Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Mar 2010 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can a 5D MkII handle sports?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,856 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 18:48 |  #76

maverick678 wrote in post #10932507 (external link)
Can a surgery be done without anesthesia ? Sure it can, depends on what kind of surgery. If it cuts the bone deeper you need more of it, unless you have the skills to ignore pain :lol:.

I have not seen many with FPS find the moment as well a HCB did (I know not sports but still its about the timing). You should probably learn to see, not shoot you're way through the moment.:lol::lol:

sponsored links
DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 19:46 |  #77

HCB lived in different era. If you are shooting sports this era you will need some more sophisticated AF or else you'll be out of job.

See how Canon advertised its new 1D Mark IV:

"New AI Servo II AF algorithm"

You can also ask the shooters in NFL if they want to exchange their D3s, 1D IIIs, or 1D IVs with 5Ds :lol:.

As I've said it depends on what kind of sport or surgery :).

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …uctID=349&artic​leTypeID=5 (external link)

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10933832 (external link)
I have not seen many with FPS find the moment as well a HCB did (I know not sports but still its about the timing). You should probably learn to see, not shoot you're way through the moment.:lol::lol:

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 19:52 |  #78

maverick678 wrote in post #10934060 (external link)
HCB lived in different era. If you are shooting sports this era you will need some more sophisticated AF or else you'll be out of job.

See how Canon advertised its new 1D Mark IV:

"New AI Servo II AF algorithm"

You can also ask the shooters in NFL if they want to exchange their D3s, 1D IIIs, or 1D IVs with 5Ds :lol:.

As I've said it depends on what kind of sport or surgery :).

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …uctID=349&artic​leTypeID=5 (external link)

And if you really know of him you would no have his distain for the machine gun approach and he detested motor drives. He didn't need them. We'll see how many of those sports sooters have jobs in 10 years. FPS will soon be video and an editor 1000 miles away will be finding the moment. The new era is almost here.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 19:55 |  #79

As I've said he lived in different era, where all cameras were slowwwwww :).

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10934086 (external link)
And if you really know of him you would no have his distain for the machine gun approach and he detested motor drives. He didn't need them. We'll see how many of those sports sooters have jobs in 10 years. FPS will soon be video and an editor 1000 miles away will be finding the moment. The new era is almost here.

Nikon/Fuji.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 20:11 |  #80

maverick678 wrote in post #10934099 (external link)
As I've said he lived in different era, where all cameras were slowwwwww :).

But his vision and reflexes were fast. And that takes discipline and training. And I have yet to see very many of the images made with all this fast stuff come close to what he saw and captured. ;) Maybe he was the one on to something.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 20:18 |  #81

I have never seen HCB's football shots so I can't compare his shots with the newer generation of NFL shooters.

Has he ever published shots in any sports magazine ?

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10934150 (external link)
But his vision and reflexes were fast. And that takes discipline and training. And I have yet to see very many of the images made with all this fast stuff come close to what he saw and captured. ;) Maybe he was the one on to something.

Nikon/Fuji.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 20:28 |  #82

maverick678 wrote in post #10934178 (external link)
I have never seen HCB's football shots so I can't compare his shots with the newer generation of NFL shooters.

Has he ever published shots in any sports magazine ?

No not any sports magazines but was in Look, Life and hundreds of other magazines and he has a huge exhibit at the Art Institute in Chicago until Oct and from there it moves to San Francisco and it was at the MOMA before Chicago. Lets see if any of those sports guys are so fortunate :lol::lol:

And its really about timing and that transcends everything and we'll see if any of the sports shooters that you hold in such high esteem will be even a foot note in history of photography.

And have you noticed the sidelines lately? I as shooting some things last year some half time stuff for a client and where there were dozens of shooters years ago there were only 4 at this game. And when video finally arrives it will even be less. Dozens of cameras pointed where the action usually happens and maybe one person roving and live video streams going back to one editor maybe a thousand or miles away picking the moment. Its on its way, in fact its almost here.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 20:36 |  #83

Well then it's like comparing apples and oranges...different area. MJ might be the best basketball player of all time but not in baseball.

For street photography ala HCB, 5D will work fine :lol: :lol:.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10934227 (external link)
No not any sports magazines but was in Look, Life and hundreds of other magazines and he has a huge exhibit at the Art Institute in Chicago until Oct and from there it moves to San Francisco and it was at the MOMA before Chicago. Lets see if any of those sports guys are so fortunate :lol::lol:

And its really about timing and that transcends everything and we'll see if any of the sports shooters that you hold in such high esteem will be even a foot note in history of photography.

