Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 Sep 2010 (Monday) 05:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mark IV 1D: Is it Worth Buying?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2010 11:59 |  #16

Project22a wrote in post #10943044 (external link)
For weddings and studio, you're better off with the 5Dmk2.

This is flawed thinking. The MkIV is completely capable of doing either.

It boils down to whether or not the OP needs the build, cohesive ergonomics (integral grip), size (integral grip = big camera all the time), customization and is able to afford all of the above.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Anders ­ Östberg
Goldmember
3,395 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Sep 20, 2010 12:30 |  #17

Of course it's eminently capable, maybe even over-qualified.

However, for that money you can buy two 5D Mark II bodies and have money over towards a lens. AF is certainly not as good, but many a wedding photographer seem to make do. In the studio it's hardly an issue.

Anyway, if money is an object, I'd give some thought to what's best bang for the buck for this specific use.

Anders Östberg - Mostly Canon gear - My photos (external link)

Bradfordguy
941 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 20, 2010 15:09 as a reply to  @ Anders Östberg's post |  #18

For the price of a 1D4 you can also get a 7D and a 5D2. That combo will likely handle 99% of what most people need unless you shoot in harsh and humid enviroments. Weddings & studio don't classify as harsh to me.

G10, 7D gripped, 17-55 2.8 IS , 70-200L 2.8 IS MKII, EF 85 1.8, 105 2.8 EX Sigma Macro, 1.4 TC , 580 EXII, 430 EX, ST-E2

icarus57
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2010 04:01 |  #19

Project22a wrote in post #10943044 (external link)
For weddings and studio, you're better off with the 5Dmk2.

That's what the sales person told me at his shop. He also said to wait for the mkIV 1DS, if my main focus was studio and weddings

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 21, 2010 04:10 |  #20

icarus57 wrote in post #10941492 (external link)
I am curious as to why, the Mark IV 1d has been receiving lots of mix reviews since it's arrival. I wanted to purchase a 2nd body and have been looking at the MK IV 1D for a while. After reading a few reviews on Canon USA and B&H photos, I was discouraged to purchase it. I read that besides it's 1.3x crop, it has focusing and low-light issues, most consumers or pros that were pro Canon have switched to Nikon and are now using the D3S or D3X.

For those that have been using it for the past months, is it worth purchasing the body? I plan to use it mainly for weddings and studio photography.

Thank you for your time

Why don't you rent it out for a few days and see for yourself if you like it or not? The only way to really see if it will work for your needs is to try it out, not to ask someone else for their advice. Remember, not everyone is the same and results will vary. Stop by Hawaii Camera and check it out. It cost $80.00 a day to rent. http://www.hawaiicamer​a.com/ (external link)

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

zshaft
357 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 21, 2010 07:15 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #21

It happens to me also now, to decide whether i would buy 1D4 or wait for 1Ds4 or... just move to D3s nikon. Until today i still use my 5D2 for wedding. I'm very pleased with the IQ of 5D2 gives. Top notch with that price. Well, sometimes i found 5D2 is quite difficult to lock the focus in a for say, quite dark / minimum lighting around the object. And very slow focus-locked if paired with 100L macro. Then, i searched for D3S compared with 1D4, and from what i got so far, D3s is better than 1D4 in AF performance, IQ, pixel density, High ISO noise, and saturation, which are the important items for wedding photography (for me). If i have to move to D3S, i have to sell every single canon equipment and it's very painful. ~ L glasses ~ Well, Conclusion from me: IMHO, for myself, 1D4 is not worth buying.

Canon 1Dx | 24 L II | 85 L II | 200 L II | Extender 1.4x & 2x III
Sigma 120-300 mm 2.8 OS HSM.

Project22a
453 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 23, 2010 18:05 |  #22

I'm just trying to save the guy some money. The 5D2 is more than capable for wedding and studio work. The extra build and FPS of the 1D would be put to waste (unless you shoot some CRAZY weddings!), and you can always grip the 5D2 if you want. IMO, if you can't decide whether or not you need a 1D body for yourself, you probably don't.

B&W film shooter gone digital.

HKGuns
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2010 20:16 |  #23

Yes I own the 1DMIV and yes it is worth buying. I'd suggest you read every page of the 1DMIV sticky up at the top and get a gander at all of the dissatisfied 1DIV users.

jasonleehl
521 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 23, 2010 20:53 as a reply to  @ HKGuns's post |  #24

Yes, I think 5D2 (I vouch for this) can do weddings fine. The only time I felt a little disappointed is during couples marching in, in very dimly lit hotel banquets. Despite this (and after knowing my camera's strengths & weaknesses), I usually get a decent hit rate.

'Worth buying?' is a variable statement as worthy may be different strokes to different people. For me, I'm selling my 5D2 + 135 for a 1D4 + 85. Personally, I think that the 1.3x, high ISO capabilities, different focal lengths coupled with my FF camera and auto-focusing accuracy are worthwhile for me.

But I can only answer you when I get it in Hong Kong next month and I drop you a PM then. That is, if you havn't plunged into the purchase.

You're welcome to follow me at Instagram (external link) or visit my gallery at http://www.timestoodst​ill.sg (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 24, 2010 19:53 |  #25

The OP lives in Hawaii. If he does any landscape outdoor shooting; the 7 frame bracketing might be a benefit for HDR as well..

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

JBF
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 24, 2010 20:16 |  #26

icarus57 wrote in post #10941492 (external link)
I am curious as to why, the Mark IV 1d has been receiving lots of mix reviews since it's arrival. I wanted to purchase a 2nd body and have been looking at the MK IV 1D for a while. After reading a few reviews on Canon USA and B&H photos, I was discouraged to purchase it. I read that besides it's 1.3x crop, it has focusing and low-light issues, most consumers or pros that were pro Canon have switched to Nikon and are now using the D3S or D3X.

For those that have been using it for the past months, is it worth purchasing the body? I plan to use it mainly for weddings and studio photography.

Thank you for your time

Best Canon sports camera ever. The Mark II N in my opinion was the best, but now after using the Mark IV for about a year, this is by far their best. Image quality + speed + AF = AWESOME!! For those that are **** about the AF ( low light ), either they haven't used the camera or they are comparing it to the 10D.

JBF
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0

sponsored links

5,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mark IV 1D: Is it Worth Buying?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.