN 1440 / Quick Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.