Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,096 posts
Gallery: 339 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 22, 2010 13:19 |  #6241

^ Will do, Leo... Hhehehehehhe.... ;)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 22, 2010 15:07 |  #6242

Way to go Butch ! That's cool.....see....all that drop kicking and general abuse that gets heaped on it by UPS/FedEx kinda jarred it back into working order !!

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 22, 2010 16:15 |  #6243

airbutchie wrote in post #10956472 (external link)
Thanks Donna, Jeff, and Kurt... And thanks for the wonderful suggestion, Jeff... I'll definately look into that to cover some of its cosmetic pitfalls... Hehhehehehehhe... As promised, a couple of product shots and a sample shot wide open...

:)

HOLY CRAP BUTCHIE! That's one HELL of a snag!

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 22, 2010 16:17 |  #6244

I'll definately look into that to cover some of its cosmetic pitfalls...

....those are NOT "cosmetic pitfalls"....those are character marks !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2010 16:21 |  #6245

airbutchie wrote in post #10953934 (external link)
Okay... So remember the glassware I mentioned last week... Well... It came in today... Cosmetically, I'd give it a fair 6.5 to 7 out of 10... Paint chips, blemishes, and one ding in front of the hood element... But what do you expect from a 13 year old lens from Adorama's "used" department... Optically, though, it was pretty clean inside... I can see a few dust speckles in the back but that's about it... The front element is extremely clean and clear... NOW HERE'S THE KICKER...

The description mentioned that the focusing mechanism was shot to hell and that "manual" focusing was the only way to use it... OH BOY WE'RE THEY COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WRONG!!! It works works WORKS!!! I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least... Anyhoo... Cosmetics "C+/B-".... Optics "B+"... Fully functional "A+"... Amount paid, "82% less than a brand new 400 2.8L IS mk 1"... Hhehehhehhehe... You can do the math... Product and sample shots forthcoming!!!

bw!

I'm going to guess about $1,691 USD ??

Congrats mate, Would love one!:D

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,096 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 22, 2010 16:40 |  #6246

Thanks everyone for the congratulatory comments... I feel like I just won a "used lens lottery"!!! Hehhehehhee... And Charlie... Subtract another $350 from that price, mate...

;)

Hi. My name is Butch...

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 22, 2010 16:51 |  #6247

Nice price, I'll have one, one day!

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,096 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 22, 2010 18:32 |  #6248

^ I have no doubt, dude...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...

ZensLens
601 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 22, 2010 18:35 |  #6249

Easier?? Just one from a walk today.

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5015016049_ac27a43afc_b.jpg

www.zenslens.ca (external link)
Canon 6D, Sigma 35 1.4 Art, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, Sigma 105 Macro, Canon 17-40 F4L,

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
13,096 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 22, 2010 19:42 |  #6250

^ Interesting find... But what kind of "aliens" are we talking about? The female transformer kind? The new Batterstar Galactica cylon kind? Illegal kind? Or the Predator "half human, half creature, long hair, ugly teeth, and 7 foot kind?

Come to think of it, we already have an "alien" as governor here in California... Unfortunately, he didn't make things too easy... Hhehehehehhee...

;)

Hi. My name is Butch...

xubl
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 22, 2010 20:51 |  #6251

I got an used 35L recently. I feel that it is too soft wide open, have to step down to 2.8 to get a relatively sharp picture. I don't know if it is caused by 1ds2 or the 35L. 85L and 135L have no problem at all on 1ds2. Or the softness due to my shooting skill? I admit my hands are not sturdy at all.
any suggestions?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 22, 2010 21:42 as a reply to  @ xubl's post |  #6252

So now I have D700 and a 1D classic and I am on the hunt for a 45mm 2.8G PC-E Nikkor.

I like being dual-dependent; it eliminates any symptoms of emotionally setting in a brand through removing loyalism. Everything is more the grand. :)

The 1D classic in my tests, despite the hideous sensor condition it was sent in and how easy the EF piece slides off, when having a 70-200mm 2.8L IS II mounted onto it...wow.

No need for cropping at even 4.1MP. :D

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 22, 2010 21:44 |  #6253

xubl wrote in post #10959644 (external link)
I got an used 35L recently. I feel that it is too soft wide open, have to step down to 2.8 to get a relatively sharp picture. I don't know if it is caused by 1ds2 or the 35L. 85L and 135L have no problem at all on 1ds2. Or the softness due to my shooting skill? I admit my hands are not sturdy at all.
any suggestions?

I have always thought of the 35mm 1.4L the biggest disappoint in wide-open performance in my use of Canon's fast L-class primes. I even found the 24mm 1.4L I even more usable wide open.

I loved using the 1Ds II. I seriously think everyone should own one just at least once; especially if they shoot RAW and PP in LR or ACR...just wow.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

xubl
59 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 23, 2010 07:34 |  #6254

I was excited when I got the 35L, and used it on my daughter's birthday party. however, even at f2, pictures are too soft unless step down to f2.8 or smaller. that was really disappointing coz it would be no useful to get a 35L.
to eliminating effect of my shaky hands, I test shot outdoor daytime at f1.4 That is soft. I saw some images here with 35L wide open that were sharp. so maybe i just got a bad copy.

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 23, 2010 07:43 |  #6255

xubl wrote in post #10962298 (external link)
I was excited when I got the 35L, and used it on my daughter's birthday party. however, even at f2, pictures are too soft unless step down to f2.8 or smaller. that was really disappointing coz it would be no useful to get a 35L.
to eliminating effect of my shaky hands, I test shot outdoor daytime at f1.4 That is soft. I saw some images here with 35L wide open that were sharp. so maybe i just got a bad copy.

You need to send it in to Canon for calibration; that is not normal.

Gear List

Michael

sponsored links

1,366,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.