Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 23 Sep 2010 (Thursday) 17:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CHDK - is hacking the firmware really worth it?

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 23, 2010 17:02 |  #1

I have SX10 IS and am seeking opinions of members of this forum if it is really worth hacking the firmware that Canon puts on your P&S cameras.

For those who are not aware what CHDK is - it is a hack for the firmware which adds a lot of features to your P&S which are otherwise not present on your camera with Canon's firmware.

Thanks,
Nik

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 23, 2010 17:17 |  #2

it isn't hacking the firmware. it's a program that runs in conjunction with your camera's normal firmware.

nothing needs to be installed into the camera, only onto the sd card.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 23, 2010 17:29 |  #3

c2thew wrote in post #10965853 (external link)
it isn't hacking the firmware. it's a program that runs in conjunction with your camera's normal firmware.

nothing needs to be installed into the camera, only onto the sd card.

And yes it can be worth placing on the SD card - getting raw files to play with is well worth it, let alone some of the special stuff that can be done such as motion detection.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 23, 2010 18:50 as a reply to  @ pleb1024's post |  #4

Using CHDK on both of my Canon's, my A540 and G11, there are plenty of features to experiment with, I mostly like to do time lapse.
As far as being "worth it" it didn't cost me anything, except some time spent learning.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 23, 2010 19:50 |  #5

A lot depends on what you want to do.

Time lapse, as others mentioned, is a possibility. Shooting in RAW is a huge deal, as you can correct exposure mistakes a lot easier. I shot a plane that almost crashed when landing, and it was horribly underexposed because I had (a second earlier) been facing the opposite direction to shoot something else. Shooting in Raw saved the shot.

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/Close-call-bw/886959176_AcGGj-XL.jpg

Thank you. bw!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 23, 2010 19:51 |  #6

Dang! That's a low fly-by. I'm amazed he didn't ding his prop!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 23, 2010 20:04 |  #7

Just the info that can be added to the screen makes it worth it for me. Then there is all the additional stuff like cable remote, programmable auto iso, manual controls, manual focus, flash power adjustment, RAW, bracketing, in camera .DNG conversion, and lots more

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 23, 2010 20:13 |  #8

I did some of my own research and found out that it is not indeed a hack to Canon in-camera firmware and runs from a bootable SD card. So thanks for helping me refine my understanding.

And yes, I do realize some of the features it adds opens a world of opportunities; but well that exactly was the reason for my question - is it worth it in terms of the final outcome - ultimately, a P&S is going to give you only P&S type of pictures or is it that with added features, it can deliver a lot more. RAW is just one brick in the wall of good pictures, isn't it?

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 23, 2010 20:30 |  #9

Jon wrote in post #10966683 (external link)
Dang! That's a low fly-by. I'm amazed he didn't ding his prop!

Yeah, he was landing, but I guess he didn't feel the gear, so he went back up and circled around. There were a few gasps from the crowd. That's what caused me to swing around and start shooting.

Then, not five minutes later I started chimping and deleting underexposed phots until I realized what I was deleting. Managed to keep one just in the nick of time.

Thank you. bw!

stevewf1
779 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2010 01:28 |  #10

I have a question about CHDK... I'd just heard of this about 3 weeks ago, haven't tried it yet and haven't done much research into it - yet.

For example, The SX20 doesn't have "superfine" JPEG and it seems to me to get that would only require some kind of "parameter" being passed to the JPEG engine already in the DIGIC processor. My question is: Does CHDK actually "supply" the needed processing code to do these functions? Or is this code already included in the DIGIC "OS" but can't be accessed because they were simply left out of the menu and function options by Canon's marketing department?

So is CHDK basically an "expanded" menu/function system that allows access to code already there, or is it the code itself?

Hope all that makes sense...

Steve

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 24, 2010 02:11 |  #11

stevewf1 wrote in post #10968362 (external link)
I have a question about CHDK... I'd just heard of this about 3 weeks ago, haven't tried it yet and haven't done much research into it - yet.

For example, The SX20 doesn't have "superfine" JPEG and it seems to me to get that would only require some kind of "parameter" being passed to the JPEG engine already in the DIGIC processor. My question is: Does CHDK actually "supply" the needed processing code to do these functions? Or is this code already included in the DIGIC "OS" but can't be accessed because they were simply left out of the menu and function options by Canon's marketing department?

So is CHDK basically an "expanded" menu/function system that allows access to code already there, or is it the code itself?

Hope all that makes sense...

Well I did not go into the technical details of it. Hope I make some sense and helps in some way. At first glance, it looked like a combination of additional scripts in Basic and libraries in C running within a camera's OS/runtime engine; all of it gets stored on your SD card which is FAT16/FAT32 formatted and is made bootable when you install CHDK.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

stevewf1
779 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 24, 2010 04:27 |  #12

nikmar08 wrote in post #10968508 (external link)
Well I did not go into the technical details of it. Hope I make some sense and helps in some way. At first glance, it looked like a combination of additional scripts in Basic and libraries in C running within a camera's OS/runtime engine; all of it gets stored on your SD card which is FAT16/FAT32 formatted and is made bootable when you install CHDK.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand completely...

What I'm wondering is if the DIGIC IV processor already has the necessary code/routines/librarie​s built in to do such things like SuperFine and RAW. In the SX20 for example, has Canon simply chosen not to include these routines in the firmware?

Does CHDK supply that "missing code"? Does CHDK simply allow access to the code already there?

Is Canon complaining about CHDK? Haven't heard anything along those lines...

Steve

hnikesch
Goldmember
1,133 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 24, 2010 09:33 |  #13

It is added code that can control some of the mechanical components of the camera and also grab the data off the image sensor before it gets to the jpeg engine. It forces settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, focus, flash) that you request regardless of exposure. It also allows you some file control like combining RAW files several ways in the camera, and converting CHDK raw into .DNG format that can be used in most RAW editing software.

I run it auto loaded all the time to get more screen info like focus distance(close and far) to make sure the camera chose the correct focus point and to know DOF distances. The battery gauge is better, and it can show optical zoom (X factor) currently being used. I also always use custom auto ISO to from ISO 50 to ISO 500 (camera default is 80-400) On my older canon SD900 it will display aperture, shutter and ISO where the stock camera wouldn't.
Hans

Hans
It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Canon S100 w/CHDK, SD990 w/CHDK, SD900 w/CHDK, Pentax K30, & Kr, Pentax Q7 Flickr: (external link)

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 24, 2010 10:02 |  #14

stevewf1 wrote in post #10968793 (external link)
Thanks, but I'm still not sure I understand completely...

What I'm wondering is if the DIGIC IV processor already has the necessary code/routines/librarie​s built in to do such things like SuperFine and RAW. In the SX20 for example, has Canon simply chosen not to include these routines in the firmware?

Does CHDK supply that "missing code"? Does CHDK simply allow access to the code already there?

I guess Hans answered this better than I did.

stevewf1 wrote in post #10968793 (external link)
Is Canon complaining about CHDK? Haven't heard anything along those lines...

You should read the fine on their website... no known warranty-void, mechanical-screw-up issues have been reported yet AFAIK.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
1,422 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 24, 2010 11:10 as a reply to  @ nikmar08's post |  #15

You can go here (external link) to learn more and ask questions in the forum for CHDK.

One forum you may like is the Creative Uses of CHDK, there are many posts of what people have done.

Also do a search on You Tube for instructions and uses.

sponsored links

5,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
CHDK - is hacking the firmware really worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.