Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 19 Apr 2010 (Monday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LMSYS - Round II

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 23, 2010 15:47 |  #946

I got lost in a pile of birth announcement layouts and slideshows........ So nice to see chatter and conversation... Back to work I go.... Is it Friday yet....? sigh.... :)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links
macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2010 17:23 as a reply to  @ Kristy's post |  #947

I enjoyed reading through those clippings Allen - thanks for posting up.

I've always been curious how many of you sell your images. I don't, nor do I think they'd fetch anything regardless, but there is simply a lot of talent just in LMSYS and POTN as a whole.

Drop a post in here if you make $$$ on your images. And remember, friends don't let friends use watermarks while drinking - mayhem may ensue! :)

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,850 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2010 19:48 |  #948

macroshot wrote in post #10965887 (external link)

I've always been curious how many of you sell your images. I don't, nor do I think they'd fetch anything regardless, but there is simply a lot of talent just in LMSYS and POTN as a whole.

Drop a post in here if you make $$$ on your images. And remember, friends don't let friends use watermarks while drinking - mayhem may ensue! :)

I've sold. I usually get a couple sales with each show. Sold an entire portfolio once. I couldn't live on the art though. Just shot a corporate boat cruise down the Chicago River this late afternoon and evening. For all you Bear fans the guest celeb was Dan Hampton. I'll post some images later if you'd like.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,662 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 23, 2010 21:36 |  #949

macroshot wrote in post #10965887 (external link)

I heartily agree. I've not sold a single one, I don't really care if I do or not either. It is just a hobby. However, what I love about just a few threads on this forum, is that no matter what your niche is, be it weddings, portraits, macro, airlines, landscapes etc., there is so much to learn, and people are genuinely willing to help out. I can't even begin to say how much i have learned and improved because of you lot (and others). So if I make a sale one day, it may be me who pressed the button on the camera, but everyone will have helped me get to that point.

SmugMug (external link)

Cdeming
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 23, 2010 22:35 |  #950

Harm wrote in post #10967299 (external link)
I heartily agree. I've not sold a single one, I don't really care if I do or not either. It is just a hobby. However, what I love about just a few threads on this forum, is that no matter what your niche is, be it weddings, portraits, macro, airlines, landscapes etc., there is so much to learn, and people are genuinely willing to help out. I can't even begin to say how much i have learned and improved because of you lot (and others). So if I make a sale one day, it may be me who pressed the button on the camera, but everyone will have helped me get to that point.

Amen. :)

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

airfrogusmc
36,850 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2010 22:56 |  #951

Harm wrote in post #10967299 (external link)

Harm, I couldn't begin to live on what I've sold. Very few have been able to live on just their art, support a family and have any standard of living. I shoot professionally to do all of that and that is the base for everything even my personal work. I don't care if I sell and the pressure because of what I do professional isn't there to sell. I've been lucky and have been able to make some extra money from sales from exhibits but my last exhibit was 2 years ago. For me its just more about getting my work shown. To get live feedback from others at the show. Selling if it happens is just icing on the cake. The cool thing about working for an exhibit is getting 30 images that all work together. Like pieces of a puzzle. Its not about one great image but 30 great images that all work together. And shooting with a theme in mind is a great discipline. The editing is always the toughest. You can have a really strong image but if it doesn't fit with the others you have to have the sense to leave it out. Maybe it will fit into another body of work on down the road.

Quick edit from earlier tonight and yes that is a super bowl ring on his left hand.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_7735.jpg

Harm
48,662 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2010 07:05 |  #952

Cdeming wrote in post #10967606 (external link)
Amen. :)

When did we get into church?!

airfrogusmc wrote in post #10967712 (external link)
Harm, I couldn't begin to live on what I've sold. Very few have been able to live on just their art, support a family and have any standard of living. I shoot professionally to do all of that and that is the base for everything even my personal work. I don't care if I sell and the pressure because of what I do professional isn't there to sell. I've been lucky and have been able to make some extra money from sales from exhibits but my last exhibit was 2 years ago. For me its just more about getting my work shown. To get live feedback from others at the show. Selling if it happens is just icing on the cake. The cool thing about working for an exhibit is getting 30 images that all work together. Like pieces of a puzzle. Its not about one great image but 30 great images that all work together. And shooting with a theme in mind is a great discipline. The editing is always the toughest. You can have a really strong image but if it doesn't fit with the others you have to have the sense to leave it out. Maybe it will fit into another body of work on down the road.

Yes, I knew it was tough, then you see all these threads that pop up "I want to be a wedding photographer, and make $$$, how do I do it?". Maybe there should be an auto response to threads like that with "Dear Santa, can I have a copy of Dummies Guide to....."

I've never even thought about galleries, so I never even twigged in my brain that you need all the photos to work together. A theme, yes, but photos working all together - learn something new everyday!

SmugMug (external link)

soleful2001
343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 24, 2010 09:49 |  #953

I have sold a few to the newspaper. While I have not made a load of money, it is fun to see something published. Here is one of my photos that sold.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 50D, Canon 80D, Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Fisheye, Tamron 10-24, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 28mm f1.8, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens,Tamron Di VC 70-200 f2.8,Tamron 2x teleconvertor
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/soleful2001/ (external link)

Harm
48,662 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2010 10:06 |  #954

^ birds + a snake?

SmugMug (external link)

soleful2001
343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 24, 2010 10:20 |  #955

Harm wrote in post #10969906 (external link)
^ birds + a snake?

yes, thrashers were defending their nest.

Canon 50D, Canon 80D, Rokinon 8mm f3.5 Fisheye, Tamron 10-24, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon 28mm f1.8, Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens,Tamron Di VC 70-200 f2.8,Tamron 2x teleconvertor

Harm
48,662 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2010 11:06 |  #956

successfully? or epic fail?

SmugMug (external link)

soleful2001
343 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 24, 2010 12:10 |  #957

The snake was driven off this time, but I have seen it on numerous occasions. I have a few photos on my flickr account. It is amazing how these critters can climb.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,342 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 24, 2010 14:20 |  #958

So, I'm gonna close this week tonight at 8PM (west coast)...So post em up people!
I should have results up by midnight Sunday....

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

airfrogusmc
36,850 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 17:07 |  #959

Harm wrote in post #10969122 (external link)
When did we get into church?!

Yes, I knew it was tough, then you see all these threads that pop up "I want to be a wedding photographer, and make $$$, how do I do it?". Maybe there should be an auto response to threads like that with "Dear Santa, can I have a copy of Dummies Guide to....."

I've never even thought about galleries, so I never even twigged in my brain that you need all the photos to work together. A theme, yes, but photos working all together - learn something new everyday!

And you need to also think about flow. Which image and how the image should lead the viewer to the next image. So there should be an opening image and a final image and all the images in between should be all working together like pieces of a puzzle that make a greater whole once they are all together.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,342 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 26, 2010 23:51 |  #960

Waiting for the judges to send me their totals.........
.. :eyes

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

sponsored links

95,731 views & 0 likes for this thread
LMSYS - Round II
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.