Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 10, 2010 15:58 |  #16

The advised cost of an extended service plan is 15%. $350 seems more.
BB did replace my 4-yr old 46" Toshiba RPHD-TV 1 month shy of the 4-yr old plan I got (for 20% of the cost...yes I know I said 15% but the service contract covered bulbs...)...I got a 50" Samsung DLP FREE...

....and so I got another 4-year plan, again because they'll replace a DLP bulb once for free during the plan's 4 years....and because the store made good on its plan...I've owned this TV for 2 years now so that's a total of 6 years for $1200 with 2 years to go...btw, I love the TV.

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 10, 2010 16:28 |  #17

RLJSlick wrote in post #10885962 (external link)
That's nuts! I use to work for Best Buy many years ago, and that is how they make their money, is by pushing those service plans. Most of it is junk but every once in a while the do pay off, but but very rarely.

Well, thats the point isn't it. They make their money based on the fact that the number of returned items is less then the number never returned.

Sounds suspiciously like insurance, huh?

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

nemesis47
358 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 10, 2010 16:44 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #18

Considering that BB (online) lists the price $150+ above what you get from other online stores, and you pay the tax, you may be better off buying from some other stores, and use the savings ($550+) to buy another camera in the unlikely event of you breaking it.

70D | 50D | Tamron 17-50 VC | Canon 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100 2.8 | 100-400 L | YN560ii

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 10, 2010 17:50 |  #19

nemesis47 wrote in post #10886779 (external link)
Considering that BB (online) lists the price $150+ above what you get from other online stores, and you pay the tax, you may be better off buying from some other stores, and use the savings ($550+) to buy another camera in the unlikely event of you breaking it.

If only I could get another 7D for the amount saved, according to you $550+

I got my 7D from BB, and I stole it at the price I paid. I had a coupon they mailed to me and used that. No sales tax because I purchased it in Delaware. I took the money I saved and paid for the plan. If it suffers accidental damage, they'll replace it on the spot if they have inventory. Total cost to me was less than the retail price of the package.

Yeah it's a huge money maker for them, now if everyone who bought something began having accidents, they're probably stop selling the plans.

nemesis47
358 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 10, 2010 19:43 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #20

If only I could get another 7D for the amount saved, according to you $550+

If you are talking about "breaking" it, yes, it is a problem. You will end up paying the rest. If you are talking about genuine problems, you have a Canon warranty anyway for 1 year. What would be the price of a Canon 7D from Canon's Loyalty Program at that time (it is $1119 right now, and 50D is $719)?? That is IF you BREAK it after 1 year and it requires replacement. A repair will likely cost less. And how many people really BREAK their camera?

But then, you got a good deal, and you think the risk is worth the $350 you paid. That's what matters most :)

70D | 50D | Tamron 17-50 VC | Canon 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/4L IS | 100 2.8 | 100-400 L | YN560ii

angelIV
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 10, 2010 20:20 |  #21

eagle359 wrote in post #10886555 (external link)
If you were to see my F1n or my A2 you would know why I am even considering buying the service plan. I have NO experience with DSLR and have NO idea how fragile they may be. I figured a "get out of jail free" card (not free-but $350) may not be a all bad idea. I am open to other's ideas.

John

If it will give you peace of mind go for it. With regards to my personal exp. With bb accident ins. I sent my laptop a few months bef. It expire they said it was the bat. So they replaced the bat. After 3 months the motherboard died it was already out of warranty! Now I took my xti bec it accidentally fell.! I'm still waiting for an update.

Gear list: 7d, 50d, xti, EOS 66 film, Canon FTB,sigma 18-35 1.8 art len, EF 24-105L, 70-200f4. Manfrotto 190xpro, sirui g20x. BR metro.

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 10, 2010 20:26 |  #22

guitarfish wrote in post #10886328 (external link)
For years and years I've never purchased extended service plans/warranties on things like appliances & electronics. I have saved thousands and thousands of dollars. Every now and then something does break, and I pay to have it fixed, or buy something new. Even sill, I'm way ahead of the game, monetarily speaking.

Same here. Save your money and skip the plan. Better yet, save even more money by purchasing the 7D online from someplace like B&H Photo instead of at Worst Buy. Between the $349 you save by not purchasing the extended warranty and the $200 you will save on the camera, you already have a repair bill paid for if something does break after warranty.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 10, 2010 22:21 |  #23

nemesis47 wrote in post #10886779 (external link)

Must be different in the USA. I bought my 5D classic from Future Shop (=BestBuy canada) for $1100USD over the web. Can't say I lost on that deal. Last one I could find in Canada before they went out of stock.

