Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 09:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Candid at a Farmers' Market

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 27, 2010 09:25 |  #1

I'm in the process of developing marketable photo skills, with the modest view of paying for my gear. I do some street candids of people at their best, for the purpose of handing out my business card. The one attached seems to have the impact that I am looking for. Hand held. Regardless of the EXIF, my recollection is that I used fill flash with a home made bounce card. Some PP with a hardware calibrated monitor. Your comments would be much appreciated, including how the exposure and colors look on your monitor. After all, I'm interested in producing what others wish to see.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

sponsored links
droberts
260 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2010 13:32 |  #2

IMO...your DOF is off. For candids I like to see the invironment around the subjects to get the full story of why they are there and what they are doing.

Canon Stuff...

telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 27, 2010 13:46 |  #3

i stared at this photo for a good 3 or 4 minutes...

im not sure what its trying to say, is it supposed to be artistic? telling a story?

i dont think its interesting enough to catch peoples attention.

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2010 20:40 |  #4

I agree with telephoto. Just seems like a paparizi shot that would be in US Magazine or something. Except the people aren't famous.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i207.photobucke​t.com …man6484/Smileys​/shrug.gif (external link)

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

plexica
20 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2010 02:22 |  #5

Viewing in Safari browser on a 14" Dell monitor attached to a MiniMac, the colors are fine, but somewhat washed out highlights, on her hair and his hand for example. The image is too long for me to see all at once, I have to scroll to get it, the bg appears of no interest and becomes a little too complicated for not adding anything except really odd looking grass and a fuzzy window (the house, I presume). I could do without it completely but of course that takes extra PP to do. I find these faces interesting, maybe crotchety. It's hard to visualize this as a selling photo for your skills except to the people in the picture. As to seeing it on the net, get some friends to bring it up in other browsers.

Meanderthal
THREAD ­ STARTER
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 28, 2010 18:58 |  #6

Valuable comments all, thank you. droberts, I will pay more attention to getting the appropriate sharpness/clarity, to suit the subject and the mood. To all, esp. plexica: the intended subject is the emotion between the two people. The background is just a roadside and a shed, worse than boring. I considered showing the product the two were selling, but thought that this would have distracted from the stated objective. Selling the photo to third parties was not my intention. My hope is that, when I deliver a print to the two, they will say that this is their best picture ever of themselves. In my small community, that may be sufficient to get others interested, through word of mouth.

Re the crotchety faces: This is what real persons look like in my market area - or even more worn by time and life. My guess is that Beautiful People all dolled up would only scare off my potential customers.

I have asked my friends to assess the colors etc., but find their replies based more on their personal tastes than on the technical merits of the image. POTN members have better judgment.

I continue to seek your advice, in the light of my perhaps unusual setting and modest ambitions.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

slewi
75 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 28, 2010 22:13 as a reply to  @ Meanderthal's post |  #7

The first thing that gets me are the blown out highlights all around the ladies head. Next is the DOF. Try this with a smaller aperture, allowing us to see the subjects environment. That would make all the difference.

Canon 5d MKII, 50D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50mm 1.4, 580 EXII, 430 EX.

sponsored links

1,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
Candid at a Farmers' Market
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.