Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Sep 2010 (Wednesday) 00:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens crashed into concrete and arose such a clatter

cutmasterp
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2010 00:48 |  #1

Well not really crashed, but I dropped my Canon 15mm fisheye and now the focus ring/AF doesnt work.

What do I do? I'd really appreciate it if you'd tell me its an easy fix and I can send it to Canon and be a happy camper (like this guy :cool:)

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 22, 2010 00:54 |  #2

I hear Canon's coming out with an 8-15mm fisheye. ;)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

cutmasterp
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2010 00:56 |  #3

Way to stay positive and punch me in the stomach at the same time. Hard feat

Too bad I'm not in love with fisheye enough to drop that much dough though

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 22, 2010 01:03 |  #4

Is the focus ring completely disabled/locked? Or can you still MF with it?

If you cans till MF with it, then I suspect something got dislodged/unplugged(?) within the lens making it unable to feed power to drive the focus motor. Though sadly, I wouldn't know how to fix it. I can only suspect you'll want to start dissecting from the lens mount side.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

cutmasterp
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2010 01:04 |  #5

No, can't MF with it. The focus ring turns fine and everything, but sadly it just doesn't do anything.

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 22, 2010 01:26 |  #6

cutmasterp wrote in post #10954288 (external link)
No, can't MF with it. The focus ring turns fine and everything, but sadly it just doesn't do anything.

Sounds like a trip to canon then.:(

Gear List

DreamState
187 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 22, 2010 01:51 |  #7

jwcdds wrote in post #10954216 (external link)
I hear Canon's coming out with an 8-15mm fisheye. ;)

lol. I hear that too.

mikeassk
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2010 01:54 |  #8

Ya your in it for about 200-300 bucks im guessing.

Stuff

Paulpp
60 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 22, 2010 01:56 |  #9

Not sure about where you live, but had a similar experience recently and Canon (UK) had a standard repair price, presumably whatever the damage.

Paul Powici - www.paulpowici.com (external link)
http://paulpowiciphoto​graphy.blogspot.co.uk/ (external link)

cutmasterp
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2010 02:12 |  #10

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just put that money towards a more practicle/versatile lens

anothernewb
351 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 22, 2010 08:28 |  #11

I can't say much for the cost of repairing/replacing the lens - but I will say that insurance for cam gear is relatively cheap and probably the best thing one can really do once they've got some gear. I have a rider for my gear and it runs $16 a year for every $1.5k of replacement cost. it's a no deductible - no questions asked policy. They take a copy of the receipt for the gear (they'll even take the paypal/ebay copys if you buy used gear) I look at it this way - at $32 a year for my stuff. it'll take 10 years to make up for even my cheapest piece to pay for itself. I've had to use it once so far. and I have to say the experience was painless.

Gripped 80D, 70-300L, 55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS USM, 85 1.8, 430 EX II

sponsored links

1,745 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens crashed into concrete and arose such a clatter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.