Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Sep 2010 (Friday) 00:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LIMITED TIME ONLY $8000 lesson yours for FREE!!!

MG30D
821 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2010 15:31 as a reply to  @ post 10928300 |  #61

Damn this sucks...sorry for the loss, but glad your ok. :(

First mistake....moved to L.A.

I'm not sure what you can do at this point...but if I were you I'd get insurance in the future (espically if your making money at your photography), and get a gun....then again I don't know what the laws are currently in CA concerning carrying a gun, with all do respect you unfortunately live in (for lack of a better term) a backwards state that seems to believe the average person should not be allowed to carry a gun, but the criminals should be armed. :rolleyes:

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=7819436&post​count=1777

sponsored links
sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 17, 2010 15:57 |  #62

harcosparky wrote in post #10928262 (external link)
Nah, attach Smoke Grenade to the side of the backpack with the pin attached to your belt via a 4 foot long cord. As he runs off the pin gets pulled and there he is running with a trail of smoke following him. You think his buddy will let him in the car with a burning smoke grenade? :lol:

It's called White Phosphorus. Youtube. Enjoy.

-Adam

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

proxes
395 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2010 16:24 |  #63

JBF wrote in post #10928294 (external link)
What a horrible story. I call my Ins Agent as soon as I get home with new equipment. I have about $22,000 worth of Camera gear and all is insured with only a $500 deductible. If I got my stuff stolen or lost in a fire or flood, there is no way I could replace it without Insurance, and I am pretty sure at my age (56) I would not save up again. The prices have increased so much on Canon Lens and cameras it would take almost 1.5 times the money to replace it all. So sorry about your bad luck. The only thing I can say about it is "What goes around comes around". He will get his someday.

Heh if you lost $22,000 worth at once, they'd might not re-insure you again if they have to pay out in full. I asked my agent about that, and he said they'll replace it twice max ($8000 worth), after that I become too much of a risk.

http://ikeyton.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/canontk (external link)

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2010 16:31 |  #64

harcosparky wrote in post #10928262 (external link)
Shooting someone in the back is never good.

Yell out to him " hey you forgot my GOLD WATCH! " As he turns to come back and get the watch, then you shoot him.

did you miss the in Texas part? They have some crazy laws down there. You can LEGALLY shoot someone in the back if they're leaving your property after breaking in. Not sure on a mugging, but it's TX, I'd bet it'd be legal there too. Anyway I was kidding, killing someone isn't worth it unless you LIFE is in danger.

tkadrum wrote in post #10928300 (external link)
My understanding about Renters Insurance, and have a friend who was robbed while walking home at night.

Insurance will be covered if the items were stolen from inside of the car, inside your property. Anything outside, it is not covered.

all depends on your insurance company. I got to claim my watch which broke and then fell overboard while sailing. I had the receipt. The watch company should have warrantied it but wouldn't w/o the watch. Called my renters insurance and they helped me with SOME of the value because it was broken and the company wouldn't "fix" it. The company offered me one at cost to replace it, my insurance agreed to pay that price.

With my personal home owners, the theft policy covers any theft, not just from my car house, but as with everything else, YMMV.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

chomish
Goldmember
1,917 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 17, 2010 18:28 |  #65

Maybe you should have held out on just one lens and got a Desert Eagle! I would assume that if you planned for years you would have known this.

:) 5D-2 Mark ii :) 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 85 1.2 IIL | 70-200 f4 ISL | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 24-70 2.8L |MP-E 65 | 580EX, 430EX, MT24-EX | :p :p :p

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2010 18:52 |  #66

OP said he had a box cutter on his throat, his life was being threaten, therefore he has all the right to defense himself, in this case a single round of hollow point will disable the criminal for good. Before you spend any more money on additional camera gear, spend a few hundred bucks to arm yourself....

