Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone else get sick of gear and just want to downsize?

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 21, 2010 05:44 |  #16

that's why I dumped my 1Ds bodies and moved to 5D series. that's why I sold my 85 and 135 and got a zeiss 100. that's why I sold my 70-200 4IS and 300 4IS for a 70-200II 2.8 with extender.

that's why I put up with the 16-35II and often leave my primes behind.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, 16, 56; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2010 06:15 |  #17

I've found myself in sort of an interesting situation. I had to let go of all my gear 7 months ago, and in the last month have decided on getting back into shooting again (I've missed it sorely). I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 5DII/7D combo, with 24-70L and a 70-200 2.8IS.

I call it 'interesting' because it's not often I find myself in a situation where I you essentially start from scratch, with already a few years of experience in developing your shooting style and knowing what you want/need. It's all the fun of having new toys without having to go through the whole "Hey guys whats the perfect lens for [x situation]?" or "Hey guys this is my kit, do I need to upgrade?"

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

mdaniel
370 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 21, 2010 08:28 |  #18

If I were starting over I'd buy a 5DII with a 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 along with a 50mm and call it a day.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=8681946&post​count=1961Gear

SchnellerGT
585 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 21, 2010 08:30 |  #19

I know exactly what you mean. There comes a point when it is no longer worth the headache!

That's why I refuse to get a camera body no larger than the 5DII/7D, etc. I also stick 3-4 lenses, max.

In other words, if I can't fit it in here, it doesn't go...

(The Lowepro Fastpack 250 is perfect for my needs and even carries my laptop.)

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/multiple_images/item_images/IMG_134849.jpg

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 2.8L II [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][​FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][F​ONT=Tahoma]| Canon 40mm Pancake | Canon EF 85 1.8 USM | Canon EF 135 F2L USM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX
Buyer Feedback for "SchnellerGT" (Fredmiranda) (external link)

ingraman
169 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 21, 2010 09:12 as a reply to  @ mcluckie's post |  #20

I'm sick of switching lenses for sure. In the future, I'm thinking a telephoto permanently on the slr for wildlife and a compact APS-C camera with a standard/wide (like the Fuji X100) for every day/travel use. Would make life a lot easier.

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 21, 2010 10:18 |  #21

Yeah this is a great subject, I've talked to several photographers in the last couple of weeks who've been in the industry over twenty years who have said they are done buying gear and are downsizing.

With digital finally at a point where you can do pretty much whatever you want to achieve and this includes Photoshop as part of your kit, in my own circumstanses I am feeling more comfortable with the less is more attitude.

I'm trying to figure my camera kit to 3-4 lenses having sold the bulk of them in the last year. Currently down to the 24-70L and 85L 1.2 w/MKIII body and after a week of not having a long lens I realized maybe I don't even ned one for what I love to do and what I am getting for my part time career now being retired.

I'm also setting myself up with only 3 strobes and some pretty excellent modifiers, 74" Octabank, Deep Octa, 22" Mola BD and a 7" reflector w/grids are providing me with enough variability to really enjoy my lighting with still life and portraits.

Others I know are also condensing their kits, I guess it depends upon what market you work in. I sat down with a long time glamour photographer last week who told me after all he's done, much of his lighting is done now with one monolight and muslin- and that reminded me of my decades of shooting commercials when I would carry the same piece of favorite muslin in my travel bag as my common lighting tool that I could count on. Even with huge ligbting trucks filled with everything up through and including Brute Arc's, I would still be using this simple muslin in front of any and all types of light if I felt like it- it's more about what I love to work with and less time messing with tons of gear can help give up more time for the shooting. Yes to get what the client needs it often means a whole atufio full of gear but I'mmjust looking at minimalism as an option.

One photographer recently told me "I'm just tired of buying gear".

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 21, 2010 10:26 |  #22

Jannie wrote in post #10949109 (external link)
One photographer recently told me "I'm just tired of buying gear".

I don't think I'll ever tire of buying gear, it's the carrying around of gear that gets me. :)

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

tiger ­ roach
340 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 21, 2010 10:31 |  #23

I tried downsizing to just a P&S at one point. It didn't work out. :lol:

OTOH I do try to take just what I will need for a given trip or shooting expedition, I never take every lens.

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 21, 2010 10:38 |  #24

Ive downsized my gear now. and still I sometimes want to carry that extra 3rd body when I need to shoot.

Its a slippery slope we're all in, I think it's just better so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 21, 2010 10:42 |  #25

Well, I don't regret having two bodies (5D Classic and a 1D3) and a good number of lenses, simply because my intersests in subject matter have tended to be pretty diverse. But, when I'm out and about I'll often "minimalize", just carrying one of my bodies and maybe just one of my lenses (depending on what "out and about means:)). Which body I carry depends also -- the 1D3 is great because it is an all-purpose high-performance "workhorse", but I do enjoy the lighter compact 5D with, say, the 24-105 as a walk-around kit. So, often I'll be wandering around with a simpe kit, but on those occasions my car will typically be carrying a bunch of stuff "just in case".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 21, 2010 10:50 |  #26

I should add that I am not a victim of the "upgrade fever" compulsion:)! I've had most of my gear for three years or so and am quite happy with it! That's not to say that I don't love, say, the new 100mm Macro lens or the new 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens, or that I wouldn't love to have either the new or the old 500mm f/4 lens, or the 5D2 or the 1D4 (or the soon to come 1Ds4), but that between financial considerations and the fact that I really like the gear I have, I just don't seriously consider upgrading.

It's also kind of funny that right now I have four DSLR bodies sitting around my place! My daughter is staying with me with the 400D I gave her 2-3 years ago, and the old 30D that I loaned my son when I moved to the 5D and then the 1D3 is now back here taking up "space":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,748 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 21, 2010 11:05 |  #27

I too have been downsizing a bit. I finally sold my 24-105 and 28 1.8. I am even thinking of selling my 17-40, 50 and 85 as well. I find I can do all I need with just the 24-70 and 100L.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Fuji X100F • Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 21, 2010 11:14 |  #28

picturecrazy wrote in post #10946960 (external link)
...The closest thing in my kit which I consider the closest to being "best for everything" is my 40D, which is the cheapest body I have....

Have you considered the 7d Lloyd?

Gear List

Michael

themadman
Cream of the Crop
18,871 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 21, 2010 11:17 |  #29

For me, it depends on what I am doing. Sometimes I remove battery grips and grab for lighter lenses.

On the other hand, sometimes there is no substitute for large heavy gear.

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​com (external link) | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

ecub
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 21, 2010 11:18 |  #30

apersson850 wrote in post #10947281 (external link)
I just want MORE! :D

hahahaha. Me too.

- Ed
Official Gear List
5D II | 7D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L | 50mm f/1.2L USM | 85mm f/1.2L II | 100mm f/2.8L IS macro

sponsored links

23,944 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone else get sick of gear and just want to downsize?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.