Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2010 (Friday) 05:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dis-assembly & Re-assembly of 100-400mm L - Help Please

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 17, 2010 13:54 |  #31

MHO wrote in post #10926856 (external link)
Never thought of that! :shock:

Actually for that I can send it to Canon. I know it costs £127.50 for the calibration and general check over :)

It will cost that for whatever is wrong with it, IS unit, focus motor, anything. fixed price repair.Just had one done.

Gear List

sponsored links
crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 17, 2010 14:17 |  #32

malla1962 wrote in post #10927838 (external link)
It will cost that for whatever is wrong with it, IS unit, focus motor, anything. fixed price repair.Just had one done.

That seems way too inexpensive for a flat, fix anything, repair rate.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 17, 2010 14:24 |  #33

crn3371 wrote in post #10927967 (external link)
That seems way too inexpensive for a flat, fix anything, repair rate.

well thats the cost inc vat, return post and 6 month warranty.

Gear List

JerryO
73 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2010 14:25 as a reply to  @ crn3371's post |  #34

TAGGED.... I want to follow along and see the pictures.... if I only had time to photoshop a 100-400l onto a picture of the titanic going down :D

kinghong1970
Goldmember
2,093 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2010 14:52 |  #35

while you have it in pieces, strip the paint and get it powder coated matte black!

:)

Albert the Clumsy Ape
GEAR | FEEDBACK | REVIEW | KING OF GREENE STREET (external link) | FS: Gitzo GT1550T, Photoclam PC30N

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 17, 2010 15:02 |  #36

george m w wrote in post #10927447 (external link)
....considering that there is the likelihood of numerous micro-ball-bearings in there, I'd like to revise my above comment: instead of just photos of this procedure.....we must have a video of it. With sound please.

This is what I am talking about, except by time I noticed, I had way more than 30 that came out, some ended up lost, etc, and they are the size of fish eggs, put them all together and you have micro-caviar.

http://forums.dpreview​.com …age=34572655&ch​angemode=1 (external link)

Here is the pic from this guy's gallery.

http://www.dpreview.co​m …8111/100-400-locking-ring (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 17, 2010 15:11 |  #37

....i'm still waiting to see a photo taken with this lens that demonstrates the presence of dust inside.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 17, 2010 15:33 |  #38

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10928209 (external link)
This is what I am talking about, except by time I noticed, I had way more than 30 that came out, some ended up lost, etc, and they are the size of fish eggs, put them all together and you have micro-caviar.

If you had known they were in there ahead of time, do you think you would have been able to prevent the loss?

Did you have any information from Canon as far as disassembly instructions.

A previous poster mentioned needing a 'clean room' and he is right, opening up a lens in a room in your house could put more dust inside then you can clean out. At the very least I would not try it without an excellent laminar flow hood with some serious filtration. This would insure dust free air flowing over the workspace. They use those hoods in labs and even in some clean rooms.

I just looked at my 100-400, I'd have to have Canon's Service Manual before I even thought of taking it apart.

kmunroe
Cream of the Crop
12,926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2010 15:40 |  #39

and be sure to document the entire procedure.. so you can share your photo and notes with us :)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 17, 2010 15:45 as a reply to  @ kmunroe's post |  #40

After seeing the videos on how some of the L lenses are assembled, I'm pretty sure you're going to need very specialized tools for removing, replacing and reseating the lens elements. If you can even GET those tools, I'm betting the price is enough to make this effort end in tears and regret.

I really hope that's not the case, and that things go well if you go through with this. But it sounds awful risky to me :(

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 17, 2010 15:52 |  #41

harcosparky wrote in post #10928397 (external link)
If you had known they were in there ahead of time, do you think you would have been able to prevent the loss?

Did you have any information from Canon as far as disassembly instructions.

A previous poster mentioned needing a 'clean room' and he is right, opening up a lens in a room in your house could put more dust inside then you can clean out. At the very least I would not try it without an excellent laminar flow hood with some serious filtration. This would insure dust free air flowing over the workspace. They use those hoods in labs and even in some clean rooms.

I just looked at my 100-400, I'd have to have Canon's Service Manual before I even thought of taking it apart.

I was not trying to take the lens apart to get to the elements, the locking rings on the 100-400 get gritty after a while, and it is because these bearings jump track. I removed two rubber plugs in that locking ring, removed the screws, and as soon as you do that the bearings go. Had I known they were there in a semi-loose state, I doubt I would have prevented the loss, some would have escaped. Having the lens in the correct vertical position would have reduced the loss.

It is easy to take apart lenses like the 50mm and the 28-135, 17-55, etc, they are like lego toys. The 100-400L is on a different level in my opinion. Also, it is not a sealed lens and dust gets around inside there with ease, doing this in a normally still room in the house with no air flow would be fine, you pumping that lens back and forth puts more dust past the insides than just taking it apart.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 17, 2010 16:01 |  #42

TeamSpeed wrote in post #10928480 (external link)
I was not trying to take the lens apart to get to the elements, the locking rings on the 100-400 get gritty after a while, and it is because these bearings jump track. I removed two rubber plugs in that locking ring, removed the screws, and as soon as you do that the bearings go. Had I known they were there in a semi-loose state, I doubt I would have prevented the loss, some would have escaped. Having the lens in the correct vertical position would have reduced the loss.

It is easy to take apart lenses like the 50mm and the 28-135, 17-55, etc, they are like lego toys. The 100-400L is on a different level in my opinion. Also, it is not a sealed lens and dust gets around inside there with ease, doing this in a normally still room in the house with no air flow would be fine, you pumping that lens back and forth puts more dust past the insides than just taking it apart.

I'd love to see Canons " shop procedure " for doing the job. I'm used to working on tiny things, even under a microscope if need by. I even have a 'clean room' laminar flow hood to work under. It's not enough to have all the tools and a facility, you need those written procedures.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 17, 2010 16:07 |  #43

harcosparky wrote in post #10928522 (external link)
I'd love to see Canons " shop procedure " for doing the job. I'm used to working on tiny things, even under a microscope if need by. I even have a 'clean room' laminar flow hood to work under. It's not enough to have all the tools and a facility, you need those written procedures.

I agree, even the guy on dpreview had the manual from Canon and still ended up with a bit of frustration it seems. Having the tech manuals would greatly simplify the process, and you would not end up with the typical "I wonder what this does" and "oops, I have this extra piece left" (or in my case, these extra 100 bearings not to mention the others that flew off the tray when I hit the table in frustration and ended up all over the floor). :)

[Note to self, use magnetic trays next time]...

DeaconG
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 17, 2010 16:08 |  #44

This is NOT going to end well...

Gripped 5D Mark II & 50D|70-200 2.8 IS L|24-105 L|17-55|10-22|28 1.8|Σ 150-500|Σ 120-300 EX DG|Σ 50 1.4 EX|Σ APO 2X TC|580EXII|various other bits and pieces
"Reality holds surprises for everyone!" King Solovar, Crisis On Infinite Earths

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 17, 2010 16:12 as a reply to  @ DeaconG's post |  #45

I wish I could watch this myself. :)

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

21,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dis-assembly & Re-assembly of 100-400mm L - Help Please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.