Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 09:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lynda.com - Your experience

MIDI_EVIL
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 10, 2010 09:26 |  #1

Hi there!

This is my first post, but I've been reading a while and thoroughly enjoy the spirit here.

I was hoping to get some feedback on Lynda.com and their tutorials. I'm looking to purchase their DVD's rather than subscribe. I like the idea of taking the product with me, and at my own pace.

Any of you guys have any experience with this?

I'm hoping to purchase one on web design, digital photography post processing and photoshop.

I'd appreciate some feedback.

R.

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 10, 2010 10:18 |  #2

When I registered PSCS4, I choose the 30 day free trial. Waited till I had "some" spare time, and spend a few weeks watching tutorials :lol:

No idea on the DvD's, but the tutorials are good. (depending on author of course)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

KHill
27 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Sep 11, 2010 11:25 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #3

Like the previous post, I received a free trail on a Photoshop upgrade and I thought it was very good. The tutorials ran 5 to 10 minutes and because you can pause them and switch the program and do the steps along with the video it was very helpful. I liked experience so well, I'm seriously considering subscribing.

selvage
76 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 11, 2010 11:27 |  #4

i find tutorials by "total training" much better than lynda.com

after u get the basics for photoshop look up "Photoshop Top Secret"

Canon EOS 40D, 18-55 IS, 50 1.8|s95

will-san
523 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 11, 2010 11:54 |  #5

I use lynda.com all the time (I had my own subscription but now my company has a corporate account) I love the tutorials, I mainly use it for Photoshop, After Effects and and 3DS Max. I always see the adds to buy the training series on CD and wonder who on earth would do that. They seem very expensive compared to just having a subscription account and way less flexible. I like being able to search the online offerings. If I am having an issue with some particular topic I can do a search and find it. I also find that the thing I am looking for is not in training series I am currently on. Like you may work through the CS5 tutorials but find that some great technique is hiding in back in the CS2 training. There are literally hundreds of photoshop titles and I find my self jumping around between then quite a bit.Some are way better than others. Unless you want to do all your training in a cabin in the woods with no internet connection I would just get a subscription.

Flickr (external link)
Gear List

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 11, 2010 11:58 as a reply to  @ selvage's post |  #6

Lynda.com fan here.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DRBair
369 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 11, 2010 12:41 |  #7

I really enjoy the training. All of the classes that I have taken were by Chris Orwig. He does a great job explaining photoshop techniques. I like how they break it into small segments, makes it easier to stop and start later.

Canon 5D MarkIII, 7D,70-200mm f/2.8 L:D
Canon 24-105 mm f/4, Canon 85mm f/1.8
Tamron 28-300, Tamron 150-600
DRBair Photography (external link)

blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2010 23:07 |  #8

I love it. You can get a 7 day free trial by using this link:

http://www.lynda.com/d​eke (external link)

Deke McClelland is a Photoshop god imo and is also great at teaching illustrator. Chris Orwig did a nice job with some of his latest training as well.

---------------
Chris

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 12, 2010 23:21 as a reply to  @ blurry_image's post |  #9

I've used them for a number of different applications over the years. One of the best online training companies that you are going to find. They are to the point and cover things really well. I will echo an earlier comment that it is largely based on the instructor you get but I haven't found any that I could not follow.

The big ace that they have when it comes to Photoshop is Deke. The guy is a wonderful instructor and is exceptionally easy to follow.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

kkamin
183 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 13, 2010 01:24 |  #10

I agree that buying the discs are not a good way to go. Like another person mentioned, you might need to look up something not covered in the series you hypothetically purchased, and would be in a jam. I have CS5 but I am watching many CS3 videos right now that cover things like Lab color and Channels and Masks. I see why they don't update those videos every 1.5 years in concert with Adobe releases, because those things are concepts that don't change too much. Membership is either $25 or $39 a month, the price of a decent dinner with a beer or two. If you are serious about training, this is cheap.

I shoot with a disposable Dora the Explorer camera
I have a special 18-55mm lens made from tree bark and unicorn farts
I start uncontrollable fires for my lighting
www.kevinkaminphoto.co​m (external link)

Ultimo~
24 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 13, 2010 03:33 |  #11

blurry_image wrote in post #10897677 (external link)
I love it. You can get a 7 day free trial by using this link:

http://www.lynda.com/d​eke (external link)

Deke McClelland is a Photoshop god imo and is also great at teaching illustrator. Chris Orwig did a nice job with some of his latest training as well.

Take this guys advice and use this trial to download all the videos, seems like a flawless plan to me?

kkamin
183 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 13, 2010 04:42 |  #12

You can't download the videos, they stream them to you.

I shoot with a disposable Dora the Explorer camera
I have a special 18-55mm lens made from tree bark and unicorn farts
I start uncontrollable fires for my lighting
www.kevinkaminphoto.co​m (external link)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 13, 2010 13:47 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Ultimo~ wrote in post #10898422 (external link)
Take this guys advice and use this trial to download all the videos, seems like a flawless plan to me?

Yeah, they wouldn't have thought of that...

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

blurry_image
473 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 13, 2010 17:34 |  #14

Ultimo~ wrote in post #10898422 (external link)

Hmmm - when did I give advice to steal from lynda.com? :rolleyes:

---------------
Chris

MIDI_EVIL
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2010 04:45 |  #15

Thank you all for your valuable advice!

I definitely now see the sense in subscription over purchasing.

I'm going to try the 7 day trial!

sponsored links

7,014 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lynda.com - Your experience
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.