Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 18 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 20:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I crashed my car today

Derf
604 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 18, 2010 20:25 |  #1

first I totaled my CRV with a drunk driver on new highway a few years back with a hit and run driver. The driver was known as having many DWI's.

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/photos/245237032_uAkd8-L-2.jpg

This morning on the way to work I had been doing 60mph on Ocean Parkway in the granny lane when a car in the fast lane with his left blinker about to make a U-Turn decided to go into the right lane and put his blinker on and cut right in front of me. With him doing 5mph and me doing 60 I had to throw the car right to avoid. There was not enough time to think as it was a kneejerk reaction. I turned right on to wet grass and slammed the breaks knowing that the anti-lock breaks would give me steering. The wet grass on the other hand prevented my execution. I hit a pole that I was told was power but I think it was a cable line. After a check at the hospital, the verdict is that I am going to me more sore than I am today and tomorrow I should not be too happy. Lower back does not feel great and my knees hurt.

I could not believe how violent the airbag deployment was. It is impossible to describe other than saying it was like an M-80 going off 3 feet in front of your face. It was hot was an understatement. In times like that I usually see things in slow motion, with my first accident with my CRV I realized that a hit was inevitable and I could not do anything about it. In the last second I pulled my hands and feet from the steering wheel and the pedals to keep from breaking my wrists and ankles in the process. It worked well. With this accident things did not slow down, I did not pull away from the controls as I practiced in my mind 1000 times before. I was prepared but did not execute as I just could not seem to believe that I could not get out of the situation. On impact I was out of the car in about 10 seconds and was looking at the pole with the wire across the road. I turned to the on coming cars and waved them out of the slow lane as not to hit the wire down in the road. A few seconds later I looked for the other Jaggoff that jumped in front of me but he was nowhere to be seen. It was Mid-sized and grey like a Camry but not. Could have been Lexus or Nissan?

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/smugshot5360985/1012820384_DeZEe-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/smugshot8105202/1012820494_KMRJf-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/smugshot7304837/1012820714_kimLt-L.jpg

Canon 7D / Canon 40D / Opteka 6.5mm / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300VC
WWW.LongIslandWallpape​rs.com (external link)

sponsored links
mpixs
82 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 18, 2010 20:45 |  #2

THAT SUCKS GUY HOPE YOUR OK !!!!!! LOOKS LIKE IT WAS OUT BY JONE'S BEACH HAD AN OLD MAN ALMOST TAKE ME OUT OVER THERE ONE MORRING

mpixs
my camera is like my american express card i never leive home with out it !!!!! :)

4 ace's photography

jimz66
999 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 18, 2010 20:57 |  #3

Ow man. I know how scary an accident can be. I have been in two of them. I hope your okay and I hope they catch the DRSOB that caused this situation. Hey the only condolence I can give you is that your alive and breathing. Take it easy. At least your in one piece.

Canon T3 base kit with 18-55 MM Kit lens plus EOS 75 to 300 Lens

SilentShutter
432 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 18, 2010 20:58 |  #4

Wow! Glad your ok, well for the most part. 2 days before Christmas this past year, my car did a 180 right as I was merging onto the highway. Luckaly the guy in the SUV was paying attention, cuz he would've hit my drivers door at 65mph+, did alot of damage, but was able to drive away.

SideNote - I've never seen an airbag down by your feet. That's something new to me (unless it's something else)

Canon PowerShot SX40HS
Steady hands, an open eye, and a (hopefully) empty SD card
My flickr page (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 18, 2010 23:09 |  #5

I'm sorry to see that & glad you made it through with just bruises.

...my car did a 180 right as I was merging onto the highway.

I had a guy do that in front of me merging onto the e-way. We were doing 80, it was raining, the dufus had slicks on & he punched it to try to get up to speed. Luckily he slid into the ditch. :D

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

optiklenz13
583 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 18, 2010 23:12 |  #6

I'm glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced.

