Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 00:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1Ds Mark II for Weddings?

jasonleehl
521 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2010 03:54 |  #16

The Ghost of FM wrote in post #10882732 (external link)
The 1DsMkII is a no nonsense, built like a tank camera and so long as you can live without live view and the ability to shoot beyond ISO 3200, it can capture amazingly good images with good glass and most importantly , a shooter who knows what they're doing with a camera.

I've had mine for close to two years now and absolutely love it. :cool:

Cheers!

Agreed! :) and may i add without the sharper and bigger lcd screen.

You're welcome to follow me at Instagram (external link) or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sg (external link)

sponsored links
Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 12, 2010 01:43 |  #17

Well I just got a used 1Ds2 for £1050, which I think is a pretty good price (in the UK). It should arrive by Tuesday. I also bought a 17-40L and am going to buy a 70-200 2.8 IS, which should give me an eye-opening introduction to FF shooting!! Can't wait!

Gear

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2010 02:24 |  #18

I just ordered a 1ds ii from a forum member, can't wait till it gets here.

This Is my first ff camera and I wanted it over the 5d because I fell in love with the feel of my 1d classic and the very good af system.

My 7d will he used in situations where I want to travel lite, shoot long, do video or do anything in low light. I'd like to use the 1ds in studio lighting or outdoors for the most part.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

kevitivity
152 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 12, 2010 02:28 as a reply to  @ Erik_L's post |  #19

A lot competitive wedding photogs these days also provide the option of high quality HD video. You might want to consider that in the equation.

Blog  (external link)| Flickr (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 12, 2010 02:32 as a reply to  @ kevitivity's post |  #20

The 1ds2 is a great camera and was the best FF camera when it come out and used by hundreds of wedding pros, if I was a serious wedding pro I would be wanting A 1 series over a 5d any day of the week.

Gear List

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2010 03:04 |  #21

malla1962 wrote in post #10893160 (external link)
The 1ds2 is a great camera and was the best FF camera when it come out

Not to single you out, but these comments, to me, are really stupid. Of course it was the best - it is a 1D and it was the most recent model... Every single canon to be released, ever, is the best Canon so far in it's class. Just seems like an unnecessary comment that really means nothing - and I hear/read it so often :P

/rant

Yeah.

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 12, 2010 06:16 |  #22

In its Day it was the best, today be better than 95% of most out there and it will do a stella job, lets face it there are a lot of so called wedding photographers out there using a lot worse.
I would only buy it though if money was really short and you were offered one at as very good price, or a back up,.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

xmattkx
22 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 12, 2010 06:42 |  #23

Don't underestimate the 1DsII, it is a serious body that still has a ton left to offer. If you're ever expecting to take any sort of pics in adverse conditions, you will love that you have the weatherproof body.

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,931 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 12, 2010 08:57 |  #24

I love my 1Ds2... I've shot several weddings with it (as my primary)... The focusing is dead-on in both good light and "not-so" good light (wedding photogs know what I'm talking about)... The "ring of fire" outer focusing spots are fantastic and reliable (trying saying that to a xxD body)... High ISO performance is controllable... I have no hesitations to shoot @ 1600 or 3200 (if need be)... Add some fast glass and you've got a combo screaming for action... All the other extras of a 1D-series are just icing on the cake (no pun intended)... Hehhehehhehee... Congrats on your upcoming acquisition!!!

BTW, my wedding combo gear is a 1Ds2 + 24-70 2.8L (primary) and 1D2N + 70-200 2.8L IS (secondary)... Primes are always in the mix (depending on the shot I want), but I like to start with the combo above for initial coverage purposes...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 12, 2010 09:08 |  #25

kevitivity wrote:
A lot competitive wedding photogs these days also provide the option of high quality HD video. You might want to consider that in the equation.

Sounds ridiculous to me, no offence - I'm a photographer, not a videographer, and if the camera does something that can't be printed, I don't care...and neither should my clients. :)

Gear

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 12, 2010 15:54 |  #26

Erik_L wrote in post #10893209 (external link)
Not to single you out, but these comments, to me, are really stupid. Of course it was the best - it is a 1D and it was the most recent model... Every single canon to be released, ever, is the best Canon so far in it's class. Just seems like an unnecessary comment that really means nothing - and I hear/read it so often :P

/rant

Yeah.

I will try and make this a bit more simple for you, when it come out it was the best FF camera out there, it was and still is a fantastic camera I had one for a long time, then I got the 1ds3 which was even better but does not make the mk2 a bad one. The bottom line is it will do a great job for weddings and if he wants something better he will have to go for a 1ds3 which he has not mentioned.

Gear List

Davie82
THREAD ­ STARTER
257 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 13, 2010 03:12 |  #27

The 1Ds3 is indubitably an amazing piece of kit but it's just far too expensive for me at the moment... I just bought a 1Ds2, 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L IS, and another 580EX II all for about £3K, and a used 1Ds3 would have cost me more than all of that. :o

Gear

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 13, 2010 11:18 |  #28

Davie82 wrote in post #10898369 (external link)
The 1Ds3 is indubitably an amazing piece of kit but it's just far too expensive for me at the moment... I just bought a 1Ds2, 17-40L, 70-200 2.8L IS, and another 580EX II all for about £3K, and a used 1Ds3 would have cost me more than all of that. :o

It will do a good job for you.

Gear List

DRFRANCK
103 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 13, 2010 17:26 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #29

You'll love your setup no doubt...

The combined weight of the body and the 70-7002.8 will likely give you a few camera shaked shots at first.

When it's been on for a while and you get tired i may show...find yourself a comfy position with the setup that will reduce the tiring effect.

A good old tripod & shutter release combo will make you realise that you have a very sharp zoom lens....if it's not...likely speed was too low or you were tired.

Once used to it you'll love the results.

Happy shooting,

:)
FG

1 DS MK III , 24-70L 2.8 , 70-200L 2.8 IS , Bag full of stuff

dmnelson
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 13, 2010 23:40 |  #30

I'm not using my 1Ds2 for weddings, but I can't imagine it being inadequate for any purpose besides extreme high-speed sports shooting. I love the image quality, the build quality, and the way it feels in my hands. And even as an older model, it's a heck of a lot better than what some other people are using for weddings.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

10,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
1Ds Mark II for Weddings?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.