Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Sep 2010 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-70 L Story

rebop
540 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 14, 2010 21:57 |  #1

I'll try to keep this reasonably brief, but thought I would share.

First week of April I bought a 24-70 UY date code new. I had just bought a 70-200 F/2.8 and was blown away by the sharpness, even wide open. The 24-70 disappointed in both softness and chromatic aberration.

So, I sent it to Canon Irvine. They agreed it had a problem and adjusted, sent a cut and paste explanation and sent it back. It was better, but still not as good as the 70-200, or 24-105 for that matter, and I kept it for a while and tested and shot. Sent it back again. So soft and hard to focus wide open or even at F/3.5.

They found more problems (why didn't they find them the first time?). Sent it back, tested extensively and still not happy.

I escalated to Customer Relations. They would not exchange but wanted another opportunity to adjust. So back it went. This time for over two weeks and even got a call from the service manager. And back it came. Amazingly, they found the same problems as they found the second time. And had my "problem" mislisted on the work order as excessive back focusing, which was not my problem at all.

I took it on vacation after having to Micro Adjust out the excessive front focusing they put in. At F/5.6 or smaller, it was really good. Really. But again wide open, everything soft as can be. And I bought this lens for concert work so wide open is a requirement.

Got back to Customer Relations and escalated. The senior CR person finally agreed to exchange and I received a new lens today. To their credit, they came through although I wish the ordeal had been a bit less.

Night and day. This rivals my 70-200 and I can finally have confidence in it. It almost focuses in the dark. Softness gone.

So, this confirmed for me, especially on this model, there are good copies and bad copies. And also confirmed that some bad copies at least cannot be made good at Canon Irvine. In my opinion, they should have acknowledged the lens was not up to snuff earlier on. But I am pleased after all of this.

And as an aside, I bought this lens from J&R in April. I emailed them in July letting them know this was in no way their fault or problem, but as a large Canon dealer could they help me convince Canon to exchange it. They replied they would exchange it for me and if like new including packaging, no charge but freight. After 4 months!! Absolutely amazing customer service. If I had not been on the other side of the country and also feeling like Canon should own this problem, I would have taken them up on it. But they earned my future business with service like that. Not to say Adorama or B&H might not have handled it in a similar way, but this was over and above in my opinion.

So just thought I would share. I read so many threads on good copies, soft copies, is my lens sharp enough, you must be crazy, look at mine at 2.8, etc I had to chime in. There are bad copies. And sometimes service just cannot get them right.

~Bob

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - 5D MK II - G5 X
16-35
L - 24-105 II L - 24-70 II L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

sponsored links
Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,301 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 14, 2010 22:12 |  #2

It must have been built on a Monday or a Friday.

That's what we say about 'lemon' cars. Same story, every now and then you come across a vehicle that has non-stop, persistent, damn near impossible to diagnose problems. And the exact same model sitting next to it will be an angel. Much harder to get a vehicle exchanged though!

Melody

Johnny ­ Mango
90 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 15, 2010 01:48 |  #3

Very nice! Happy you got a "keeper" 24-70! Albeit you had to endure being tossed around CR.

1Dmk2 | 24-70L| "Nifty Fifty" | Tokina 12-24 F4 | 430EX |
J.Manangan Photography (external link)
Wish List: 70-200 F2.8L, 85 1.8

k1msta
426 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 15, 2010 02:09 |  #4

glad you got a good copy.. im rdy to make a jump to this lens or the 17-55

5D ìì • M • 22 • 24L ìì • 50L • 85L ìì • 24-70L ìì • 70-200L ìì • 580ex ìì
Flickr (external link) ++GEARS / FEEDBACK
++

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 15, 2010 08:49 |  #5

Glad to hear that you've got a new copy!
You'll enjoy it very much!

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 15, 2010 14:40 |  #6

Great news. When I shot with 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 IS mark I side by side I found my 24-70 to be sharper. The 70-200 mark II is a different story though :p.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 15, 2010 14:42 |  #7

This is a fantastic lens and J&R did something wonderful too.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

rebop
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 15, 2010 15:03 |  #8

SiaoP wrote in post #10915291 (external link)
Great news. When I shot with 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 IS mark I side by side I found my 24-70 to be sharper. The 70-200 mark II is a different story though :p.

Funny how that is, huh? My 70-200 is definitely sharper, though not by much now. But both now have very acceptable performance.

I guess one of my implied points are that it would be great to buy locally where you could test a handful of copies of lenses to choose before you buy. But local stock and local prices make that difficult and buying online definitely can get you a less than ideal lens.

~bob

I'm Bob and I'm an L-coholic
1DX - 5D MK II - G5 X
16-35
L - 24-105 II L - 24-70 II L
70-200 2.8 L - 70-300 L - 100 2.8 L Macro

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 15, 2010 19:55 |  #9

My 24-70 is also sharper than my 70-200 2.8 IS. Just by a bit. They are both fine lenses.

sponsored links

2,090 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-70 L Story
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.