Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Sep 2010 (Friday) 22:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Lens for zoo?

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 15, 2010 11:11 |  #46

TxDiver wrote in post #10911886 (external link)
I can't understand the attraction of photographing at the zoo. To me, the fact that the animals are already caught, and in a cage, takes away from the luster of it. If they were in the wild, I would be very interested to take pictures, but not at a zoo. I mean, you can go look at a zoo any time, so I don't get any sense of capturing a special moment. I guess that's just me. Do any others share such a view (and I'm not knocking the posters that do like it, just that I can't get excited about it personally).

Why does every picture have to be a "special moment?"

Not that I completely disagree, but your post is really, really elitist. Not everybody can afford to take a month off from work and fly to Africa just because they want to snap a pic of a lion. Besides, I'd rather not see wild places like Africa and Siberia turn into Disneyland for every wannabe wildlife photographer.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links
chopperdave
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 15, 2010 14:06 |  #47

Jumping in the middle of all this, just my 2cents.

I went to the zoo, had my 24-105, 70-200, and 400. Put the 400 on, left it on all day.

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 15, 2010 15:03 |  #48

TxDiver wrote in post #10911886 (external link)
I can't understand the attraction of photographing at the zoo. To me, the fact that the animals are already caught, and in a cage, takes away from the luster of it. If they were in the wild, I would be very interested to take pictures, but not at a zoo. I mean, you can go look at a zoo any time, so I don't get any sense of capturing a special moment. I guess that's just me. Do any others share such a view (and I'm not knocking the posters that do like it, just that I can't get excited about it personally).

I have gone to the zoo and taken pictures but I understand where you are coming from in a sense. For many they may never be able to go out and shoot an animal in the wild that they will see in a zoo. Even better for them are the designs of the zoo settings, no longer are the animals kept in concrete cells with iron bars between them and the viewer. The bigger zoos and many of the smaller ones are into creating natural habitat. I have seen many images taken in zoos that if the photog didn't tell you they were in a zoo you would not know.

However there is nothing like the thrill of the hunt, catching an animal in the wild doing what it does naturally. Many of my friends have taken images of herons, and many have herons in flight but it takes being in the right spot, at the right time to get images like this ....

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4753031081_02a8670778_z.jpg

Even the bad images, OOF, that tell an interesting story when caught in the wild can be good ones. Did you know that herons will eat rodents? Until I saw it with my own eyes I had no clue but here is the shot.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4753672028_190cde1440_z.jpg

joeandpuppies
539 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 15, 2010 20:14 |  #49

I enjoy the zoo because it's fun ... that's all just a personal choice. Admittedly, even if I could afford to spend $25-30K on an African Safari, I'd think of better things to spend my cash on ... like ... new lens to go to the zoo. LOL! JK

Thank You,
joeandpuppies

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 15, 2010 21:38 |  #50

hanjolee wrote in post #10888153 (external link)
70-200mm is just too heavy to carry around...

Yeah, at 1.7 pounds (760 g) the 70-200 f/4 L IS is a bit too heavy for some folks. After all, it weighs almost as much as a bottle of water, and to make matters worse you have to lift it all the way up to eye-level. Makes you feel sorry for all those poor videographers. Their gear often weighs 15-30 pounds.

Daniel

TxDiver
245 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 15, 2010 23:53 |  #51

krb wrote in post #10914015 (external link)
Why does every picture have to be a "special moment?"

Not that I completely disagree, but your post is really, really elitist. Not everybody can afford to take a month off from work and fly to Africa just because they want to snap a pic of a lion. Besides, I'd rather not see wild places like Africa and Siberia turn into Disneyland for every wannabe wildlife photographer.

Ehhh, actually my thought was quite the opposite of elitist. I would be hard pressed to afford to pay for a trip just for a safari, so if I did, then I would want to practice up a bit with wildlife photography before going, since it would be a once in a lifetime thing most likely. Anyway, carry on...

junipa
115 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 16, 2010 01:52 |  #52

My family and I are going to the zoo next month, for the first time in about 30 years. Maybe longer. I hadn't really thought about which lens/es to take, so this thread interests me enormously. At this point, I think I'll take the 17-55, to capture photos of the humans, and the 70-300 for the animals.

Whatever I take, I hope the photos will be better than those taken by my old Olympus Trip 35.

Canon 500D | Tokina 11-16 | Canon 17-55 | Canon 18-200 | Sigma 30 /1.4 | Canon 50 /1.4 | Canon 85 / 1.8 | Canon 70-300 | Speedlight 580EXII

Eagle
Goldmember
4,373 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 16, 2010 20:42 as a reply to  @ junipa's post |  #53

20 years now just about every time a camera has went anywhere with me I've had from the widest I've owned to the longest. Currently that's 10-400, one body, five lenses, and one flash. You just get used to taking it.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 17, 2010 00:43 |  #54

Daniel Browning wrote in post #10917649 (external link)
Yeah, at 1.7 pounds (760 g) the 70-200 f/4 L IS is a bit too heavy for some folks. After all, it weighs almost as much as a bottle of water, and to make matters worse you have to lift it all the way up to eye-level. Makes you feel sorry for all those poor videographers. Their gear often weighs 15-30 pounds.

heck.. i tried handholding my 5DII gripped with my 70-200L f2.8 IS and video the Shamu show at seaworld.. and man.. after 2 mins of it.. that was enough for me. ended up leaning it against a railing to record more.

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:
KATA 3N1 - 25PL Bag, Dolica CF Tripod ZX600B103

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 17, 2010 11:20 |  #55

EOS mE wrote in post #10924865 (external link)
heck.. i tried handholding my 5DII gripped with my 70-200L f2.8 IS and video the Shamu show at seaworld.. and man.. after 2 mins of it.. that was enough for me. ended up leaning it against a railing to record more.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=917000

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 17, 2010 17:28 |  #56

thanks ken.. this will definitely help out.. since i don't hit the gym.. ;)
but this looks like the posture i use when playing paintball before...

5DMKII Gripped | 30D Gripped | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS | 430EX | 580EXIIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=416554
My Reviews:

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 17, 2010 23:02 |  #57

EOS mE wrote in post #10928995 (external link)
thanks ken.. this will definitely help out.. since i don't hit the gym.. ;)
but this looks like the posture i use when playing paintball before...

Check out his video, it's based on the stance he uses for shooting in rifle competitions, which makes sense because in both cases you are trying to accompish the same "steady shooting platform."

-- Ken
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

EOS ­ mE
Goldmember
2,491 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 19, 2010 02:00 |  #58

ok... time to keep this thread moving..
here's some more shots with the 70-200 f2.8L IS... glad i brought it!!

walking a cheetah on leash.. shot from the 2nd level of the tour bus:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

beautiful giraffe before my daughter feeds her:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

panda pooping in action:
IMAGE: http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8002/mg0431.jpg

My Reviews:

sponsored links

10,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Lens for zoo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.