Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 23:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you test your lens sharpness?

six4
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2010 23:37 |  #1

I'm just curious - how does everybody test their lens sharpness?

Does everybody use the ISO 12233 charts? Something else?

sponsored links
Chrisku13
56 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 12, 2010 00:47 |  #2

I use a process called photography, in which I go out and test the lens in various situations and come home to see if it looks alright.

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 00:47 |  #3

Chrisku13 wrote in post #10892898 (external link)
I use a process called photography, in which I go out and test the lens in various situations and come home to see if it looks alright.

Agreed, that is the ultimate test. :)

What I've done is stick my camera on a tripod and take the same shot with multiple lenses with the same settings and focal lengths (to whatever extent they overlap) as well as at their biggest apertures and min/max focal lengths. Then I "pixel peep" the resulting images and see how the new lens stacks up against the others that I know I've been happy with. It's still rather subjective, but to me that's OK because the important part is that I am pleased with the results.

Besides sharpness, the smoothness of the bokeh is something I personally look at if I'm trying to judge a lens. Not that you asked about that, but it matters a lot to me. The subject could be extremely sharp but I won't like it if the circles of light in the background have hard edges or look more like hexagons than circles.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

six4
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 01:57 |  #4

Not a very objective method but I guess you were just trying to be funny.

I was looking for an objective way people tested their lenses. I understand that there are other aspects of lenses besides sharpness, but I am specifically referring to sharpness.

Going out and shooting is great - but sharpness cannot be quantified or compared in situations which are not controlled.

I guess I'll just stick with the ISO 12233 charts.

six4
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 02:08 |  #5

dmnelson wrote in post #10892902 (external link)
What I've done is stick my camera on a tripod and take the same shot with multiple lenses with the same settings and focal lengths (to whatever extent they overlap) as well as at their biggest apertures and min/max focal lengths. Then I "pixel peep" the resulting images and see how the new lens stacks up against the others that I know I've been happy with. It's still rather subjective, but to me that's OK because the important part is that I am pleased with the results. .

I've tried this as well. Seems to be pretty good way to compare sharpness outside of charts.

Kiwikat
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 12, 2010 02:11 as a reply to  @ six4's post |  #6

I can take both my 300mm L and 100 macro out into nature and bring home shots. It is obvious which is sharper. Of course if you don't have another sharp lens to compare it to, that doesn't work too well.

So basically I test all my lenses' sharpness by comparing them to a lens they can't possibly be as sharp as... :p :cool:

(OT: I am absolutely blown away that Canon is selling that lens so cheap. 519 dollars on Amazon now! Whoever doesn't own one of these is nuts!)

Seriously though, you shouldn't have to shoot charts to tell if you've got a sharp lens or not. Go out and shoot insects or still life. If you're pleased with the results after pixel peeping for a few hours, you've got a good copy.

"Would you really want to be the Canon rep responsible for dealing with POTN?" -FlyingPhotog
Nikon D7100 Gripped | 18-140G VR | 150-600 VC 'Tamzooka'

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 12, 2010 02:19 |  #7

And thats just how I do itn no test charts or MA, if it looks sharp then its good enough for me, I've never had a bad one yet.

Gear List

six4
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 02:23 |  #8

Perhaps it's that my novice eyes can't tell "very sharp" from just "sharp" and the only way I can really validate my subjective (and naturally sometimes biased opinions) is through some type of controlled comparison.

Between the lenses I have - I don't think I can really say which lenses are obviously sharper than the next. Maybe I'm just getting old.

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 12, 2010 02:26 |  #9

I had a lot of trouble telling which lens was sharper than the other. All the Ls are very sharp. I don't look at the pictures at 100% and peak at each pixel, but I can tell they are much sharper than the kit lenses I had. The new 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is noticeably sharp though, I was able to easily tell it was much sharper than the mark I.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 12, 2010 02:28 |  #10

six4 wrote in post #10892692 (external link)
I'm just curious - how does everybody test their lens sharpness?

Does everybody use the ISO 12233 charts? Something else?

Everybody doesn't

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

six4
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 02:30 |  #11

neil_r wrote in post #10893146 (external link)
Everybody doesn't

lol. Clearly that is that case. In fact, it seems like quite the opposite - I'm in the "few and far between" category.

Don't I feel like a novice. :o

I suppose this is why photography is a hobby and not a profession for me

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 12, 2010 03:05 |  #12

don't get too obsessed with lens sharpness - you might want to read about the "people with their pillars"
- same category as people worshipping red ring, white barrel, full-frame, the list goes on and on

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

six4
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2010 03:20 |  #13

bigpow wrote in post #10893211 (external link)
don't get too obsessed with lens sharpness - you might want to read about the "people with their pillars"
- same category as people worshipping red ring, white barrel, full-frame, the list goes on and on

well - I'd say I'm not unreasonable about it - hence why I try to have some type of objective approach to the matter.

It seems sharpness is one of the main reason why we are willing to pay more for glass therefore it is important (to me) to distinguish between glass.

Supertac
137 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 12, 2010 03:22 |  #14

I see if it will cut the hair on my arm. If not, I sharpen in some more.

Canon 40D w/BG-E2, Canon G11, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, Canon 17-55 IS USM, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon 550ex, 430ex, Sunpak 555, Feisol CT-3442 ARL, Markins Q3, RRS L-plate, Yongnuo RF-602 system, Photoflex umbrellas with Impact stands, Lowepro bags

bigpow
708 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 12, 2010 06:00 |  #15

six4 wrote in post #10893239 (external link)
well - I'd say I'm not unreasonable about it - hence why I try to have some type of objective approach to the matter.

It seems sharpness is one of the main reason why we are willing to pay more for glass therefore it is important (to me) to distinguish between glass.

I think most people would just use the lens, and they usually found out if they like it or not after several shots. Unless you suspect your lens is a bad copy, I think you could also just try it out the normal way.

I used to worry too because my buddies would only recommend certain lenses, that kit lenses don't produce sharp good images, that primes are superior over zooms, etc. Needless to say, I went through several lenses, only to figure out that most people automatically associate expensive lenses with good image quality. Vice versa, a sharp at wide-open lens, but cheap (from 3rd party), would automatically get associated with bad image quality, bad AF, etc.

Be happy with what you have, go out and have fun.
If you have some time, read this article:
http://gapingvoid.com/​2004/07/31/pillar-management/ (external link)

[5DM2: 50L, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200/2.8IS L II, Zeiss 2/35 ZE]
[Fuji X100S] [Sony A7 II: 55/1.8, 28-70]

sponsored links

4,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you test your lens sharpness?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.