Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 02 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D (mkIII) evolution?

Bave
569 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2010 20:24 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

I hope the 5D MkIII does not have:
7D's initial auto focus issues
Swing out screen
More megapixels
Higher price (kidding). It'll likely be $3000 plus street initially.
SD card

I hope it has:
Better autofocus without issues
5fps
Better ISO performance
Onboard flash like D700

Bob
Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 7D

sponsored links
mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 09, 2010 20:34 |  #32

I hope it does have the articulating screen

you people are so strange

i would love that thing. and i dont see how it's any more of a detriment to weather sealing than a pop up flash.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 10, 2010 06:44 |  #33

Bave wrote in post #10881522 (external link)
I hope the 5D MkIII does not have:
7D's initial auto focus issues
Swing out screen
More megapixels
Higher price (kidding). It'll likely be $3000 plus street initially.
SD card

I hope it has:
Better autofocus without issues
5fps
Better ISO performance
Onboard flash like D700

With all the talk of 50MP at the Canon Expo I don't think you get your wish. Just improved sensors to deal with the high MP count. ;)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 10, 2010 08:25 |  #34

mikekelley wrote in post #10881576 (external link)
I hope it does have the articulating screen

you people are so strange

i would love that thing. and i dont see how it's any more of a detriment to weather sealing than a pop up flash.

but the 5dmk2 doesn't have a pop-up flash. am i missing something?

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 10, 2010 09:07 |  #35

Make it a smaller form 1DsIV rather than a full frame xxD. Maybe dual cards. Improved ISO performance would always be nice.

Mp is fine, screw the pop-up flash and articulated screen.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80
<<all zooms for sale—zeiss, canon & fuji>>

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 10, 2010 11:12 |  #36

magwai wrote in post #10884000 (external link)
but the 5dmk2 doesn't have a pop-up flash. am i missing something?

the 7d does, and has comparable weather sealing to the 5d

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

AllenF
231 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 11, 2010 10:48 |  #37

Canon Rumors is leaning towards 28 MP's in the 5DmkIII. This puts it close to the FF version of the 40D sensor IIRC. IMO this looks to be the sweet spot for now.

I do not think Canon will want to offer worse IQ or noise or banding then the current 5DmkII.

Canon seems to put newer ideas in lower priced units to beta test these features and work the bugs out. Then they put them in the top of the line bodies where there is far less drama and at those price points rightly so.

Here is my wish list.

100% VF
7D AF and AF points.
5 FPS and 5 exposure bracketing for -2,-1,0 and +1,+2 shots for HDR LANDSCAPES. I see this body as a portrait and landscape body and the 7D as an action body.

7D weather sealing but PLEASE give us a weather sealed shutter button and wheels. Remember it is a LANDSCAPE body?

Dedicated movie button like the 7D and more FULLY programmable buttons.

4,2,2 video would be lovely and eliminate the banding issues is a must.

Tie the histogram to the RAW file.

I wish Canon would give us the absolute best chimping feature. Take the pic and the rear screen shows the pic zoomed to 5x or 10x (your choice)on your AF point so you know in a instant how your focus was. No need to press a mess of buttons and stopping your work flow.

Am I the only one who gets this last feature?

7D, 20D, G10, T90, A-1, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 500D, 2 ea Canon 580 ex, Canon ST-E2, Velbon El Carmagne 630 Carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech Leveling Base, Velbon Carbon Fiber SHERPA PRO POD NEO POD 8, Tons of RRS plates and quick release mounts, and flash stands diffusors and back drops, ETC...

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 11, 2010 17:41 |  #38

AllenF wrote in post #10889828 (external link)
5 exposure bracketing for -2,-1,0 and +1,+2 shots for HDR LANDSCAPES.

I wish Canon would give us the absolute best chimping feature. Take the pic and the rear screen shows the pic zoomed to 5x or 10x (your choice)on your AF point so you know in a instant how your focus was. No need to press a mess of buttons and stopping your work flow.

Am I the only one who gets this last feature?

Forget fixed bracketing, give us 3,5,7,9 options.. at whatever intervals we want to define.

and while I don't check my focus all the time, I get ya on pre-zoomed on AF point. The problem is... when multiple AF points are activated. I personally use center point most of the time, but not everyone does

AllenF
231 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 11, 2010 18:43 |  #39

randomlinh wrote in post #10891309 (external link)
Forget fixed bracketing, give us 3,5,7,9 options.. at whatever intervals we want to define.

and while I don't check my focus all the time, I get ya on pre-zoomed on AF point. The problem is... when multiple AF points are activated. I personally use center point most of the time, but not everyone does

Currently we only get 3 exposures in bracketing so 5 would be better and I was using an example not to limit it to my example. I doubt we will be given more than 5 exposures but more would be nice but 5 is a move in the right direction IMO.

Even when more than one AF point is used there seems to be one that is at the center of the AF activity at least it is on the 7D. Right now on the 5DmkII it is only one AF point that is the primary one used . So multiples are not an issue.

Perhaps you are not checking your focus because it is such a slow and awkward affair. I bet more would check if it popped up as I described above. It would flow so much faster and would allow us to chimp after the fact on a burst as well. Instead of looking at the image and then zooming in with many presses and then toggling over to the AF point. What a painful process. For now it is not worth it. Add in the battery drain to do this every time and it is lame.

7D, 20D, G10, T90, A-1, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 500D, 2 ea Canon 580 ex, Canon ST-E2, Velbon El Carmagne 630 Carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech Leveling Base, Velbon Carbon Fiber SHERPA PRO POD NEO POD 8, Tons of RRS plates and quick release mounts, and flash stands diffusors and back drops, ETC...

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 11, 2010 20:24 |  #40

SuzyView wrote in post #10835834 (external link)
The new thing is the swing out LCD.

I really hope the future of SLRs does not have this.

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2010 12:49 |  #41

I would like to see some better ISO capabilities rather than the high MP's.

And better AF would be nice too!

Maybe 2K video RAW shooting?

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

sponsored links

8,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D (mkIII) evolution?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.