Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Sep 2010 (Saturday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So where do I go from here?

AprilArchambeau
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2010 14:47 |  #1

---------

www.AprilArchambeauPho​tography.com (external link)

5D l Calumet Genesis 400 light kit (2) l 430EX II l 50mm 1.8 l 70-200 f/4L IS l 85mm 1.8 coming soon!

sponsored links
J ­ Michael
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 25, 2010 19:19 |  #2

1. Do some stories on your own and then try to sell them. If you don't sell them you have created a stronger portfolio.

2. Contact activist groups that are working on causes close to you (that you support), e.g. miners' rights, mining pollution, etc. and see if you can get assignments documenting what they are doing or gathering photographic evidence.

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 25, 2010 20:51 |  #3

There isn't a large market for photojournalists, and it is getting even smaller. You may want to check with any local magazines; they may need certain events covered.

You can also shoot projects of your own and try to sell them to publishers, but many publications only accept stories like those from certain sources. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

You can also try Demotix (external link), but I don't think they actively sell images. Check out Lightstalkers (external link) as well.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

AprilArchambeau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 26, 2010 13:46 |  #4

---------

5D l Calumet Genesis 400 light kit (2) l 430EX II l 50mm 1.8 l 70-200 f/4L IS l 85mm 1.8 coming soon!

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 27, 2010 02:06 |  #5

The problem with day-to-day PJ work is that the world and its dog have got camera phones / compacts / slr and even though the quality may not be great they are flooding the magazines with images that get published.

I've lost count of the number of grainy, badly composed images that I've seen in the national press.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2010 02:23 |  #6

AprilArchambeau wrote in post #10981218 (external link)
Thanks guys :). Yea unfortunately I keep hearing this is a dying part of Photography for some reason. I just cannot believe I find it fun compared to what I heard before I started, but I really do like it! I will check around though thanks for the advice :)

I had fun doing it too. I wasn't on critical deadlines though, and I suspect that's where it gets truly demanding.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

AprilArchambeau
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 27, 2010 10:42 |  #7

Yea so far the deadlines aren't too bad, normally I have an assignment at 5pm and I get home at 6 and need them in by 9, but the other night I had a game from 7-8:30 and I had to drive home and have them sent by 9, still wasn't too bad, it was fun though :)

sponsored links

1,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
So where do I go from here?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.