Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 19:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fuji FinePix X100

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2010 14:42 |  #61

My Oly might be a year old already but I feel like I got a good price compared to this plus I can use lens adapters.

sponsored links
Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2010 14:51 as a reply to  @ VinnieJ's post |  #62

See, if they are smart, they will keep the price low and introduce another model with a 12mm f2.8 lens, another with a 35mm f2 lens, and a 50mm f2 lens. That way you end up buying two cameras instead of one camera and another lens. I'd go with a 12mm and a 35mm combo personally.

I can also see black magnesium color as well for those who want to be more stealthy. I'm already visioning leather cases for it like they have for Leicas.
Hmmm, I can dream can't I?

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 15:16 |  #63

Tee Why wrote in post #10944118 (external link)
I'm already visioning leather cases for it like they have for Leicas.
Hmmm, I can dream can't I?

I'm sure Uncle Luigi (external link) will be whipping up some nice cases for the rangefinder-philes who get their hands on this.

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 20, 2010 15:24 as a reply to  @ Yohan Pamudji's post |  #64

Yikes, those leather covers cost more than some cameras. I guess Leica cases come with Leica prices. Maybe I'll just keep it bear instead and save the dough for the camera.
:)

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2010 16:07 |  #65

Tee Why wrote in post #10944298 (external link)
Yikes, those leather covers cost more than some cameras. I guess Leica cases come with Leica prices. Maybe I'll just keep it bear instead and save the dough for the camera.
:)

I drop my cameras to scratch them up on purpose--gives them character.

No, not really, but if the alternative is to pay $270 for a leather case (no matter how beautifully hand-crafted by an artisan in Italy from the best quality cow hide) then I'd rather risk the knocks.

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 20, 2010 21:18 |  #66

Man, I love love love this...a manual aperture ring! How freaking cool is that? It's a shame about the price.

By the way, I've noticed a lot of you guys calling this a rangefinder. It's NOT a rangefinder...it's a standard contrast AF camera. I'd much rather pay $1500 for this than a rangefinder...

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 21, 2010 07:24 |  #67

jacobsen1 wrote in post #10943973 (external link)
right, but the sony is trash but COULD have been fantastic w/o costing more IMHO. Look at canon's 35mm f/2 in terms of price and IQ. Sony's got the build but ****ed something up in the design when they pancaked it. It's also not terrible in the "final" version supposedly?

I had such high hopes for the NEX cameras...then the price was shown and I got REALLY high hopes...then I tried one in person and was blown away by the user interface...and in this case "blown away" is NOT a good thing. So many people decry entry-level DSLRs because you have to dig in software to do what should be done with a dedicated switch/button. Sony then takes those complaints and proves that all those entry-level DSLRs are not so bad after all, by making the world's first completely useless camera, removing nearly every button and trying to use a few programmable (NOT programmable by the user, mind you) buttons to achieve what most cameras need several dials and a dozen buttons/switches to accomplish.

Yeah, I was bummed about the NEX series, but I never got to the point of even caring what the IQ was like. Once I saw the egg that the ergonomics-engineers had laid, the honeymoon plans ended!

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

tiger ­ roach
340 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 21, 2010 07:32 |  #68

Wow, definitely keeping my eye on this one as a possible 2nd camera...

cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 21, 2010 07:40 |  #69

AngryCorgi wrote in post #10948306 (external link)
I had such high hopes for the NEX cameras...then the price was shown and I got REALLY high hopes...then I tried one in person and was blown away by the user interface...and in this case "blown away" is NOT a good thing. So many people decry entry-level DSLRs because you have to dig in software to do what should be done with a dedicated switch/button. Sony then takes those complaints and proves that all those entry-level DSLRs are not so bad after all, by making the world's first completely useless camera, removing nearly every button and trying to use a few programmable (NOT programmable by the user, mind you) buttons to achieve what most cameras need several dials and a dozen buttons/switches to accomplish.

Yeah, I was bummed about the NEX series, but I never got to the point of even caring what the IQ was like. Once I saw the egg that the ergonomics-engineers had laid, the honeymoon plans ended!

I forgot where i saw the news, but sony might made a firmware update soon to address the ugly user interface, and it will most probably in photokina. I think it's from dpreview or the rumors site.

5d2 and glasses
deviantart (external link)

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Sep 21, 2010 07:42 |  #70

cogliostro wrote in post #10948373 (external link)
I forgot where i saw the news, but sony might made a firmware update soon to address the ugly user interface, and it will most probably in photokina. I think it's from dpreview or the rumors site.

We'll see...it's going to take more than a couple of band-aids to stop the bleeding on this one!

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 21, 2010 07:51 |  #71

AngryCorgi wrote in post #10948391 (external link)
We'll see...it's going to take more than a couple of band-aids to stop the bleeding on this one!

Yeah, at first i thought the nex was fugly.. But when i see and hold it at the local sony center, the build and the metal lens is very nice, and the build quality is good. After reading the dumb pasm mode i was turned off though. The other thing is the lack of 35 or 50 mm prime, but sony has released the nex lenses mock in photokina so hopefully one of those are normal fast prime

5d2 and glasses

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 21, 2010 08:05 as a reply to  @ cogliostro's post |  #72

Engadget reports $1000 price. WIN:

http://www.engadget.co​m …11-for-1-000-we-go-hands/ (external link)

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2010 08:08 as a reply to  @ cogliostro's post |  #73

edit: ingraman beat me to it. WIN INDEED.

Quote from the article itself:

Fujifilm's Adrian Clarke noted that the decision to include only a 23mm f/2...

...Furthermore, he affirmed that the company was aiming for a March 2011 ship date, with a retail price to hit near the $1,000 mark. That's hardly affordable, but Fuji's making no bones about this being a decidedly high-end piece.

This was the MSRP price I was hoping for!

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

cogliostro
239 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 21, 2010 08:15 |  #74

if the street price is around $800 i might grab one. but the msrp is very good though

5d2 and glasses

VinnieJ
642 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 21, 2010 08:34 |  #75

At that price point this product should be a big win for them.

sponsored links

168,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fuji FinePix X100
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.