Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 11, 2010 09:58 as a reply to  @ post 10889562 |  #31

The thing that would bother me, is the 'one claim' clause that people have mentioned.

Many repairs (most?) come under a standard charge, if sent back to Canon, which is less than $350

So, the camera develops a fault after 18 months, the original (Canon) warranty has finished and the repair will cost $250. What do you do?

Claim on the extended warranty and so get it repaired at no additional cost? Then you have just paid $350 for a $250 repair and now have no warranty remaining.

Send it to Canon, pay the $250 and keep your extended warranty active for the remaining two and a half years, in case something really expensive goes wrong? What if nothing else goes wrong and you have paid for a repair you didn't need to. You are now down $600 and had the one repair.

The warranty will be handy if you get a total loss, but otherwise will likely be a waste of money. If you use it for a normal repair, it will likely cost more than the repair would have anyway.

Even with a total loss, insurance is going to be more effective because you can claim more than once, so you still have protection.

sponsored links
m3pj
127 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2010 10:54 |  #32

Agree completely ^^

Gear Here | Feedback

CameraAddict
98 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 11, 2010 11:04 |  #33

If you buy the camera using American Express, they extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year....of course, this is mostly only a benefit if you don't carry a balance on the card.

50D, 5D Mark II, 24-105, 70-200 IS, 100-400, 100 f/2.8, 10-22, 70-300 Non-L (for sale), 28-135, 50 f/1.8, Kenko tubes, 430 EX II, Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch, LR3, PS5

sickboy11
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 11, 2010 11:13 |  #34

It does not cover your camera being fully submerged.

My laptop's accidental coverage runs out in March.It will find it's way on to some concrete before then.

vid1900
557 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 11, 2010 11:34 |  #35

Remember that your "gold" MasterCard gives you 1 or 2 year of automatic extension of the manufacturer's warranty (look at your terms to see) so you get that for free.

This is what Consumer Reports has to say about extended warranties:

http://discussions.con​sumerreports.org …ebtag=cr-shopping&entry=7 (external link)

No bragging list - I just rent whatever the job requires.

ComeBack
119 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 11, 2010 12:08 |  #36

I work for Geek Squad and I get questions like this all the time. The best thing I can say about Best buy is if they offer an accidental (ADH) you will see on your receipt it is very wise to get it. It will cover

-Normal wear and tear
-Error codes
-Once a year cleanings
-Dead pixels
-Accidental drops (Will repair or REPLACE damaged parts) This also includes the lens, If you bought the lens kit
-Battery replacement

If we no longer carry the camera you bought and it needs to be replaced you either get a BREAND NEW camera with the SAME spec's or your money back onto a Gift Card you can use to purchase another camera. Doing this after the FIRST year of your service plan will FULFILL your plan, meaning you will have to buy a new plan for your new camera. ($350 is a lot better than paying another $1400 or whatever price you paid) If you have your camera REPLACED within the first year you can have the service plan transferred over.

The way I see it personally If I drop my 50D from 4-5 feet something is going to happen to it. I would rather know that its covered then hope nothing is wrong. NO ONE at Best Buy works on commission or gets any type of kick backs for selling anything, they are just there to help you out.

FlickR (external link)
Gear List

montanawild
680 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 11, 2010 12:16 |  #37

Extended warranties are called sucker bets in Vegas. LOL Total waste of money.

1DmkIV, 5DmkII, 40Dw/grip
gear list:

http://dehaanphotograp​hy.net (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 11, 2010 12:48 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

WaltA wrote in post #10888041 (external link)
Most electronics last at least a year. A 1 year warranty is a laugh.

That's wrong. Most electronics (cameras included) are either lemons out of the box, which will be covered by Canon's 1 year warranty, or they last a long time. My tv's, amps, tuners, DVD players etc, all last at least 7 years. Now things like DVD players are replaced with newer technology, even though the old one still functions.

Why do you think futureshop gives you such a heavy sales pitch on their extended ( costly ) warranties? Do you think they have your best interest in mind or do you think the warranties are a big margin item for them?

ComeBack
119 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 11, 2010 12:49 |  #39

vid1900 wrote in post #10889974 (external link)
Remember that your "gold" MasterCard gives you 1 or 2 year of automatic extension of the manufacturer's warranty (look at your terms to see) so you get that for free.

This is what Consumer Reports has to say about extended warranties:

http://discussions.con​sumerreports.org …ebtag=cr-shopping&entry=7 (external link)

Extended warranties and service plans are completely different. An extended warranty covers exactly what MFG covers nothing more. Service plans cover MFG and what ever else they say in the paperwork. Let say you buy the 7D If you have kids, pets, room mates, parties, travel a lot, exc. you are running a risk of having some type of accident.
I am not saying your camera is going to break or someone is going to harm it but about 50% of customers I help with most ADH clams are because of someone else. I had a man come in just yesterday he had gotten some sand in his XSI lens kit and only had the 1yr MFG warranty. I told him that is not covered under canons warranty if you were to have the Best Buy plan we would order you a new lens. He went over and bought a new lens because he did not have the plan. Do I have it on my 50D? Yes, I paid the extra money to have it covered. Do I have it on my XSI I bought open box? No, because the cost of the unit VS the cost of the plan was not economical. In the end it is all up to you and how you want to spend your money.

FlickR (external link)
Gear List

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 11, 2010 12:52 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

sickboy11 wrote in post #10889914 (external link)
It does not cover your camera being fully submerged.

My laptop's accidental coverage runs out in March.It will find it's way on to some concrete before then.

Nice to know who NOT to deal with on the buy and sell forums.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 11, 2010 14:01 |  #41

sandpiper wrote in post #10889609 (external link)
The thing that would bother me, is the 'one claim' clause that people have mentioned.

Many repairs (most?) come under a standard charge, if sent back to Canon, which is less than $350

So, the camera develops a fault after 18 months, the original (Canon) warranty has finished and the repair will cost $250. What do you do?

Claim on the extended warranty and so get it repaired at no additional cost? Then you have just paid $350 for a $250 repair and now have no warranty remaining.

Send it to Canon, pay the $250 and keep your extended warranty active for the remaining two and a half years, in case something really expensive goes wrong? What if nothing else goes wrong and you have paid for a repair you didn't need to. You are now down $600 and had the one repair.

The warranty will be handy if you get a total loss, but otherwise will likely be a waste of money. If you use it for a normal repair, it will likely cost more than the repair would have anyway.

Even with a total loss, insurance is going to be more effective because you can claim more than once, so you still have protection.

There seems to be some misunderstanding on your part and the part of many.

Accidental Damage Replacement is the only place where the ONE TIME part comes into play. This is the Accidental Damage from Handling ( ADH )

Even then there are cases where more than one repair will be done. For example, with a Laptop you are allowed two CRACKED SCREENS before the plan is " fulfilled in its entirety ".

One replacement due to ADH and the plan is fulfilled.

ADH = spilled drink - dropped down the steps - sat on the laptop - dropped the bag the camera was in and the camera broke.

As for normal failures not resulting from ADH - the plans may vary.

Laptops have a NO LEMON POLICY - if your laptop require three covered repairs and comes in for a fourth repair you are entitled to a replacement.

AGAIN - you are expressing some confusion about what you call the 'one claim' clause.

Coverage also depends on the plan purchased - you can just extend the warranty with NO ADH coverage for a lot less. ADH coverage adds considerably to the plan.

sponsored links

7,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy Service Plan for 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.