Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 12:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Wedding Photos a bit blurred! Help

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2010 14:07 |  #16

SMonson wrote in post #10921768 (external link)
The photo I posted is the worst out of all of them. The rest has a slight blur not noticeable to most people but to me it is.
So this is what I can tell you..I did use the XTi Camera Body I'm sorry I mis-spoke on my first post!
1. I did let the camera decide on what to focus on.
2. I was using a tripod. At the time the photos were showing up clear as a bell on my little 3" lcd
screen. So my bad I should have upped the Shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/120th.
3. I think your right in saying my DOF was way too narrow to get everyone into focus.

I guess the only way you learn is from your mistakes.

I think your biggest problem is letting the camera decide on what to focus on. That's a no-no. Always choose which AF point you want to use.

sponsored links
tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 16, 2010 14:14 |  #17

SMonson wrote in post #10921768 (external link)
The photo I posted is the worst out of all of them. The rest has a slight blur not noticeable to most people but to me it is.
So this is what I can tell you..I did use the XTi Camera Body I'm sorry I mis-spoke on my first post!
1. I did let the camera decide on what to focus on.
2. I was using a tripod. At the time the photos were showing up clear as a bell on my little 3" lcd
screen. So my bad I should have upped the Shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/120th.
3. I think your right in saying my DOF was way too narrow to get everyone into focus.

I guess the only way you learn is from your mistakes.

???

Your exif:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2010:09:11 13:04:15
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 45.0mm
CCD Width: 10.03mm
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Also if you were using a tripod and they were being still 1/60 would be just fine. With the flashes I bet you could even do 1/30 to 1/15 with them being still as the flash would freeze them (dependent on ambient light). The shutterspeed isn't the issue per say. The misfocus and narrow DOF is the problem.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 16, 2010 14:37 |  #18

Huh. How do you not remember what camera you used? I can tell you everything I have in my gear line-up and what I use for a certain project even years later. It's one of those things you should know because knowing your gear is key to knowing what you are capable of.

And here's some advice: Don't learn mistakes on weddings. They cannot be repeated, if you screw it up it's screwed up forever. Portraits are a great way to get started. If something gets screwed up you can always reshoot it.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 16, 2010 14:39 |  #19

PeaceFire wrote in post #10921970 (external link)
Huh. How do you not remember what camera you used? I can tell you everything I have in my gear line-up and what I use for a certain project even years later. It's one of those things you should know because knowing your gear is key to knowing what you are capable of.

And here's some advice: Don't learn mistakes on weddings. They cannot be repeated, if you screw it up it's screwed up forever. Portraits are a great way to get started. If something gets screwed up you can always reshoot it.

^^ Exactly.

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2010 14:47 |  #20

OP- did you have a filter on your lens? the photo you posted something is not right.. looks like a filter problem. or an AF problem.

David W.

egordon99
Cream of the Crop
10,247 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 16, 2010 16:16 as a reply to  @ post 10921768 |  #21

f/2.8 + not paying attention to the focus point=crummy pictures.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,483 posts
Gallery: 405 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 16, 2010 16:20 |  #22

nicksan wrote in post #10921789 (external link)
I think your biggest problem is letting the camera decide on what to focus on. That's a no-no. Always choose which AF point you want to use.

This times ten. Until you, not the camera, control what is in focus you shouldnt be doing any keepsake photos.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 16, 2010 16:28 |  #23

Wow I feel bad for the couple and family if they paid for services like these. I'm not going to go into a whole rant on it since it's perfectly said a couple posts above. EXIF doesn't lie. Are you sure you weren't using a T1i? This is a great example of a bad example. I hope for the OP's sake that the rest came out decent that way you don't have to show them this. If not then learn on friends around the house not at their wedding.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

css7493
360 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 16, 2010 18:38 as a reply to  @ ni$mo350's post |  #24

looks exactly like my busted 28-135 that needs calibration.

Gear

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 16, 2010 18:47 |  #25

I think its pretty clear to all of us here, its probably not the equipment. I would bet that it was operators error.

Keep learning, but please keep working before you shoot another wedding. Good luck in the future, you just need to know, front and back, your gear.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Gometang
266 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2010 01:11 |  #26

Some serious macro-adjust maybe lol.

Shockey
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 17, 2010 12:57 |  #27

With that lens don't go below F4, or it won't be sharp, and don't need to go higher than that either for portraits.
F4 Works for group shots if you are 70mm if you are at 28mm you may need 5.6 and remember to try to get the people so the group is not to deep and curve the ends in so they are the same distance from the camera as the people in the middle.
Shutter speed of 60 is to slow.

Ditto the you were not ready to shoot a wedding comments, just the truth.

VisualUniverse
455 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 17, 2010 14:45 |  #28

Yeah...f/2.8 DOF is just too narrow for this type of photography. I am about to shoot a wedding and I will be shooting standing groups at around f/11 with a pair of umbrella strobes. Not worried about bokeh effect on the group photos.

Gear List - Canon and Nikon addict
flickr (external link)

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 17, 2010 14:54 |  #29

Shockey wrote in post #10927508 (external link)
With that lens don't go below F4, or it won't be sharp, and don't need to go higher than that either for portraits.
F4 Works for group shots if you are 70mm if you are at 28mm you may need 5.6 and remember to try to get the people so the group is not to deep and curve the ends in so they are the same distance from the camera as the people in the middle.
Shutter speed of 60 is to slow.

Ditto the you were not ready to shoot a wedding comments, just the truth.

I think you have that backwards. The longer the focal length the more closed you need the f-stop. It depends on your distance from the subject though.

so 70mm f5.6, 28mm f4 though that all changes with what you want to blur/not blur, keep in focus, distance, etc.

DOF calculator would be a good study

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2010 16:58 |  #30

As said earlier....it looks like the hand and maybe the front part of the dress are in focus.
The camera has grabbed the closest thing to focus on and as the depth of field was too shallow , everything else is blurred.

I always use centre point focus and recompose. Even at f2.8 if you had focused on the brides eyes
everything else MAY have been in focus . If in doubt stop down.
1/60 shutter should not have caused this. I can handhold this speed quite easily in most situations.

I learnt this very early on when I was photographing my 3rd wedding.....I was in AV mode and not taking enough notice of my shutter speed...needless to say I had a few blurred images before I realized. So I quickly learned from this experience and am now probably paranoid about shutter speed.
But I dont have anymore blurred images.........well 99% of the time.

We have all probably made errors at times, and as you are looking for answers you are on the right track. Good luck.

sponsored links

18,492 views & 2 likes for this thread
First Wedding Photos a bit blurred! Help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.