Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mark IV 1D: Is it Worth Buying?

icarus57
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2010 05:12 |  #1

I am curious as to why, the Mark IV 1d has been receiving lots of mix reviews since it's arrival. I wanted to purchase a 2nd body and have been looking at the MK IV 1D for a while. After reading a few reviews on Canon USA and B&H photos, I was discouraged to purchase it. I read that besides it's 1.3x crop, it has focusing and low-light issues, most consumers or pros that were pro Canon have switched to Nikon and are now using the D3S or D3X.

For those that have been using it for the past months, is it worth purchasing the body? I plan to use it mainly for weddings and studio photography.

Thank you for your time

sponsored links
jonchicoine
168 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 20, 2010 06:01 |  #2

icarus57 wrote in post #10941492 (external link)
... most consumers or pros that were pro Canon have switched to Nikon and are now using the D3S or D3X.

wow... i had no idea there were so few of us canon shooters left... I guess i'm one of the last hold outs, huh ;)

icarus57
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2010 06:42 |  #3

jonchicoine wrote in post #10941599 (external link)
wow... i had no idea there were so few of us canon shooters left... I guess i'm one of the last hold outs, huh ;)

So i'm taking it as you've been using the product and you are recommending it to me? I just wanted an unbiased recommendation, since I have never used the product. Thought your incite would help me decide if upgrading to the 1D is worth it. I mean photograph with a 5dmkII, I'm on your side man lol. Don't shoot the messenger

James ­ Wheeler
194 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2010 07:08 |  #4

I love mine, I haven't had any focussing issues.

You will always get people out there with bad copies of every camera as no manufacturing process is perfect. People only usually complain publicly and you will probably find there is a silent majority of happy users out there.

My Flickr Page (external link)

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2010 07:09 as a reply to  @ icarus57's post |  #5

Geez... I would be one of the last ones as well..... :confused:

Of course there are some Canon users switching to Nikon as well as there are Nikon users switching to Canon...

I find the 1DMkIV to be an exceptional piece of equipment. It suites my type of shooting and I'm very happy with it. No problem with low light AF.

If you are in doubt whether the AF low light performance in YOUR situation would be an issue, rent the equipment and make an evaluation for yourself. Then make YOUR decision.

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2010 08:08 as a reply to  @ Candersson's post |  #6

I do not have a 1DMIV, since I have no need for it. But, as stated above, I rent body/lens/etc before I purchase, to determine if it meets my needs. Other than Bronica, I have never used anything other than Canon. Even though Paul Simon recommends a Nikon w/ Kodachrome film, I have no reason to purchase a Nikon. I am happy (?) w/ my Canon equipment.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2010 08:13 as a reply to  @ NASS Photo's post |  #7

I'm not an owner of the Canon mkIV .... but I have read reviews that I felt like were wrote by Nikon trolls on the "Reviews" posted on B&H, Adorama, etc, etc...

What a waste of time on their part. You can see right through them as you read it.:rolleyes:

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

windpig
Chopped liver
14,919 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2010 08:23 |  #8

Mark II wrote in post #10942006 (external link)
I'm not an owner of the Canon mkIV .... but I have read reviews that I felt like were wrote by Nikon trolls on the "Reviews" posted on B&H, Adorama, etc, etc...

What a waste of time on their part. You can see right through them as you read it.:rolleyes:

Meant to create FUD.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,683 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 20, 2010 08:39 |  #9

I don't own a 1D Mk IV (yet), as it is really out of my budget considering the use it would get (occasional sports photography), so I got a used 1D Mk III instead.

However, a pro photographer I know, always has 2 1D bodies with him on shoots, one main body and one backup, and the way he works he uses one for a year, which then becomes the backup body, and the old backup body gets sold on. He buys a new 1D body simultaneously, whichever is current at the time, and this replaces the old main body. IOW, a two year switch and replacement plan. He has been doing this for many years now, but this year he broke from this pattern.

Why?

He got his first 1D Mk IV, and a little over 3 months later replaced his remaining 1D mk III with a 1D Mk IV as well, basically because he was dumb-struck by the IQ increase. Noise levels are definitely a lot lower, especially at higher isos, and for his work he just loves the increase in IQ ay higher isos. He also thinks AF is a lot better, but for him 1D III AF was good enough already.

If you read Clarkvision, you will find that the 1D Mk IV is actually a trend breaking camera with regard to the sensor. It has the lowest noise of them all, wel outside the established pixel size progession envelope.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2010 09:15 |  #10

I am curious as to why, the Mark IV 1d has been receiving lots of mix reviews since it's arrival. I wanted to purchase a 2nd body and have been looking at the MK IV 1D for a while. After reading a few reviews on Canon USA and B&H photos, I was discouraged to purchase it. I read that besides it's 1.3x crop, it has focusing and low-light issues, most consumers or pros that were pro Canon have switched to Nikon and are now using the D3S or D3X.

For those that have been using it for the past months, is it worth purchasing the body? I plan to use it mainly for weddings and studio photography.

Thank you for your time

I had a quick look on the B&H reviews and I found 2 out of 62 that was not a 5 or 4 star... ???
Again, do the home work and decide which model suites you the best

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

TexRex
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2010 09:16 |  #11

I have owned a 1DMKIV. It is an exceptional camera. High ISO performance is amazing. Build quality is what you would expect. AF is as accurate as my 1DSMKIII. I do not use HD. I sold it to get a 1DSMKIII as I wanted the FF and did not need high ISO performance as I do a lot of flash photography. It's a great camera but I had a lot of L glass that could only be truly appreciated on a FF IMO.

Canon stuff....

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2010 09:54 |  #12

Thank you for your time

When I first got the camera, I was testing outside at night in a park with night lights. The night lights were a warm color type of light. I was taking pics of my friend testing it out with the 85 1.2Lii and it was hunting. So I was suprised and I tested it out again with the 24-70L and same thing. So my first opinion was that I was very dissappointed.

I then updated the firmware to 1.0.8 and then it was a lot better. I am not sure if Canon changed anything in the low light AF because they don't mention it. Just a while ago, I went into the baby's nursery and closed the blinds. I tested both 5d2 and 1d mark 4 with the 24-70L with all types of situations and settings. The 1d mark 4 is fine in low light but I did notice that sometimes (not all the time) with 45 point AF enabled, it had difficulty with white objects. The 5d2 did not. When I switched to 19 point AF, it was fine.

Maybe others can chime in and I read members who do wedding photography had problems with the low light AF with this body.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 20, 2010 10:17 |  #13

I think you need to read some more serious reviews before making your mind up.
Even better, rent one for a weekend and try for yourself.
It's a great camera.

Whether you want a high speed 1.3x camera, mainly geared towards sports, for wedding and studio work is another issue, maybe you would be better off going full frame?

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 20, 2010 11:42 |  #14

For weddings and studio, you're better off with the 5Dmk2.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 20, 2010 11:52 |  #15

Thank you for your time

I has under the impression it has superior low light af capabilities compared to the Nikons.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links

5,746 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mark IV 1D: Is it Worth Buying?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.