Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 14:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 vs Canon Non-'L' Primes

LeftSide
144 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 23, 2010 14:23 |  #1

I did a search on the forums and found a lot of 24-70 'L' vs 'L' prime posts but couldn't find anything about the non-'l' primes.

I just bought a used 5d and got an excellent price on it. I just sold my 40d and I'm currently in the process of selling my crop body lenses. I should have around $1250 for lenses after everything is sold. I mainly do outdoor family and kid portraits and could really see myself getting the 85 1.8 and 35 f/2. I could shoot almost everything with this combination and later (when I have the money) get something for the wider end.

BUT, I have been helping a friend out with weddings (and getting paid for it) and I'm afraid of missing shots I would have otherwise gotten with the 24-70 'L'. Although the extra stops on the primes would come in handy. I'm just beginning to be half-way descent and building enough confidence to charge for my work.
I've been beating my head against the wall trying to decide what I want to do, and I just can't make the decision.

Positive Feedback

sponsored links
TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 23, 2010 14:34 |  #2

If you're shooting with a single camera, I would use the zoom.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

dengar
987 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 23, 2010 14:57 |  #3

You can always get the Tamron 28-75 for your zoom lens for around $350 used, then use the rest for your primes.

johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 23, 2010 14:58 |  #4

It's been many years since I shot 35mm f/2, but when I used it I had no complaints in terms of optics. Build quality was OK. I was working for a newspaper back then, and I generally shot a bit wider and my go to lens was 24mm (for wide angle shot that is). So, I would personally pick something wider than 35mm, IF you have a 50mm.

I love the 85mm f/1.8. Great optics. Again, the build quality was OK when I had it.

Back then I also used 28-70 f/2.8L, and I would say they were all sharp enough for any of my work. I think 24-70 is a bit sharper than 28-70, but I never compared it side by side.

Anyway, I don't think you have to worry about the non-L prime being worse than L-zoom. For most general shots we take, it wouldn't matter. This is optically speaking. L lenses do have better build quality.

This is a tough call, in terms of recommendation. If you are going to get only one lens, 24-70 is probably be more useful.

Only downside is whether you have to worry about lowlight situations where flash photography is not allowed (i.e. wedding)? If so those 2.0 and 1.8 speed comes in real handy.

If you are strictly doing (outdoor) portraits, then I would stick with 85mm f/1.8 for head and shoulder shots, 50mm f/1.4 for full length shots, and add something wider like 24/28/30/35mm at a later time. 50mm and 85mm lens can shoot beautiful portraits with that shallow DOF.

Rebel_XT_Newbie
166 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 23, 2010 14:58 |  #5

I love my 24-70. My go to lens for a number of difference situations. Did I mention I love it?

packpe89
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2010 17:09 |  #6

I sold my 24-70 to fund a sigma 30/1.4 and efs 60 Macro and Love this combination. Much smaller, lighter and more versitle than the brick. Obiviously, these aren't solutions for the 5D, but a similiar pair can be found, such as a 28/1.8 and 50/1.4 (canon or Sigma)

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

sponsored links

1,797 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-70 f/2.8 vs Canon Non-'L' Primes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.