Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon D7000...everything the 60D should have been but wasn't?

johnbachel
204 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 15, 2010 06:59 |  #31

I think the 60D is dead in the water at $100 less than the D7000. So, could this be the beginning of a series of price drops by Canon? One problem of course is that they won't want the 60D to compete with the T2i. I'm not sure where Canon goes - while the low end models compete well with Nikon, the mid-range doesn't look competitive at current prices.

John

Equipment: 50D, Sigma 17-70 f:2.8-4 OS, Sigma 70-300 OS, Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 strobe.

sponsored links
HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,206 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 15, 2010 07:29 |  #32

There are a few features that are less than stellar compared to the T2i (or 60D):

1080p video - D7000 only does 24p and no 60fps at 720p.
FPS: 6fps at 12-bit, 2.5 at 14-bit. Canon's figures are for 14-bit and the t2i is 3.7fps.

Otherwise, the d7000 looks like a wonderfully spec'd camera.

Flickr (external link) ~ Instagram (external link)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 15, 2010 07:44 as a reply to  @ HaroldC3's post |  #33

The existence of the D7000 is a good argument against all the apologists who argued that Canon couldn't possibly incorporate any more features into the 60D because "they have to make a profit". Right.

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 15, 2010 07:47 |  #34

HaroldC3 wrote in post #10912825 (external link)
There are a few features that are less than stellar compared to the T2i (or 60D):

1080p video - D7000 only does 24p and no 60fps at 720p.
FPS: 6fps at 12-bit, 2.5 at 14-bit. Canon's figures are for 14-bit and the t2i is 3.7fps.

Otherwise, the d7000 looks like a wonderfully spec'd camera.

Interesting...I can't find the 2.5fps claim in any of the launch documentation (or otherwise). I know that was the case with the D300/D300s, but the later D700 was not crippled in that manner and I can't see any documentation suggesting the new Expeed2-equipped D7000 is hampered at 14-bit. Can you provide a link to where you got this information?

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 15, 2010 07:50 |  #35

JelleVerherstraeten wrote in post #10912426 (external link)
Canon is definetly slacking on the camera body's if you compare it to Nikon!

Agreed. Canon is just trying to play catch up to bodies Nikon released last year, but Nikon spanks 'em every time they release a new body. Kinda pathetic.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 15, 2010 07:55 |  #36

HyperYagami wrote in post #10911545 (external link)
No articulated LCD. Booooooooooooooo.

This is definitely a benefit to the Nikon... ;)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Sep 15, 2010 08:09 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

:D

Think how awesome the d400 and d800 are gonna be.

Oh and my 70-200 2.8 VR II cost less than my 70-200 2.8L IS II BTW, Nikon lenses are more expensive mainly because they're newer. :)

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 15, 2010 08:14 |  #38
bannedPermanent ban

996gt2 wrote in post #10911524 (external link)
Estimated price is $1200. That puts it in the same range as the 60D, but this camera seems to have the 60D beaten in every esingle category...It seems to be comparable with the 7D, but at a much lower cost.

Doesn't factor the relatively retarded price of Nikon glass...

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #10913015 (external link)
Think how awesome the d400 and d800 are gonna be.

Oh and my 70-200 2.8 VR II cost less than my 70-200 2.8L IS II BTW, Nikon lenses are more expensive mainly because they're newer.

Yea....but even their old stuff can be more expensive than the newer one. By every right I should have a d700..I won't switch because the glass is just overpriced.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 15, 2010 08:15 |  #39

ingraman wrote in post #10912890 (external link)
The existence of the D7000 is a good argument against all the apologists who argued that Canon couldn't possibly incorporate any more features into the 60D because "they have to make a profit". Right.

Exactly, because we all know how hard and costly it would have been to add Micro Adjust.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,532 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 15, 2010 08:21 |  #40

996gt2 wrote in post #10911524 (external link)
The D7000 is the successor to Nikon's D90. Here are the official specs from DPreview (http://dpreview.com/pr​eviews/nikond7000/ (external link)).

