Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 04:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash Duration and Sync Speed for Fashion Photography

icarus57
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2010 04:48 |  #1

I own a 5DmkII and know that my max sync speed is 1/250. I read in a fashion photography book that in order to freeze action, you must set your camera to 1/500th. I've also read that most mono light heads max sync speed is 1/250th, so how is it that fashion photographers are able to freeze action with studio lights if you can't even set your camera at 1/500th of a second?

I also read on another forum that if the flash duration of you studio lights exceed 1/1000th of a second, then you are able to freeze action. Please enlighten me, because I am unable to grasp the technical aspects of fashion lighting. I usually set my camera at ISO 100, F/8 or f/11, shutter at 1/125. . .as for action shots I am unable to set it beyond 1/250th>

I appreciate all your help and information. THank you

Elinchrom D-lite 4 Series
Triggered via Pocket Wiz plus II

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2010 05:42 |  #2

icarus57 wrote in post #10941450 (external link)
I own a 5DmkII and know that my max sync speed is 1/250.

The 5DII has a max sync-speed of 1/200.

The 1/500 recommendation is for ambient lighting conditions where the camera's shutter speed is freezing the action. When you go with strobes, your camera should be setup manually to create a dark image (@ 4-stops above ambient) when the strobes are not on. That way when the strobe fires to light the scene, that very quick flash duration is what is freezing the action.

Think of sitting in a dark room -- you can't see squat, then fire your strobe. You see just a flash of light. That is what your camera will capture.

Dave Hoffmann

icarus57
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2010 05:51 |  #3

Gatorboy wrote in post #10941554 (external link)
The 5DII has a max sync-speed of 1/200.

The 1/500 recommendation is for ambient lighting conditions where the camera's shutter speed is freezing the action. When you go with strobes, your camera should be setup manually to create a dark image (@ 4-stops above ambient), so that when the strobe fires, that very quick flash duration is what is freezing the action.

Thank you very much for the info, so what is an ideal camera setting when dealing with strobes. I was taught that you should be using these settings, ISO 100, f/8 -f/11 and a shutter speed of 1/125.

I appreciate your feedback

dave_p
675 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 20, 2010 07:46 |  #4

When dealing with strobes anything below your sync speed is fine. On the 5Dc, to guarantee sync you need to shoot at 1/160th, so that's the fastest I'd probably shoot on a 5DII as well. Keep your ISO as low as you can, and adjust flash power and aperture based on artistic desires. You won't always be able to shoot at f8 or f11...it just depends on how much power your flash has, modifiers in use, and proximity to your subject.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,743 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2010 08:30 |  #5

Like Dave mentioned above, ss doesn't matter much. Just take a shot at say 1/60sec and another at 1/160 and there won't be any difference in exposure or the blur from subject movement. Now all this assumes you got very low ambient levels in your studio at your shooting apertures. Do a test shot without strobe and it should be black.

Regarding 1/125, I think it is probably old timers used to older cameras/strobes which only could do 1/125 sync speed.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

fraiseap
131 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2010 08:39 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #6

I routinely shoot at 1/100 for studio work. The flash only lasts 1/1000 sec (or thereabouts). The studio is pretty dark apart from modelling lights (which go off just before the strobe fires) so I get no motion blur.

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​com (external link)

Retouch ­ UK
224 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 20, 2010 08:40 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #7

As long as you have no ambient light interfering all your camera should see is the flash. The duration of the flash light is equivalent to what you use your shutter speed for when working with ambient light.

The sync speed is the maximum speed that the shutter blades can move accross the sensor whilst still allowing the image to be exposed correctly.

Heres a video that may explain it a little better

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=MPbxp6IdkyM (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,622 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 20, 2010 08:56 |  #8

Some studio folks use Medium Format cameras with leaf shutters which sync at anywhere from 1/100 to 1/1600. That beings said, you don't need 1/500th to freeze action. Like someone mentioned above, kill any ambient light and the flash at 1/160th should be fine.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,589 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 20, 2010 09:50 |  #9

Although flash is instantaneous I set my shutter to 1/160 when I shoot handheld. Just a crutch but it works for me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2010 10:49 |  #10

The 5D(II) sync is 1/200. Because of radio triggering delays, you must go down to 1/125 for an absolutely "clean" frame. There is still some gradation at 1/160, just not too intrusive. If you have a D-lite 4 it, you can get a Skyport SPEED transmitter and use the 5D at 1/200 with minimal gradation (in Speed mode).

If the ambient exposure is at least 3 stops darker than the flash exposure, then flash duration determines your action-freezing ability. Monoblocs are fastest at full power and slowest at minimum power.

icarus57
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 03:46 |  #11

Thank you everyone for you input, I really appreciate you folks taking the time to help me out.

sponsored links

2,614 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash Duration and Sync Speed for Fashion Photography
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.