I feel your pain, I remember when I crashed my car too, two years ago. Not a wonderful experience.

www.optiklenz13.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II with BG-E6, Canon 7D with BG-E7, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, 580 EX II.
Walkaround: Fujifilm X-PRO1, 35mm f/1.4 combo.

Derf
THREAD ­ STARTER
604 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 22, 2010 15:32 as a reply to  @ optiklenz13's post |  #7

Thanks guys

I got pictures because I was waiting for the Police for 15-20 minutes! I could not believe how long it took being live wires in the road and a pole down!

I found out today the my car is totaled. This was my first new car and I loved Betsy sooo much.

here are some pictures of her in better days!

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/IMG343312/247133976_MNg2m-L-3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/IMG5734/254704639_i49Hi-L-3.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/PRIVATE/Family/My-new-Camry/IMG6898/291569266_3w9QV-L-3.jpg

I miss my car

Canon 7D / Canon 40D / Opteka 6.5mm / Sigma 18-35 1.8 / Canon 50mm 1.4 / Canon 50mm 1.8 / Tamron 28-75 2.8 / Tamron 70-300VC
WWW.LongIslandWallpape​rs.com (external link)

DaleP
Goldmember
1,509 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 22, 2010 15:48 |  #8

Bummer about the car! That's the major drawback of ABS...it actually prevents the car from slowing down in certain situations (wet grass, gravel, etc). The abs system senses a lack of wheel rotation and backs off the braking force to compensate, but as the ground is still not providing grip to allow the wheels to turn, the ABS backs off the braking force more and more.

Currently just a P&S, but watch this space.

Knockout05
625 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 22, 2010 16:26 |  #9

I cant tell you how many times people have swerved infront of me with out using their blinker I honk my horn and give the finger and they get mad at me! One guy i swear was about to pop a blood vessel in his head he was so pissed at me when Im the one that had to come to a screaching hault because he wasnt using his blinker and i was going a good bit faster than he was when he switched lanes. People are idiots.

flickr (external link)http://tydeephotograph​y.com/forum/index.php (external link)

christian8a
83 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2010 18:20 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

wow, well at least you got the pics

My sales feedback 8-)
(1)Canon 85mm f/1.2L II - (2)Kata Camera Case - (3)Canon 40D - (4)Canon 10-22mm Wide Angle - (5)Canon RC-6 controller - (6)17" Macbook Pro

NeoTokyo
Goldmember
2,005 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 23, 2010 03:33 |  #11

At least your ok and with pics. :)

Check out my flickr! http://www.flickr.com/​photos/crainracing/ (external link)

dinny66
695 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 23, 2010 04:20 |  #12

Sorry to see you smash, glad you're OK.
My standard procedure in such scenarios is simple "If I'm going, you're coming too". Harsh I know.

Mike

UK_Tomcat_Fan
Goldmember
1,343 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 23:22 |  #13

Glad that your ok :)

liking the image of the car pulling AJ101 :D

Martin | GearList | Website: My photography (external link)
POTN Resident Jolly Roger / Super bug hater!

lambocars
323 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2010 03:15 |  #14

I know those airbags can cause some burn marks on your face and you wouldn't be the first to have ear damage because of them.

Fortunately you were able to get out and walk away ... that's the positive side of this.

dinny66 wrote in post #10961863 (external link)
My standard procedure in such scenarios is simple "If I'm going, you're coming too". Harsh I know.

I always say that too, but in that split second you still react by trying to avoid a 'hit' anyway ... human nature probably.

Mark

My tutorials (external link) - my hobby (external link) - my scale cars (external link) - [URL="http://www.diseg​no-s.be/"]my Photographs (external link)

VorteC
550 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 25, 2010 13:21 |  #15

You HDR'd accident photos? That is hardcore dude.

ELAN SHI | PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)
Automotive / Weddings / Industrial / Corporate
PLEASE LIKE MY FACEBOOK PHOTOGRAPHY FAN PAGE!
ELAN SHI PHOTOGRAPHY ON FACEBOOK (external link)

sponsored links

4,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
I crashed my car today
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.