Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Oct 2009 (Tuesday) 00:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official: Canon 1D Mk IV

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 22, 2010 02:53 |  #5461

Yep I sure would love to be her Playmate...

sponsored links
dennykyser
966 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 22, 2010 10:52 |  #5462

Well after several months of having the 1D IV, I sold my 1DS Mark III and replaced it with a second 1D IV, every time I used the 1DS III I was wanting more reach and higher ISO. I do not think I will miss the 21 MP, I sell as many 20X24 wall portraits show with the ID IV as I did that one and to be honest can not tell enough difference to overcome the great ISO range and speed of the newer body.

Gear
Website (external link)
SportsShooters (external link)
MaxPreps (external link)

mikemo618
326 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 22, 2010 10:58 |  #5463

veronephoto wrote in post #10949614 (external link)
Playmate Tamara Lynn

LOL, she is an old high school classmate of mine. Gotta love Ohio girls. Tell her I said hi if you see her again.

5D2, 7D, 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 16-35L ii, 135L , 50 1.4, and other assorted goodies.
Zenfolio (external link)
500px (external link)

str8six
672 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 22, 2010 13:08 |  #5464

tell her I said hi too :)

Regards, Len B
Gear List

veronephoto
339 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 22, 2010 19:46 |  #5465

mikemo618 wrote in post #10956389 (external link)
LOL, she is an old high school classmate of mine. Gotta love Ohio girls. Tell her I said hi if you see her again.

Mike, I will, whats your last name.....send me a pm bro :)

Canon 1D Mk 4, Canon 5dmk 2, Canon 40D gripped with 28-135 IS, 70-200 F2.8 IS, 20-35 f3.5,24-105 IS,50 1.8, 85 1.2 II,100 2.8 is macro, 50 1.4, 580EX 2 speedlite/ Canon rebel xti with grip R.I.P/ backup camera- casio exilim and pentax optio S, lowepro sling, lowepro flipside 300, Pelicans 1510,1490,1080,alienbe​es , ALS notebook case, macbook, OPtech straps, giotto blowers, Thank you to Kingston Technologies and to Pelican Cases

mikemo618
326 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 23, 2010 08:26 |  #5466

veronephoto wrote in post #10959323 (external link)
Mike, I will, whats your last name.....send me a pm bro :)

Done. Beautiful shot by the way.

5D2, 7D, 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 16-35L ii, 135L , 50 1.4, and other assorted goodies.
Zenfolio (external link)
500px (external link)

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2010 11:45 |  #5467

Hi,

I've just acquired a 1D IV and have some questions. I've read the instructions (well more than half) and have some pictures

Taken in sRAW, used DPP

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i98.photobucket​.com …e/Misc/BG2I8192​_test2.jpg (external link)

http://i98.photobucket​.com …e/Misc/BG2I8193​_test2.jpg (external link)

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do 100% crop!:( but here's with some trimming done

1a.

http://i98.photobucket​.com …sc/BG2I8192_tes​t_crop.jpg (external link)
2a.

http://i98.photobucket​.com …sc/BG2I8193_tes​t_crop.jpg (external link)

For 1, the focus point is exactly under her chin. Why is it out of focus? She standing as still as a 1.5yr old can be reasonably expected to.
For 2, the focus point is on the chest on the flower. It's perfectly in focus (as to be expected)
2 was taken 20secs after 1.

The EXIF data for both pics is as follows:

35mm 1.4L @ 1/200s, f2.0, ISO 640
AI servo
CFn III 2- minus 1 AI servo tracking sensitivity
CFn III 3-0 AF priority.tracking priority
CFn III 4-1 Continuous AF track priority
CFn III 5-0 Focus search on
CFn III 8-2 AF expansion surrounding points
CFn III 10-3 Inner 9 points

What should I be changing to get the first pic in focus?

I have another set of her when walking and the same happened - first shot OOF, 2nd shot OK.

I haven't been able to use the camera much today but this has happened a couple of times. Is there anything in the settings I need to be aware of?

haibane
172 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 23, 2010 20:08 |  #5468

flickserve wrote in post #10963814 (external link)
Hi,

I've just acquired a 1D IV and have some questions. I've read the instructions (well more than half) and have some pictures

Taken in sRAW, used DPP

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do 100% crop!:( but here's with some trimming done

1a.
QUOTED IMAGE
2a.
QUOTED IMAGE

For 1, the focus point is exactly under her chin. Why is it out of focus? She standing as still as a 1.5yr old can be reasonably expected to.
For 2, the focus point is on the chest on the flower. It's perfectly in focus (as to be expected)
2 was taken 20secs after 1.

The EXIF data for both pics is as follows:

35mm 1.4L @ 1/200s, f2.0, ISO 640
AI servo
CFn III 2- minus 1 AI servo tracking sensitivity
CFn III 3-0 AF priority.tracking priority
CFn III 4-1 Continuous AF track priority
CFn III 5-0 Focus search on
CFn III 8-2 AF expansion surrounding points
CFn III 10-3 Inner 9 points

What should I be changing to get the first pic in focus?

I have another set of her when walking and the same happened - first shot OOF, 2nd shot OK.

