Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 14:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Strange Adorama Return Policy

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 15, 2010 14:13 |  #1

I know. I know. Not one of these again. But here me out. When you buy an item in-store in NYC, the return period is 7 days. When you buy online, it's 30 days. Yeah...OK. :lol:

I saw the "new" 30 day return policy advertised on their website so I thought it was for everyone. Last night I went to return a lens I bought a 2.5 weeks ago and the guy at "register #6" told me that it's past the return period in the typical not-so-friendly fashion. So I told him about the 30 day policy that I saw online and he insisted that it didn't apply for me. Of course this just didn't make sense to me despite showing me the receipt that sure enough said 7 days to return an item. I would figure they would want to take care of local NYC customers. We went back and forth. I was polite at first but then wasn't going anywhere with the guy so I told him I was ready to proclaim to never, ever buy anything from there and they finally backed off and gave me a refund. Sheesh.

So to our resident Adorama CS person, Helen, you should look into that b/c I think that's a pretty stupid policy. Again, way to take care of your local NYC customers. Unless I need to buy something that B&H doesn't carry, I'll stick with them. They are the lesser of 2 evils, and if you've ever been to the stores, you'll know what I mean. :lol:;)

sponsored links
egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2010 14:44 |  #2

According to http://www.adorama.com …FAQ#Our%20Retur​n%20Policy (external link), it's 30-days with nothing about it being different for in-store purchases.

Even more curious is right above that section is http://www.adorama.com …og.tpl?op=FAQ#O​ur%20Hours (external link) which lists store hours, so one would expect ALL info on that page applies to online AND store stuff.

Maybe when you bought the item it was 7-days?

What lens were you returning?

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2010 16:38 |  #3

i just read the topic about BH's 14 days return policy. and now this :lol: :D

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 15, 2010 16:48 |  #4

strange indeed but my guess is they dont have it in store because there are so many people that will just "buy" it and return it before the 30 days are up, I guess they figure its more of a pain if its done online so people wont do it

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,802 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 15, 2010 19:04 as a reply to  @ tekkie's post |  #5

maybe 30 days because of shipping wait times.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2010 19:50 |  #6

tekkie wrote in post #10916132 (external link)
strange indeed but my guess is they dont have it in store because there are so many people that will just "buy" it and return it before the 30 days are up, I guess they figure its more of a pain if its done online so people wont do it

i know, but 7 days, seriously? and you're paying tax too

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 15, 2010 22:16 |  #7

Yep. 7 days. Says so on the receipt. Anyways, I got the refund so I don't really care as I usually order the big ticket items online and only go to them for cheaper items like bags, paper, etc. I just thought it was rather strange that's all.

Never a pleasing experience going to either one of these shops. Just a very strange vibe they have and you'll only know what I am talking about if you go there in person.

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 15, 2010 22:21 |  #8

egordon99 wrote in post #10915314 (external link)
According to http://www.adorama.com …FAQ#Our%20Retur​n%20Policy (external link), it's 30-days with nothing about it being different for in-store purchases.

Even more curious is right above that section is http://www.adorama.com …og.tpl?op=FAQ#O​ur%20Hours (external link) which lists store hours, so one would expect ALL info on that page applies to online AND store stuff.

Maybe when you bought the item it was 7-days?

What lens were you returning?

That's what I told the guy, that I saw it on the website and assumed it applied for all purchases. Seems like smiling to customers is against their policy too. Very strange operation they have. Can say the same about B&H too. Very systematic. They make you take a number then the usually not so friendly guy at the counter "helps" you.

A few weeks ago I went there looking for a camera bag. I wanted to see how a 70-200 would fit so I asked him to bring me one from the shelf. The guy flat out told me no. I thought that was an a-hole move. I've done the same at B&H and they helped me out.

Anyways, just confirms why I buy my expensive stuff online.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2010 22:35 |  #9

nicksan wrote in post #10917852 (external link)
Yep. 7 days. Says so on the receipt. Anyways, I got the refund so I don't really care as I usually order the big ticket items online and only go to them for cheaper items like bags, paper, etc. I just thought it was rather strange that's all.

