Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Back Button AF?????

peregrineflier
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2010 01:26 |  #1

Hi
can you set the 7D to have the Back Button AF ? I found how to get it to Af using the back button, but it still meters, I am so confused.

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
davethejnz
245 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 11, 2010 01:31 |  #2

See the manual Page 217

Novice - So novice that I can learn from anyone even beginners
David

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 11, 2010 01:36 |  #3

Yup, you can definitely turn off metering on the back button, and have the half-press of the shutter button take care of it. There's a whole menu screen for assigning button actions--easy to reach from custom functions as well.

My Gearlist

peregrineflier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,069 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2010 01:45 |  #4

I still can not find it, I can turn off af ion the front button, but can not figure out how to stop the metering on the back AF-on button

Thanks, Tom the Peregrineflier ;) Lyle Washington
Canon 1D mk3, Canon 100-400 L, Canon 300mm f/4L IS
http://peregrineflier.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 11, 2010 02:35 |  #5

peregrineflier wrote in post #10888666 (external link)
I still can not find it, I can turn off af ion the front button, but can not figure out how to stop the metering on the back AF-on button

I use the * button for focus on my 7d.

Gear List

John ­ Hayes
188 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 11, 2010 04:32 |  #6

malla1962 wrote in post #10888765 (external link)
I use the * button for focus on my 7d.

Same

Like me on Facebook (external link)

Website (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2010 04:47 as a reply to  @ John Hayes's post |  #7

You can't turn off metering when you are focusing. Why would you?
You can turn off focusing when you are metering with the half-press of the trigger button, though.

If you use AF-ON (properly labelled for it) or * (legacy solution for when cameras didn't have AF-ON) is of course up to you. When shooting action I have focusing with selected AF point on AF-ON and with registered Home Point on *.

So you can actually have both.

Anders

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 11, 2010 07:44 |  #8

apersson850 wrote in post #10888982 (external link)
You can't turn off metering when you are focusing. Why would you?
You can turn off focusing when you are metering with the half-press of the trigger button, though.

If you use AF-ON (properly labelled for it) or * (legacy solution for when cameras didn't have AF-ON) is of course up to you. When shooting action I have focusing with selected AF point on AF-ON and with registered Home Point on *.

So you can actually have both.

That sounds like exactly how I would have it... How to you register a Home Point?

NPuter | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link)
5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2010 07:59 as a reply to  @ NPuter's post |  #9

User's manual page 219.

Select a single point, hold AF point selection button and press lamp button on top.
The registration can be cancelled by pressing AF select button and ISO button at the same time.

If you use orientation dependent AF point selection, you'll have to register Home Points (HP) for all orientations.
When you set AF-ON and/or * to autofocus, you can press INFO to get deeper into the details, and there select with which point they should focus. You can also select if pressing the joystick should go to HP or not.

The registered point will be shown as a small dot in the viewfinder.

Last time I had good use for this was when shooting racing cars going in and out of a hairpin. For composition reasons, I didn't want to use the center AF point, but one a bit to the side. But the side changed when the cars changed direction in the hairpin. So by just selecting a point to the left and registering a point to the right, I could hold * when going into the hairpin and just changed to AF-ON when going out. A flick of the thumb while I tracked the car in the viewfinder.

Anders

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 11, 2010 08:36 |  #10

/\ Awesome.

Never knew that, and could never find the way to set the 'Home Point; in the manual. :)

- Matt

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 11, 2010 08:39 |  #11

apersson850 wrote in post #10889309 (external link)
User's manual page 219.

Select a single point, hold AF point selection button and press lamp button on top.
The registration can be cancelled by pressing AF select button and ISO button at the same time.

If you use orientation dependent AF point selection, you'll have to register Home Points (HP) for all orientations.
When you set AF-ON and/or * to autofocus, you can press INFO to get deeper into the details, and there select with which point they should focus. You can also select if pressing the joystick should go to HP or not.

The registered point will be shown as a small dot in the viewfinder.

Last time I had good use for this was when shooting racing cars going in and out of a hairpin. For composition reasons, I didn't want to use the center AF point, but one a bit to the side. But the side changed when the cars changed direction in the hairpin. So by just selecting a point to the left and registering a point to the right, I could hold * when going into the hairpin and just changed to AF-ON when going out. A flick of the thumb while I tracked the car in the viewfinder.

Thanks! I can't wait to get my 7D (soon :D) - I am going to have shutter 1/2 way as metering/AE Lock, AF-On btn as Metering/AF Start, and * btn as AF home button...

5D Mark IV | 7D
16-35 f/2.8L II | 16-35 f/2.8L III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

Feedback

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2010 08:43 as a reply to  @ sando's post |  #12

Cars going in and out of the hairpin I wrote about above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Anders

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 11, 2010 08:50 |  #13

NPuter wrote in post #10889377 (external link)
Thanks! I can't wait to get my 7D (soon :D) - I am going to have shutter 1/2 way as metering/AE Lock, AF-On btn as Metering/AF Start, and * btn as AF home button...

If you use evaluative metering and One Shot AF, the shutter button half-press is AE lock by default.
Don't forget that if you don't always want AE lock on half-press, you have yet another button now, the M-Fn. When shooting action with automatic exposure, I ususally move AE lock to the M-Fn button. Thus it's there, but still allows me to follow and adjust exposure automatically accordingly, if needed. I'm often taking photos of people running between bushes and branches, in and out of sunlit areas, so the difference in illumination is often too much to handle smoothly in M mode. There's enough to think about regarding focusing and tracking. Tv allows me to keep the shutter speed I want for the motion effect, while I'm busy adjusting zoom, AF-ON, * and DOF buttons to control framing and focus point and mode selection.

The photo is one in a long sequence I shot when I evaluated the different AF settings for tracking runners that sometimes are hardly visible at all.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Anders

NPuter
574 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2010 16:06 |  #14

apersson850 wrote in post #10889396 (external link)
If you use evaluative metering and One Shot AF, the shutter button half-press is AE lock by default.
Don't forget that if you don't always want AE lock on half-press, you have yet another button now, the M-Fn. When shooting action with automatic exposure, I ususally move AE lock to the M-Fn button. Thus it's there, but still allows me to follow and adjust exposure automatically accordingly, if needed. I'm often taking photos of people running between bushes and branches, in and out of sunlit areas, so the difference in illumination is often too much to handle smoothly in M mode. There's enough to think about regarding focusing and tracking. Tv allows me to keep the shutter speed I want for the motion effect, while I'm busy adjusting zoom, AF-ON, * and DOF buttons to control framing and focus point and mode selection.

The photo is one in a long sequence I shot when I evaluated the different AF settings for tracking runners that sometimes are hardly visible at all.

Yep - I totally know what you are saying... On my T1i, I have always had * as focusing and shutter 1/2 press as AE lock - I actually like the shutter 1/2 press as AE lock for 90% of my shooting...

However, for action/tracking shooting, I plan on removing AE lock from the shutter button...

5D Mark IV | 7D

Feedback

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2010 16:12 as a reply to  @ NPuter's post |  #15

All combinations of AF and metering except evaluative and One Shot AF will allow you to make the decision about if you want AE lock or not.

In many cases, if you do need AE lock when shooting action, it may be easier to use M mode instead, and get locked exposure all the time.

Anders

sponsored links

6,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D Back Button AF?????
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.