Key features:
  • 16.2MP CMOS sensor
  • Magnesium alloy body with weather sealing
  • 1080p HD video recording with mic jack for external microphone
  • ISO 100-6400 (plus H1 and H2 equivalent to ISO 12,800/25,600)
  • 39-point AF system with 3D tracking (9 cross points)
  • 100% pentaprism viewfinder
  • 2016 pixel metering sensor
  • Scene Recognition System (see 2016 pixel sensor, above) aids metering + focus accuracy
  • Twin SD card slots
  • 3.0 inch 921k dot LCD screen
  • New Live View/movie shooting switch
  • Full-time AF in Live View/movie modes
  • Up to 6fps continuous shooting
  • Lockable shooting mode dial
  • Built-in intervalometer
  • Electronic virtual horizon
  • AF Microadjust
  • Wireless flash commander (CLS)
  • Shutter tested to 150k actuations

Estimated price is $1200. That puts it in the same range as the 60D, but this camera seems to have the 60D beaten in every esingle category...It seems to be comparable with the 7D, but at a much lower cost.

I see this camera targeted against the 7D, and not the 60D. Look at the legacy lens support, metal body, AF, and ability to assign custom functions to various buttons. But I do think it will sway a lot of first time DSLR buyers away from the 60D when you look at the features vs cost.

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 15, 2010 08:24 |  #41

bsmotril wrote in post #10913073 (external link)
I see this camera targeted against the 7D, and not the 60D.

Well, Canon was likely going after the D90 with the 60D, then Nikon raised the bar (again... substantially).

Currently, the D300s and the 7D compete, but I guess we'll see what the D300s gets replaced with. :lol:

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 15, 2010 08:26 |  #42

Nikon is taking the lead.

Canon is probably looking more toward the beginners and intermediates than the professionals.

Canon probably sells a lot more rebels and such than Nikon's beginner line, but Nikon is clearly aiming for the more serious photographer, and Canon is falling behind.

Of course, Canon and Nikon are in the business to make profits. That's their number-one priority, and if what they are doing is working, then what we think means less.

Thank you. bw!

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 15, 2010 08:29 |  #43

jwcdds wrote in post #10911913 (external link)
Wow. Suddenly, my 7D stopped working upon receiving news that it is now usurped by the D7000, and all the photos I've taken with it instantly deleted itself from my harddrives.

I feel more bad for the D300s owners that recently purchased their cameras than any potential 60D owner. 39-pt AF is likely more than enough for most people. Had I been a Nikon user and had bought the D300s within the past 6 months, I'd feel like Nikon kicked me in the nether-region with the release of the D7k. :lol:

Julian, that's me.
But I predicted that the replacement for the 300S would be much quicker. ;)

ps Changing systems is no fun. When I bought a N F2 new, years ago, I missed almost every candid shot I wanted to take. All the controls worked exactly the opposite to what I was used to (that was a Pentax Spotmatic back then.)

And--Canon owners are so fortunate. Remember screw mount lenses (Pentax)? Remember Nikon counterclockwise bayonet mount (still!!!) And indexing lenses with Nikon PHotomic finders? Having that on a photographers' camera is like teaching a child to stutter when they speak. My bad. I bought them. :]

DaveL

When I bought my Leica M4P the M6 came out 2 weeks later...pre internet.

Stuff happens. I'm glad I bought my d300s. I didn't like my d80. Frankly I liked images from my G9 better. (I've been shooting a long time. It was metering and focusing issues with the D80. My wife's D40x and D60 consistently produced better exposed images.

At that time I regretted not buying Canon. Told myself it's not the camera, its the images that matter. ;)

Dave

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

Sep 15, 2010 08:42 |  #44
bannedPermanent ban

Let's face facts, no matter what you have there's always something people will whine about. ;)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 15, 2010 08:46 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

MichaelBernard wrote in post #10913038 (external link)
Doesn't factor the relatively retarded price of Nikon glass...

Yea....but even their old stuff can be more expensive than the newer one. By every right I should have a d700..I won't switch because the glass is just overpriced.

I haven't looked into it much, but to me they're not that bad considering the quality (talking about the 2.8 zooms).

But once I decide to buy a lens, I'm usually at peace with the price... So YMMV

sponsored links

27,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
Nikon D7000...everything the 60D should have been but wasn't?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.