Never a pleasing experience going to either one of these shops. Just a very strange vibe they have and you'll only know what I am talking about if you go there in person.

And then there is my shop staffed with extremely friendly working pros with a laid back environment where you are free to play with gear..... and then they went and made a zero return policy. That's right, no returns, period. :rolleyes:

It's like these stores want you to just shop at Amazon.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

nicksan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 15, 2010 22:55 |  #10

Zero return policy is kinda ridiculous!

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 15, 2010 23:41 |  #11

nicksan wrote in post #10918118 (external link)
Zero return policy is kinda ridiculous!

Not that unusual in B&M stores, or at least no returns without paying a 15% restocking fee.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 16, 2010 03:09 |  #12

nicksan wrote in post #10915118 (external link)
I know. I know. Not one of these again. But here me out. When you buy an item in-store in NYC, the return period is 7 days. When you buy online, it's 30 days. Yeah...OK. :lol:

I saw the "new" 30 day return policy advertised on their website so I thought it was for everyone. Last night I went to return a lens I bought a 2.5 weeks ago and the guy at "register #6" told me that it's past the return period in the typical not-so-friendly fashion. So I told him about the 30 day policy that I saw online and he insisted that it didn't apply for me. Of course this just didn't make sense to me despite showing me the receipt that sure enough said 7 days to return an item. I would figure they would want to take care of local NYC customers. We went back and forth. I was polite at first but then wasn't going anywhere with the guy so I told him I was ready to proclaim to never, ever buy anything from there and they finally backed off and gave me a refund. Sheesh.

So to our resident Adorama CS person, Helen, you should look into that b/c I think that's a pretty stupid policy. Again, way to take care of your local NYC customers. Unless I need to buy something that B&H doesn't carry, I'll stick with them. They are the lesser of 2 evils, and if you've ever been to the stores, you'll know what I mean. :lol:;)

On the one hand it is correct; we introduced a 30-day return policy for online and 'phone purchases, but retained the 7-day return period in-store.

What's the difference? The product is still the product, right?
I guess it's a cup half-full or half-empty scenario; we extended the policy for online customers - we didn't intend it to be seen as penalizing in-store customers - for 2 reasons. We wanted to take account of the fact that there isn't the opportunity to examine the goods before purchase. The other is that through my involvement on the many forums and websites, I'm in contact with photographers whose work takes them travelling, often at short notice, and they weren't getting the opportunity to test equipment before the returns period was up.

We’d love a blanket 30-day return policy, however, you all know as well as I do that we’d be opening ourselves up to becoming an extension of the Adorama rentals department! eg
https://photography-on-the.net …=922995&highlig​ht=Adorama

On the other hand, if an item appears 100% new, and you ask for the store manager, he will make a judgement on whether to extend the time limit on a case-by-case basis.

Does this help?

BTW please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period. Our Holiday Schedule:
Adorama NYC Retail Store: The Adorama Retail Store will be closed during the following days

Yom Kippur (external link): We will close on Friday, September 17, 2010 at 1:00pm and will reopen on Sunday September 19,at 9:30 am
Sukkoth (external link): We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

Adorama phone-sales department
Yom Kippur (external link): Friday, September 17, 9:00am—1:00pm

Thank you for your understanding

NB I'm only an email away for advice and after-sales support with any order from Adorama Camera: HelenO@adorama.com (external link)

andytaro
103 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 02, 2010 23:29 |  #13

Can this 30 day return policy apply to orders placed via Amazon.com? Currently item must be returned within 14 days on Amazon.com.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 03, 2010 00:54 |  #14

andytaro wrote in post #11023344 (external link)
Can this 30 day return policy apply to orders placed via Amazon.com? Currently item must be returned within 14 days on Amazon.com.

I hadn't realised - will check and come back to you.

andytaro
103 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2010 10:59 |  #15

Thank you very much for clarifying the return policy.

sponsored links

2,622 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strange Adorama Return Policy
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.