Walt

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 10, 2010 22:22 |  #24

nemesis47 wrote in post #10887476 (external link)
If you are talking about "breaking" it, yes, it is a problem. You will end up paying the rest. If you are talking about genuine problems, you have a Canon warranty anyway for 1 year. What would be the price of a Canon 7D from Canon's Loyalty Program at that time (it is $1119 right now, and 50D is $719)?? That is IF you BREAK it after 1 year and it requires replacement. A repair will likely cost less. And how many people really BREAK their camera?

But then, you got a good deal, and you think the risk is worth the $350 you paid. That's what matters most :)

Most electronics last at least a year. A 1 year warranty is a laugh.

Walt

mswobo
Goldmember
1,322 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 10, 2010 23:12 as a reply to  @ post 10886555 |  #25

add it all up...fridge, washer, dryer, stove, furnace, laptop, camera, plasma TV, cell phone and all your other electronic goodies and insure them all or buy the 7D with the money you saved from not buying insurance.

I never buy extended policies because if something dies I buy another with the money I didn't use for insurance. I do have a policy for all my gear for fire and theft.

Just my 2cents.

Nikon D850 and a bunch of stuff, I have learned a lot here when I was shooting Canon, staying to keep learning..."Every time I set up I learn something new".

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 11, 2010 00:57 as a reply to  @ post 10886555 |  #26

I wouldn't buy an aftermarket insurance plan from a retailer for a Canon camera. For other appliances it might make sense, however a camera is a precision instrument and I wouldn't ever let anyone other than Canon service my equipment. If you need warranty work on your camera and you have one of these retailer type extended warranties, your camera will not go back to Canon. It will be sent to whomever the warranty company uses. The guy who fixes your camera won't have access to Canon training or resources. He might fix a computer one day, then a blu-ray player then next, and then your camera at some point. It just scares me to think that someone without canon specific training would work on my camera.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 11, 2010 06:10 |  #27

It is a personal decision no doubt! I am generally not "an extended warranty person" either. I did purchase one through Circuit City on my 20D (5 years with acidental damage for $200 and yes it is coverd after they went out of business) which has proven to be a reliable model. 9 days out of factory warranty the shutter went out and a couple of months later my flash mount was knocked lose by a man tripping in a stadium at a theme park and when he reached over to brace himself ( I was sitting ) he hit my flash.

Both times I had the camera out and back in 7 days. My 40D went back after I only had it for about a month with an AF problem (covered under factory warranty) and needed some parts.
It just depends on the person and the circumstances. For me it depends on the length of coverage and the cost.

Best Buy is another subject! In my experience their customer service is "hot and cold". I had a friend visiting from California and her Olympus DSLR went out while she was traveling and they replcaed it for her while she was here. A few years later while at home she had a very difficult time with them replacing or repairing a worn out camera that the sensor went on.

Frankly, I would shop Adorama.

Happy Shopping!

Trique Daddi

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 11, 2010 09:40 |  #28

PUREBRAD wrote in post #10888557 (external link)
I wouldn't buy an aftermarket insurance plan from a retailer for a Canon camera. For other appliances it might make sense, however a camera is a precision instrument and I wouldn't ever let anyone other than Canon service my equipment. If you need warranty work on your camera and you have one of these retailer type extended warranties, your camera will not go back to Canon. It will be sent to whomever the warranty company uses. The guy who fixes your camera won't have access to Canon training or resources. He might fix a computer one day, then a blu-ray player then next, and then your camera at some point. It just scares me to think that someone without canon specific training would work on my camera.

I don't think anyone is talking about having someone other than Canon work on your camera. The Future Shop (and I think Best Buy) policies are for replacement - not repair.

In some cases they have to replace with a newer model - which is what happened to me with a Garmin GPS.

Walt

SilversurferC6
151 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 11, 2010 09:42 |  #29

When I bought my EOS 50D from Henry's, something went wrong withing the first 2 months. I had the service policy with them and they just handed me a new body rather than sending mine to Canon for repairs. Gotta like that. Worth every penny.

Pierre (aka Sierra) Toronto, Canada
Current kit: Canon EOS 5D Mk III; Canon 50 F1.4; Canon L 16-35 F2.8;Canon L 24-105 F4; Canon L 100-400 F4.5-5.6; Metz Mecblitz 76 MZ5, and more stuff.
Mac Book Pro (I'm a Mac and you're a PC)
http://www.imaginefocu​s.com (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 11, 2010 09:47 |  #30

This may be off topic a bit but one of the reasons I like the store service plan in some cases is if the manufacturer want's you to return the product to them before they will replace it. So rather than shipping my blown up monitor to China I walked up to the Customer service desk and they gave me a new one.

Walt

sponsored links

7,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.