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2010 18:56 |  #67

chomish wrote in post #10929210 (external link)
Maybe you should have held out on just one lens and got a Desert Eagle! I would assume that if you planned for years you would have known this.

any 9mm revolver or semi-auto loaded with hollow points will shred the criminal's internal organs into pieces, that's all you need for self defense. :)

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 17, 2010 19:11 |  #68

sk82712 wrote in post #10928506 (external link)
It's called White Phosphorus. Youtube. Enjoy.

-Adam

Ok for the record I have used Smoke, CS Gas, and White Phosphorous Grenades.

WP has nothing in common with a Smoke Grenade, trust me on that.

WP isn't something to fool around with either! :D

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 17, 2010 19:16 |  #69

mjryan67 wrote in post #10924849 (external link)
Who is your renters insurance company ? You need to call them and ask them generally the policies do cover your gear when you take it with you. Case in point I had State Farm renters insurance and I sold a 70-200 2.8L that I sold on ebay. The post office delivered it and i had delivery confirmation, the buyer claimed that they never recieved the lens or that someone stole it off the front porch after the post office delivered it. Since I did not send it signature confirmation Ebay made me refund the money even though I had proof of delivery. So I turned it into my renters policy and State Farm paid the claim. So it depends on the company but it should be covered, it is at least worth a phone call.

Look into what he said, also how old was it? Did you use a VISA? I got some stuff replaced by VISA that was stolen within 12 months of when I bought it.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

ben805
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2010 19:21 |  #70

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #10927638 (external link)
I wouldn't risk that with a box cutter to my throat - would you?

That criminal had no intention to kill, he was after the money and personal property, otherwise he would have jumped out of the bushes, cut his throat first, THEN robbed him afterward, but the crook didn't. In situation like this do you think the criminal would risk getting a few bullet holes in his chest when you pull out a piece? I highly doubt it. :)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 17, 2010 19:30 |  #71

OP, next time reach for your wireless remote and start backing away slowly, be sure to repeat

"i'll do it! i'll do it! i'll blow us all off the face of the earth..i'll do it!" while white-knuckling the remote as if it were some type of detonation device

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 17, 2010 19:40 |  #72

ben805 wrote in post #10929416 (external link)
That criminal had no intention to kill, he was after the money and personal property, otherwise he would have jumped out of the bushes, cut his throat first, THEN robbed him afterward, but the crook didn't. In situation like this do you think the criminal would risk getting a few bullet holes in his chest when you pull out a piece? I highly doubt it. :)

Yes but the point is, the guy attacked him from behind. He already had the blade at his throat before he would have even been able to recognize that he needed his gun. At that point, if you're agile and well-trained enough to grab a gun and point it at the guy, while avoiding being cut, then you probably wouldn't need a gun to get out of that situation.

You would also probably be Chuck Norris.

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 17, 2010 19:44 |  #73

Sorry about your experience.

I have everything on a Personal Articles Floater (AKA Inland Marine) policy with my primary insurance agent (car, home, etc.), Erie. Back long ago, I had the same PAF/IM with Travelers. Most insurance companies handle them. As long as you're not a pro shooter they cover your gear wherever it is. If you're a pro, you need a general business policy which also includes liability coverage.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 17, 2010 20:12 |  #74

And yes, get insurance, I had insurance long before I even had $5k worth of gear

Now you know, though, pricey lesson, but they'll get what's coming to them.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 18, 2010 00:04 |  #75

jwcdds wrote in post #10926839 (external link)
That would probably get him into more than $8000 worth of trouble. He may feel better about capping someone who robbed him. But that would just be the beginning of a very long and costly legal expense.

OP was the victim of a random crime, fortunately it did not turn into a "violent" crime.

Shoot him in the front and there's no trouble. Guy had a box knife to the throat. "Here, let me grab my wallet for you.....BAM!" Not only did you protect your gear, if the jerk lives, he will think twice before hurting someone else and if he dies, other thieves will hear of it and think twice themselves.......

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

sponsored links

17,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
LIMITED TIME ONLY $8000 lesson yours for FREE!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.