Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Print problem

CRob
67 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 14, 2010 07:20 |  #1

Is there anyway when I do my editing that I can make the photo the exact way so that when I go to order prints its not making me crop the image and having to cut something out?

Street Dreams Automotive Event Coverage www.streetdreamsweb.co​m (external link)

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 14, 2010 07:24 |  #2

Is this any help?

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=vMIRRdzoCNQ (external link)

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 14, 2010 08:54 |  #3

It boils down to the fact that various print sizes have various proportional dimensions, called "aspect ratios" that are not necessarily the same as the aspect ratio of your image. Canon DSLR sensors have an aspect ratio of 1:1.5 (or 2:3) that will fit some print sizes without needing to crop, but not a lot of them. For example, take that 2:3 and multiply the dimensions and you can get a 4x6 print or an 8x12 print or a 24x36 all without cropping.

But, if you consider other common print sizes you will see the problem: to print a 5x7 you will have to crop some off the wide dimension, to print an 8x10 you will have to crop even more, and so if you go through a bunch of common sizes you will see that you can produce some by multiplying the 1:1.5 factors but for a bunch you will have to crop.

So, what should you do? Well, I take two approaches to cropping and printing. For some images I decide that they "work best" at a given aspect ratio, or at least close to it. So, for some images I may decide to only print at the 2:3 aspect ratio (such as a 4x6) or I may push it with say a 5x7, but it wouldn't work as an 8x10. But with images with a sufficient amount of "leeway" I wouldn't necessarily crop it until I wanted to either print to a specific size (or maybe for a specific display purpose).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 14, 2010 14:44 |  #4

CRob,

This whole film/sensor aspect ratio and the aspect ratios of various "standard" sizes, which in fact are not standard at all is a minefield. Where does A4 fit into our normal print sizes? Answer: It does not.

What it boils dow to is that you need to specifically crop your image to whatever size you intend to print. Do also remember to allow for any border you want, because that can change the aspect ratio. For example, a standard 3:2 full frame image will print borderless nicely on a 6x4 paper, but add a 1/4" border and the aspect ratio changes and messes up the nice even borders you thought you were getting.

I print at home and one benefit is I am not tied to particular paper sizes. I crop to sut the image, then mat and frame generally to the next or even next again standard frame size.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Print problem
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.