Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 24 Sep 2010 (Friday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

USA Cycling Collegiate National Track Cycling Championships

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 24, 2010 13:43 |  #1

Some cyclists traveled hundreds of miles to participate in this national championship event, but one of the best teams came from just down the road from this velodrome, barely one mile away.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

sponsored links
Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 24, 2010 17:43 |  #2

Nice. I was really surprised to see the budget that some of these colleges (universities?) have for cycling teams. (I was at the road champs) They have BIG team buses, towing BIG trailers. Amazing.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 24, 2010 23:17 |  #3

Biffbradford wrote in post #10972586 (external link)
Nice. I was really surprised to see the budget that some of these colleges (universities?) have for cycling teams. (I was at the road champs) They have BIG team buses, towing BIG trailers. Amazing.

Judging by the jerseys, it looks like they are all significantly sponsored. Seems odd for a college sport.

Nice shots!

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2010 23:26 |  #4

The motion blur is great on these.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 24, 2010 23:55 |  #5

BenJohnson wrote in post #10974051 (external link)
Judging by the jerseys, it looks like they are all significantly sponsored. Seems odd for a college sport.

Nice shots!

It's not odd when you think about how much money the college probably gives them. Now some of these teams are an exception to that, but I have a friend who's gone to Junior CX worlds twice now and he's at U of A and they basically don't know anything about his riding abilities.

And yeah, nice shots!

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

BenJohnson
Goldmember
1,811 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2010 00:23 |  #6

theextremist04 wrote in post #10974200 (external link)
It's not odd when you think about how much money the college probably gives them.

Money the college gives who?

I was just making the point that NCAA athletes cannot take sponsorships, but these programs obviously can. I'm sure it takes a lot of the financial burden off of the school.

|Ben Johnson Photography (external link)|
|Gear List|

llie19
727 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 25, 2010 00:49 |  #7

excellent. the shooting angle are great too. what's with the shoe in the first one?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/apolitical/ (external link)

yagimax
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 25, 2010 03:40 as a reply to  @ llie19's post |  #8

Excellent panning for nice sharp pics!

Sony A7RII, FE16-35, FE35 2.8, FE90 macro

X-images
816 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 25, 2010 03:53 |  #9

llie19 wrote in post #10974357 (external link)
excellent. the shooting angle are great too. what's with the shoe in the first one?

He's just got aero shoe covers on... Nothing unusual about that.

- Adrian
Flickr (external link)
| www.adrianrumney.com (external link) | Follow on Facebook (external link)| Follow on Twitter (external link)

theextremist04
Goldmember
1,224 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2010 08:47 |  #10

BenJohnson wrote in post #10974300 (external link)
Money the college gives who?

I was just making the point that NCAA athletes cannot take sponsorships, but these programs obviously can. I'm sure it takes a lot of the financial burden off of the school.

I meant the cycling teams. I would think most schools would balk at the cost of providing bikes and kit for a full cycling team.

-Michael
Gear - Flickr (external link) - Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 26, 2010 11:03 |  #11

GREAT panning technique! these are awesome shots.

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 26, 2010 11:41 |  #12

I wonder what the rules are for collegiate sponsorship on their clothing. I see that the kits worn here have one company name only. I'm certainly no expert, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that some colleges like Lees-McRae and Marian (Indiana) give full cycling scholarships - and they have GREAT riders riding on their teams. Lindsey-Williams (LWC) has a full cycling program as well. Big powerhouse school.

Second pic here shows a rider from Fort Lewis College out of Colorado, here's their trailer:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

The University of Wisconsin has a cycling team out of Madison, but they don't have a trailer!

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

wyofizz
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 26, 2010 12:45 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #13

Great job on #2 :)

Dave - Fuzzy Hashing makes me itch.

DC ­ Fan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 27, 2010 11:33 |  #14

llie19 wrote in post #10974357 (external link)
excellent. the shooting angle are great too.

This velodrome was a great place for photography. Rather than being restricted to a grandstand, you could place yourself on a paved walkway that surrounds the track and get as close as common sense allowed. The close location meant for very good angles and distances. A laid-back and uncrowded atmosphere also helped.

As for the panning motion blur, 1/50-1/60 second worked well. That technique was reserved for the nine-lap team pursuit events because those races offered multiple attempts to get one decent shot.

DHMN
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 27, 2010 11:37 |  #15

Cycling isn't a sanctioned NCAA sport, so it doesn't fall under the same rules that NCAA athletes do as far as sponsorship goes..

EOS 7D Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (1.4 extender outdoors) are the workhorses. 50D for backup, EF 70-300MM USM f/4-5.6 IS, Freelance photographer for local newspapers and my website viewthroughmylens.net (external link)

sponsored links

4,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
USA Cycling Collegiate National Track Cycling Championships
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.