Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:18 |  #46

Come on, guys. Let's be realistic here with our selling-like-hotcakes prices. $500? Good luck with that. Plastic P&S cameras go for $500. m4/3 cameras with cheaper builds and kit zoom go for $500. You're not going to get the X100 for $500--not for a few years anyway after depreciation.

Besides, from their press release and marketing video I get the feeling that their target is not to sell this like hotcakes. That is, I'm sure they'd love it to, but they're targeting the product and price to a slightly more upscale market that appreciates the various touches of extra quality they put in and are willing to pay a bit more for them. For those who don't and won't, they're happy to leave those customers to m4/3, NEX, NX, etc. I'd love as much as anybody (or more since I love the 35mm focal length) to see this at anywhere under $1000, but my gut feeling says low-to-mid $1K.

Aside from the intangibles, here are a few of the tangibles that point to this not being a $500 camera:
- APS-C sensor
- f/2 lens
- Metal top, baseplate, and dials--very solid build quality
- Built-in hybrid OVF/EVF--a world first

Edit: oops, didn't see your post, Taylor. Do you have a link for the price?

sponsored links
Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:21 |  #47

tkbslc wrote in post #10942860 (external link)
NOw that price has all but been confirmed at $1700, I see no reason to get this over a Leica X1 for brand name bragging right, or a GF1+20mm f1.7+viewfinder accessory for half the price.

Let's say for the sake of argument that it is $1700 (waiting for confirmation on that). The Leica is $2000, has an f/2.8 lens instead of f/2, and doesn't have a viewfinder, let alone a hybrid OVF/EVF. I think you've got it backwards--the only reason to get the Leica over this is for brand name bragging rights.

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 20, 2010 11:22 |  #48

tkbslc wrote in post #10942860 (external link)
NOw that price has all but been confirmed at $1700, I see no reason to get this over a Leica X1 for brand name bragging right, or a GF1+20mm f1.7+viewfinder accessory for half the price.

yea thats a bit pricey.. you could buy a used m8 for that.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2010 11:24 |  #49

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #10942910 (external link)
Let's say for the sake of argument that it is $1700 (waiting for confirmation on that). The Leica is $2000, has an f/2.8 lens instead of f/2, and doesn't have a viewfinder, let alone a hybrid OVF/EVF. I think you've got it backwards--the only reason to get the Leica over this is for brand name bragging rights.

I was saying the only reason to spend anywhere near this amount for a basic APS-C camera is for bragging rights. This fujifilm will get you very little of that.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:28 |  #50

tkbslc wrote in post #10942924 (external link)
I was saying the only reason to spend anywhere near this amount for a basic APS-C camera is for bragging rights. This fujifilm will get you very little of that.

Not badgering you, but in case you didn't notice, I asked for a link to the price. Link please?

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:29 |  #51

If it's going up to that price, I'll probably sit this one out and keep collecting my pennies for an M.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2010 11:30 |  #52

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #10942890 (external link)
Come on, guys. Let's be realistic here with our selling-like-hotcakes prices. $500? Good luck with that. Plastic P&S cameras go for $500. m4/3 cameras with cheaper builds and kit zoom go for $500. You're not going to get the X100 for $500--not for a few years anyway after depreciation.

Aside from the intangibles, here are a few of the tangibles that point to this not being a $500 camera:
- APS-C sensor
- f/2 lens

Regardless of the tech, there are plenty of large sensored compact with interchangeable lens mounts and fast pancake prime options in the $500-1000 range. Sure this has some fancy metal in there, but it is still a basic APS-C camera on spec and Fujifilm is not a luxury brand.

Edit: oops, didn't see your post, Taylor. Do you have a link for the price?

Not a direct one. Several people on Dpreview are throwing that price around based on the Japanese price found in some Japanese article I can't read.

EDIT: The article is on Nikkei.com and you have to have an account to read it. They apparently list the price at 150K Yen, which converts to $1750 US. Of course prices aren't directly translatable between markets, but it should be ballpark.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:45 |  #53

tkbslc wrote in post #10942967 (external link)
Not a direct one. Several people on Dpreview are throwing that price around based on the Japanese price found in some Japanese article I can't read.

Then we're putting the cart ahead of the horse, arguing over a price that isn't even confirmed. I found a link (external link) that I think says 120K - 150K Yen, but also estimated not confirmed ("It is said"). Just like with European prices, don't convert based on currency values because U.S. prices are usually cheaper than Japanese prices based on actual currency value. If that estimate is correct, that probably puts it at $1200-$1500 U.S., which is a large range because $1200 sounds pretty good while $1500 sounds a bit high to me.

I propose we quit worrying about the price until FujiFilm tell us what it will be and just marvel at the beauty of this camera :)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 20, 2010 12:07 |  #54

I'd be a buyer at $1000...~1/2 price of the over-hyped Leica...

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 20, 2010 12:36 as a reply to  @ AngryCorgi's post |  #55

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #10942890 (external link)

I'm saying strip it so it COULD be a $500 camera in the s90 class that has the manual controls and smaller sensor. THAT could sell like hotcakes. This at $1000 would still sell pretty well IMHO...

- APS-C sensor
- f/2 lens

not a lot different than sony's $650 NEX5 with their 16mm pancake. 2.8 -vs- 2.0 and the viewfinder, but otherwise similar.

tkbslc wrote in post #10942924 (external link)

this won't get bragging rights on the name, but it will on looks...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

Vroom_fondel
196 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 20, 2010 12:45 |  #56

AngryCorgi wrote in post #10943180 (external link)
I'd be a buyer at $1000...~1/2 price of the over-hyped Leica...

Yeah, I say that to myself now as well. But knowing me, I am sucker after all (and this camera is love at first sight for me) I'll probably be paying whatever they ask for.

*shakeshead*

I'll never grow up... :rolleyes:

That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn’t good enough for me, I demand euphoria!
New and improvedGear List and loads of doggie pics (external link)

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 20, 2010 12:45 |  #57

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10943337 (external link)
not a lot different than sony's $650 NEX5 with their 16mm pancake. 2.8 -vs- 2.0 and the viewfinder, but otherwise similar.

Well, an f/2 lens is about twice as expensive as an f/2.8, and remember the VF won't be cheap. I think the X100 would still be pushing $1000 with a cheaper build.

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2010 13:38 as a reply to  @ toxic's post |  #58

I'd be surprised if this came up under $1K. A plastic Canon T2i w/ zoom kit is about $700-800 new, and that's with Canon's industrial muscle. A niche range finder with fixed lens, $1-1400 would make sense. Of course, I ain't complaining if it's under...

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 13:53 |  #59

toxic wrote in post #10943388 (external link)
Well, an f/2 lens is about twice as expensive as an f/2.8, and remember the VF won't be cheap. I think the X100 would still be pushing $1000 with a cheaper build.

Plus that Sony 16mm f/2.8, let's not mince words here, is trash. I'd certainly hope they engineer the lens in the X100 to a much higher standard since you're stuck with it.

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 20, 2010 14:29 |  #60

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #10943787 (external link)
Plus that Sony 16mm f/2.8, let's not mince words here, is trash. I'd certainly hope they engineer the lens in the X100 to a much higher standard since you're stuck with it.

right, but the sony is trash but COULD have been fantastic w/o costing more IMHO. Look at canon's 35mm f/2 in terms of price and IQ. Sony's got the build but ****ed something up in the design when they pancaked it. It's also not terrible in the "final" version supposedly?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links

168,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.