Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Sep 2010 (Friday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are photographers condescending?

HPADON
148 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 16:09 |  #31

gonzogolf wrote in post #10972059 (external link)
Remember the old saying. 1 in 10 people is an A**hole, if you are in a group and you cant pick him out, it might be you...

Wow, I'm not quite sure how to take that.... :)

Don

sponsored links
HPADON
148 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 16:12 as a reply to  @ HPADON's post |  #32

Well, I've enjoyed the conversation guys! Gotta head to the hacienda for the day. Have a great weekend.

Don

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,187 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 24, 2010 16:14 |  #33

HPADON wrote in post #10972070 (external link)
Wow, I'm not quite sure how to take that.... :)

Just a joke.

HPADON
148 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2010 16:15 |  #34

gonzogolf wrote in post #10972091 (external link)
Just a joke.

I know.

L8R

Don

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 24, 2010 16:24 |  #35

I think this is a common problem found on any forum.
Lack of face to face conversation leeds some to be a little bolder in their opinions.
Generally speaking it can be difficult to tell a persons intent in these short posts. Subtle hints to humor and other expressions are almost totally lost.
This is why we have the emocons (sp?) :cool:

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

John ­ the ­ Geek
911 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 24, 2010 16:38 as a reply to  @ Jimconnerphoto's post |  #36

You can say anything you want, as long as you follow it with an emoticon.

What is that, a point-and-poop camera? ;-)a

See. Everything is better with emoticons.

Seriously though, it's so hard to judge someone's tone when you can't hear their voice. We put our own inner dialog to the text and probably interpret it wrong most situations. Sometimes it starts an argument.

=)
-John

Canon Gear: 7D Gripped :: 16-35mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L :: 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II :: 28mm ƒ/1.8 :: 50mm ƒ/1.4 :: 85mm ƒ/1.8 :: 200mm ƒ/2.8L II :: 180mm ƒ/3.5L Macro :: Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II :: Speedlites 430EX II (x2) and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite
www.focalmagic.com (external link) (Under construction)

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 24, 2010 16:45 as a reply to  @ John the Geek's post |  #37

I'll be the first to admit, I'm very condescending. :rolleyes:

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title
5,472 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 24, 2010 17:12 as a reply to  @ post 10972350 |  #38

Don't have time to quibble over something like this......

I have some important photographs to take.....

No :cool: ;) :rolleyes: :mad: 's

Chris
Creative Tools / ZENFOLIO (external link)
Someone stole all of my photography equipment and replaced it with exact duplicates.

freaking102
412 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 25, 2010 01:20 |  #39

cnhoffma wrote in post #10970866 (external link)
I know that this forum is filled with many talented professionals and amateurs who shooting a greatly varying selection of subjects and styles. It would seem nearly impossible to find a common trait among so many different people. However, there is one thing that has bothered me. On this forum and IRL, I've met several different photographers and I have noticed one generalization. Far too often, photographers have a condescending attitude, whether it's to a layman or to a fellow photographer. I'm probably guilty of this too, but I'm trying to be aware about it. I've realized that if I want to succeed I need to sell myself as well as my work.

I'm just wondering, has anyone else noticed this about other photographers? Are there any other common or general traits that you've noticed about photographers? Do you think some photographers are giving other photographers a bad name? Let me know your thoughts.

well, if you are just a photographer, you probably have an inferiority complex and carry a chip on your shoulder. some of these photographers compensate by putting on airs.  :p

MrWho
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2010 03:40 |  #40

GIDT :)

It's hard to genuinely be nice to someone or offer help in the nicest way you can without meeting with someone face to face. Text is the worst medium to convey just about anything except clear cut, down to the point, emotionless messages.

Gear

2ndAllin
56 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 25, 2010 06:34 |  #41

There are two things I can't tolerate:

People who are intolerant of other people's opinions--and Nikon shooters.

(BTW--I stole that paraphrase from a movie. Bonus points if you can guess which one.)

mikekelley wrote in post #10971042 (external link)
Gear heads are condescending, photographers are not

http://www.lodgetrail.​com/portfolio (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2010 08:08 |  #42

gonzogolf wrote in post #10972059 (external link)
Remember the old saying. 1 in 10 people is an A**hole, if you are in a group and you cant pick him out, it might be you...

***the old coot starts looking around and counting people*** 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...aw crap.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

Overread
Goldmember
2,195 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 25, 2010 08:20 |  #43

Photographers are fine, upstanding members of the community - often quite jolly and good natured..

its the artists you have to watch out for ;)

IMAGE: http://www.whattheduck.net/sites/default/files/WTD1055.gif

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 25, 2010 09:06 |  #44

MrWho wrote in post #10974771 (external link)
GIDT :)

It's hard to genuinely be nice to someone or offer help in the nicest way you can without meeting with someone face to face. Text is the worst medium to convey just about anything except clear cut, down to the point, emotionless messages.

You do have to be careful with it. Most of my conversations are via SMS and the delete button is the most heavily used.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

chumleyk
75 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 25, 2010 10:49 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #45

I think the helpfulness or rudeness of most photographers (or people in general) is not noteworthy enough to leave a lasting impression. They are polite, they give a sufficient answer to the question, and then they go on their way. It's the people at either extreme that stick out. The extremely rude, condescending people leave a lasting negative impression and the extremely helpful people leave a lasting positive impression. I think it's probably human nature to take more note of the negative - isn't that why we have such sensationalist stories on the news?

~Kristin
5D Mk II
Rebel XTi

sponsored links

9,529 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are photographers condescending?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.