Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 17 Sep 2010 (Friday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 15 minutes

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 20, 2010 05:21 |  #16

I use 4's and 8's, all numbered. Yeah, it is highly unlikely a card will fail, or i'll lose one, but why take a chance chance? I'd rather swap cards a few times during the day than hsve to try and explain where all the images on a 32gb card are IF it should fail or get lost.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

sponsored links
Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,134 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2010 05:57 |  #17

first 2 weddings i shot i had pre computer jitters, but not anymore

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2010 11:06 |  #18

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #10936623 (external link)
Where do you put your cards when they are full?

in a wallet sized memory card case. it's the only thing i carry with me other than camera. Face up cards are empty and ready to use, face down i know they are already used.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 20, 2010 11:19 |  #19

sctbiggs wrote in post #10942832 (external link)
in a wallet sized memory card case. it's the only thing i carry with me other than camera. Face up cards are empty and ready to use, face down i know they are already used.

What happens if you loose that wallet? Sounds like placing all of your eggs in one basket...

Congrats on the new baby by the way!

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sctbiggs
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2010 11:35 |  #20

That's why I have four. lol... so i'll lose 4 out of 16.

and thanks.

Baby Girl 2.0 has arrived!
Facebook (external link) | Wilmington, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographers (external link) - The seriously outdated website.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,134 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Sep 20, 2010 21:33 |  #21

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #10942898 (external link)
What happens if you loose that wallet? Sounds like placing all of your eggs in one basket...

wallet is attached to me, no chance of losing it

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 20, 2010 21:43 |  #22

I remain nervous until I have them home and backed up on our server as well as on the main computer. I really want to get a couple of external hard drives so I can have triplicate backups (worked in graphic design for years, I have seen everything fail) but there are a few other expenses that trump that need right now (like fixing the 5d that failed *sigh*)

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

enginyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 20, 2010 21:52 |  #23

I use about 6-32gb cards so....

LA Wedding photographer (external link) Stunning Bride Photographers.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2010 00:11 |  #24

enginyr wrote in post #10946375 (external link)
I use about 6-32gb cards so....

For one wedding? Is this you and an assistant or just you? Because that's about 8000 images (assuming you're shooting RAW only) and that's just... well... insane! Editing must take you forever!

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

enginyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2010 00:31 |  #25

Video and Photography - Two camera's and sometimes 3. Currently had back to back weddings so I couldn't keep my cards as backup either. One wedding is about 150 gb, then when Final cut pro gets a hold of it.....triple that

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2010 00:42 |  #26

enginyr wrote in post #10947201 (external link)
Video and Photography - Two camera's and sometimes 3. Currently had back to back weddings so I couldn't keep my cards as backup either. One wedding is about 150 gb, then when Final cut pro gets a hold of it.....triple that

Ah! Video makes sense. If I ever get into video I think I'd switch to 32 gigs as well.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 21, 2010 13:41 |  #27

I've used my cards enough times without any problems to not have any jitters about whether or not the memory has been corrupted when I go to download them. Now if I set my cards near a giant magnet and dropped them in water and ran over them with my car...then maybe.

I used to only use lots of 4GB cards, but recently added a couple 8GB and 16GB cards. My position used to be pretty strong in favor of the "don't keep all your eggs in one basket" philosophy, but I've softened my approach on that quite a bit. In case you are interested, here's why:

If memory gets corrupted it rarely if ever gets entirely corrupted. Memory is arranged in blocks within each card, so a data corruption is typically isolated to one section of a card's memory. So even with a 16GB card if one section of a block were to get corrupted, it wouldn't mean that I'd lose everything on that card. Another thing to consider - let's say I want to take 64GB of cards to a wedding. I can take (4)x16GB cards or (16)x4GB cards or some other combination. The more cards I own, the more I am increasing my odds of getting a bad one, right? It's also nice not to have to change cards so often, or carry as many around.

I still carry around a variety of CF card sizes, but I'm not as fanatical about avoiding larger capacity cards anymore. I've also started capturing some HD video clips for the brides as little bonus "extras" on the final DVD we deliver to them. The extra capacity on the cards is nice for this.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

isophotostudio
494 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 21, 2010 15:08 |  #28

My only worry with 16 gigabytes is that when does go bad, there's $70-$100 down the drain, if a 4 gigabyte card goes it's only $25 or so. On the other hand, I recently bought just one, and it was realllllllly nice to not have to worry that my card would fill up in the middle of the vows.

This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Canon 5D Mark 2/Gripped, Canon 7D, Canon 40D, Canon 28-135 f/3.5, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 150 f 2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8
Alien Bee 800 & 400, 2 Dynaphos DP-2497

enginyr
THREAD ­ STARTER
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 21, 2010 15:46 |  #29

that 12 minute capacity is a **** sometimes regardless the size of the card.

by the way. 64 gb cards DO NOT WORK. FYI ;-)a

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 21, 2010 22:20 |  #30

isophotostudio wrote in post #10951061 (external link)
My only worry with 16 gigabytes is that when does go bad, there's $70-$100 down the drain, if a 4 gigabyte card goes it's only $25 or so. On the other hand, I recently bought just one, and it was realllllllly nice to not have to worry that my card would fill up in the middle of the vows.

Wow, memory is cheap where you are from. I cant get a decent 4gb card for less then $100 here.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

sponsored links

5,618 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 15 minutes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.