Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does everyone criticize the 50d

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 14, 2010 11:42 |  #76

I think basically the noise / IQ issues that arise from trying to cram in too many pixels into a small sensor.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

sponsored links
sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 14, 2010 11:51 as a reply to  @ post 10897075 |  #77

I like my 50D.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,293 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 14, 2010 17:13 |  #78

just got my 50D yesterday, first shots were at 3200 ISO and if what Ive seen is anything to go by at that ISO, I'm wondering what all this talk about noise is!

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

JonWes
49 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2010 18:16 |  #79

I am very pleased with my 50D. Coming from a 350D the noise is really a non issue anymore. I am very comfortable to push it up to 1600. Unless you are printing enormous sizes, You won't notice it.

Nikon D600 & Sigma 50mm

nitehawk55
856 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2010 19:19 as a reply to  @ JonWes's post |  #80

Is it possable Canon at some point made some improvements on the 50D noise issue and just kept quiet about as to not admit there was a problem ?

Syntaxxor
243 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 14, 2010 19:23 |  #81

nitehawk55 wrote in post #10909648 (external link)
Is it possable Canon at some point made some improvements on the 50D noise issue and just kept quiet about as to not admit there was a problem ?

I suppose a firmware upgrade on newer serials is possible; along with putting out newer firmware to download. I can't imagine a small change like that could make a huge difference. However; like I already said in my previous post, I have no qualms with it's noise. (Coming up from the 1000D)

||Canon 50D||Canon Rebel XS|| EF-S 18-55MM IS||EF-S 55-250mm IS||EF 50mm 1.8 MK2||EF 28-135MM IS USM||430EX II||

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Sep 14, 2010 19:49 |  #82

They sure did--within weeks of release.

Canon marketing promised 1 1/2 stops lower noise than the 40D --so I put down my money and had one of the first available to the general public.

It was noisy as He!! and had some pretty severe banding at high ISO--so it never left the store and I sure didn't give it a very good review.

A firmware update was available soon after.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 14, 2010 20:03 as a reply to  @ dave kadolph's post |  #83

It was probably due to a combination of the dpreview review, early acr/dpp software, and rumor-spreading (probably jealous) 40D owners. Had both a 40D and a 50D. The ONLY thing that I missed on the 40D was the C3 setting. Otherwise, the 50D is better, period. You do need to either expose properly or STTR in order to get best results, but I do that anyways.

coldcuts113
930 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 14, 2010 21:25 |  #84

I would go for the 50D in a minute.. Especially with it new from an Auth Dealer for $788!! If I did, I'd be sleeping outside...

Nikon D4, Sony RX10, Sony RX100.
Past Gear: (most recently) 5D3, L's, etc.

RLJSlick
416 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 14, 2010 21:28 |  #85

I think the 50D is an awesome camera! Is it perfect, of course not but it's a great camera, and I don't hesitate to say its nicer then the 60D that precede it.

Ricky L. Jones
Canon 7Dmk II, 5Dmk III, 7D, 50D
About me (external link)
Twitter (external link)
Google+ (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Ziffle
Goldmember
1,896 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 14, 2010 22:10 |  #86

Sure it is....
they could have made a change in the CMOS process and never tell anybody.

I shot a my first year of weddings work on a 50D.
Feed the 50D some good glass and proper to a little hot exposure it did just fine.

I never got any response, "looks like a cropper gone bad".
I did, on occasion, under exposed and found pushing not great but usable. I learned my lesson.

It is my impression that Lightroom was not to kind until Lightroom 2.5 or so.

Love the ergonomic and i got a feeling that is where the 60D will fall down.
Especially shooters looking for a back-up in some professional capacity - even weekend warriors.

HoosierJoe
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 14, 2010 22:58 |  #87

aladyforty wrote in post #10908946 (external link)
just got my 50D yesterday, first shots were at 3200 ISO and if what Ive seen is anything to go by at that ISO, I'm wondering what all this talk about noise is!

Mostly people who blame their equipment for user error.

Ain't nothin but a thing.

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 14, 2010 23:38 |  #88

ha, the 50d owners are the most staunch defenders of any camera by a longshot.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,293 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 15, 2010 00:02 |  #89

mikekelley wrote in post #10911341 (external link)
ha, the 50d owners are the most staunch defenders of any camera by a longshot.

i would defend my 40D as much, so far I see little difference between the two cameras image quality wise, however I'm still testing the 50D out and have to go through numerous lenses and weather conditions before i can say which is better. Far as I can tell both cameras are great

FUJI XT3 CANON 5D3 & a bunch of lenses for both
https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)

Er1kksen
175 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2010 00:11 |  #90

curiousgeorge wrote in post #10906956 (external link)
I think basically the noise / IQ issues that arise from trying to cram in too many pixels into a small sensor.

...which are mostly fiction.

I'm not a 50D owner, but I'll go ahead and be a staunch defender of what I consider to be one of the best cameras with a bad rap I've ever encountered. You'll not see me posting much praise of my old 40D, however. It was just plain ol' inferior. No real shame to that, as the 50D was/is a fantastic camera.

40D, 85mm f1.8, DC 952AF flash

sponsored links

17,853 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does everyone criticize the 50d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.