I haven't been able to use the camera much today but this has happened a couple of times. Is there anything in the settings I need to be aware of?

My guess is you should be using one shot. You use almost Identical settings as me. I might recommending turning on the Show AF point and then posting that image. I assume you are selecting the focus point yourself instead of using the matrix. Also I'm a little confused on your choice of AF spots as I usually focus on the eyes so I haven't run into this issue

Canon 1d Mark IV Canon 17-40L Canon 50 f/1.4 Canon 300 F/4 non-is Canon 420ez

Jimlevitt
181 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 04:10 |  #5469

haibane wrote in post #10966806 (external link)
My guess is you should be using one shot. You use almost Identical settings as me. I might recommending turning on the Show AF point and then posting that image. I assume you are selecting the focus point yourself instead of using the matrix. Also I'm a little confused on your choice of AF spots as I usually focus on the eyes so I haven't run into this issue

I've had similar problems with my 1D4. I use rear-button focus, and I'm in servo mode almost all the time. This camera should be able to lock focus - and hold it! - in servo mode. In the next instant, that cute child could start moving. We shouldn't have to push a button and turn a dial before the camera is ready for that next situation. But my 1D4 will miss one or two frames out of three, or will go zero for one, on scenes that are simple. It's very, very frustrating. I think my 1D3 did better, actually. I hope Canon issues a firmware update to improve low-light AF on this camera.

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2010 05:52 |  #5470

haibane wrote in post #10966806 (external link)

I don't know how to make a screen shot into a jpg. That's why I gave a description of where the AF point should be.:( If you can tell me how to do, I'll put it up.

For a top notch AF camera after x generations of development, does it really matter (at that light level) if the AF point is on somewhere else on the face but not on the eyes?

I selected the AF point and inner 9 points to get the focus on her face. I'm not that picky but the first picture is so obviously OOF and she is stationary! Even AF servo should get fairly close to the correct focus point.

My expectation is that the camera's AF should be better than my 5D2 in photographing my children.

I have to agree with Jimlevitt's post. ie

We shouldn't have to push a button and turn a dial before the camera is ready for that next situation

edit Just worked out how to do the screen shot showing the focus point on the OOF photo

http://i98.photobucket​.com …serve/Misc/focu​spoint.gif (external link)

Thanks for the input

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 24, 2010 10:26 |  #5471

haibane wrote in post #10900938 (external link)
I haven't seen this with my 12800 iso, how was this processed?

Processed with standard LR3.2 workflow with very minor noise reduction applied - I'm sure it would clean up more if I had noise removal software of some sort... 1D Mark IV, 70-200 f4L IS + 2x extender, ISO 12,800

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I had people emailing me and accusing me of faking the EXIF data on this shot when I posted it on a Nikon forum... and they didn't believe that I could use AF at f8 either... :lol:

(and I still don't get why some people think the 1D IV has trouble focusing in low light - I haven't seen any indication of it yet)

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 24, 2010 13:05 as a reply to  @ mikemo618's post |  #5472

veronephoto wrote in post #10949614 (external link)
Playmate Tamara Lynn
QUOTED IMAGE

Tell her, I say hi too ...

with lovely kiss ...

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

Dirby
533 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 24, 2010 14:10 |  #5473

tongki wrote in post #10971092 (external link)
Tell her, I say hi too ...

with lovely kiss ...

WOW.

HarrisonClicks
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 24, 2010 17:44 |  #5474

flickserve wrote in post #10968954 (external link)
I don't know how to make a screen shot into a jpg. That's why I gave a description of where the AF point should be.:( If you can tell me how to do, I'll put it up.

For a top notch AF camera after x generations of development, does it really matter (at that light level) if the AF point is on somewhere else on the face but not on the eyes?

I selected the AF point and inner 9 points to get the focus on her face. I'm not that picky but the first picture is so obviously OOF and she is stationary! Even AF servo should get fairly close to the correct focus point.

My expectation is that the camera's AF should be better than my 5D2 in photographing my children.

I have to agree with Jimlevitt's post. ie

edit Just worked out how to do the screen shot showing the focus point on the OOF photo
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Thanks for the input

THANK YOU. I am a Canon fan boy but I am having the SAME problem with my Mark IV. When coupled with my 300 mm f/2.8L shooting my kids soccer, I am getting more than my share of OOF shots at shutter speeds exceeding 1/2000 - even with almost stationary subjects. I pulled up the shots with DPP instead of LR to see the AF points and its the same thing. I verified the point was on the mark but still OOF. What gives here? I am not in the top 10 at Sportsshooter.com but I am talented enough to know at AI servo, 200 ISO, M mode, etc. I have my settings correct. Something is wrong.

Adam

Adam
Gear List Temporarily Removed

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 24, 2010 18:29 as a reply to  @ HarrisonClicks's post |  #5475

Have you guys called customer service at 1-800-OKCANNON...if what you suggesting is indeed correct, they will e-mail a prepaid shipping label to ship it back.
With the caveat that it is covered under warranty and purchased from a approved dealer and not e-bay.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

1,132,600 views & 6 likes for this thread
Official: Canon 1D Mk IV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.