Nikon/Fuji.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 20:38 |  #84

maverick678 wrote in post #10934260 (external link)
Well then it's like comparing apples and oranges...different area. MJ might be the best basketball player of all time but not in baseball.

Its about learning to see the moment and thats timeless.

And if you learn to do that the 5DII is fine and can shoot sports.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 20:44 |  #85

If you say so I'll respect your opinion but I have mine too :). It's fine for some sports and yes all cameras (even P&S) can shoot sports but they have limitations that's why there are cameras more specialized for sports.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10934266 (external link)
Its about learning to see the moment and thats timeless.

And if you learn to do that the 5DII is fine and can shoot sports.

Nikon/Fuji.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,743 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 18, 2010 21:21 |  #86

SeanH wrote in post #10932372 (external link)
God this topic gets old. Honestly anyone that says the 5D2 can't shoot sports, or thinks it would have a dramatically less "keeper ratio" either has not shot with one, or needs to look at themselves as a photographer. I've shot motocross with about every body since the 10D.....20D, 30D, 40D, Mk2, Mk2n. Mk3, and yes the 5d2. Sure their is maybe 1 or 2 out of 20 that might be a tad sharper, but for you guys that come on here and say it can't be done......you need to look at your skills and not the camera. Also (IMO) the same goes for those that want to base their opinion on the FPS. If you need to "spray & pray" then again you need to improve your skills.

That being said I will say the only hard part for I me was losing the reach of the 1.6 or 1.3.and the slight delay in the shutter release. Those are been the only "issues" I consider to be legit in this conversation. However don't get me wrong, if you're buying a body to shoot mostly sports your choice should not be this body.

To support what I have said here's a quick shoot I did as i was waiting to ride the next moto at the track. Here's a full res / 100% view of the quick test I did. Oh and this was the first time I had used this camera for sports and had only had it for about a week. I did delete a few, mainly my fault, and didn't think it was much different than the keeper ratio for any of the other cameras i have shot with. You be the judge.
http://www.pbase.com …s_test_motocros​s&page=all (external link)

......and I'll just apologize ahead of time for sounding a little aggressive, it's just that I get tired of hearing what I sincerely believe is incorrect..

When you can shoot that good, you can be aggressive.

I owned almost every 1D series from the 1DsIII forward. Yes, they are better at sports in the same hands.

Right now I'm "stuck" with the 5DII. It can make beautiful sports photos, but in talented hands, which mine are NOT, the 1 series will deliver more consistent in focus shots than will a 5 series.

mark

5DII, 200L @ F2

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4697761155_81db197aaf_o.jpg

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2010 22:07 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #87

Just got back from a soccer game. Inspired by this thread I actually tried the 5D II again. I should have listened to myself and not done that.

I only shot ~35 images before I gave up. About 50% if the images are unusable due to AF tracking (or lack there of). With the 7D, it's maybe 1% if even...

Show me a burst of 5 images of a runner/dog/vehicle coming STRAIGHT at you at > 5 mph. I've not seen it happen and I *OWN* the 5D II. I'm not dissing it from a distance. Lateral motion, panning etc, sure, that's easy. The focal plane isn't moving much. Back/front is where the problem is.

Yes, people have shot sports before there were "proper" AF cameras, but that doesn't mean it was any fun! People also drove cars without seatbelts, synchronized gearboxes and power steering.

Anyway, I already made up my mind (AND put my money where my mouth is), but my simple advice would be: If you shoot a sport that requires actual (non lateral) motion, the 5D simply sucks at it. Go get a better body.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 18, 2010 22:43 |  #88

+1.

int2str wrote in post #10934688 (external link)
If you shoot a sport that requires actual (non lateral) motion, the 5D simply sucks at it. Go get a better body.

Nikon/Fuji.

airfrogusmc
36,856 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2010 22:43 as a reply to  @ int2str's post |  #89

Kinda makes you wonder how all those great photographs were made before auto focus.

int2str
Goldmember
1,881 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 18, 2010 22:49 |  #90

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10934815 (external link)
Kinda makes you wonder how all those great photographs were made before auto focus.

You only see the one good shot. You didn't see the 50 they threw away...

sponsored links

15,940 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can a 5D MkII handle sports?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.