Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Sep 2010 (Monday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do # of actuations matter when buying a used camera (7D in mind)?

applecat
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2010 14:10 |  #1

I'm considering buying a used 7D from an acquaintance who shoots A LOT of sports photos. I haven't asked how many shots he's taken with it but my guess is that it may have upwards of 75,000. He has had it about a year and shoots almost every school sport at our high school.

He has had several inquiries to his post over the last 3 weeks but yet it is still available. Is there a red flag I should watch for?

I currently have the 50D and now may be the time to sell it.

Thanks,

sponsored links
Jigglypuff
101 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2010 14:19 |  #2

In a nutshell, yes.

The 7D is rated at 150,000 actuations, so theoretically your friend's shutter is at its halfway mark. However, there's dozens of people (including myself) who'll tell you that the shutter can fail anytime before or after 150,000 actuations. If it's a good price, I say just go for it and don't look back.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 27, 2010 14:20 |  #3

Not really, until you get into the really large numbers. Clearly there is wear and tear with each shutter actuation but there is no way to judge when a shutter, mirror, or any other moving mechanism will give out. But like with most things, when there are bodies for sale out there with several thousand actuations and others with tens of thousands of actuations, one has to ask if getting a high mileage body is worth the cost. I would expect that the high shutter count body is much less expensive than a comparable one with many fewer actuations.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,926 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 27, 2010 14:21 |  #4

Personally, unless the price is dirt cheap (which may cover a blown shutter, repair ~$300), I would opt for a refurbished 7D instead from a reputable dealer, or get a new one.

I'm sure if you were to buy the used unit with 75k actuations, chances are very good (perhaps 99%) that it'll continue to function like a champ. But if you have bad luck and gets hit by that 1% that it fails prematurely, all repair cost is out-of-pocket expense to you. Same goes with refurbs but at least someone at the factory/service center supposedly has gone through it.

Good luck, whatever decision you make.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

matonanjin
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 27, 2010 14:26 |  #5

Of course it does. Just like miles on a car matter. It is a indicator of amount of use. As he said above, the 7D is rated at 150,000. So if you don't use it day to day for pro use you should have a lot of years of enjoyment.

You might do a search in the "For Sale" forum to get comparable pricing.

My Web Site (external link)

My Equine Photography Blog (external link)
My Stuff and Feedback

huntersdad
Goldmember
4,845 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 27, 2010 15:37 as a reply to  @ matonanjin's post |  #6

Tell us what he's asking for it.

If he's anywhere near new price, then he has it overpriced. In my opinion, being a 1 year old camera (meaning he bought it new when it was released) and having that many actuations on it, I wouldn't pay more than $900 for it, and probably not that much.

Here's why: you buy it for $900 with 75k on the shutter. At 100k, shutter fails and has to be replaced to the tune of $300. You now have $1200 in a camera with 100k on everything but the shutter. Had you used that same $1200, you could have come close to new and have a camera with 25k on the shutter.

Your thoughts may vary but this is how I look at things.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

Airedale1
Cream of the Crop
6,021 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 27, 2010 16:19 |  #7

Welcome to the forum! And as stated above, just think of the number of actuations as you would miles on a car's engine. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's a pretty damn good one.:cool:

Sony RX10 M4
Canon S90

applecat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2010 17:20 |  #8

Thank you all for the quick replies. I am waiting on answers from the seller. I estimate that I take about 18-20,000 shots per year. (BTW, is there an "odometer" to track the total lifetime clicks - or does it just turn over every 999?). It didn't jump out at me from the manual.

I did have a problem with my 50D (under warranty, thankfully), and I had to send it in to have the PCB assembly replaced. So I have had a repair experience already (isn't it just one per person allowed in their lifetime??).

I'll close the loop with you when I get the info. You've given me great advice!

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2010 04:17 |  #9

The reason a used "anything", in this case a camera is cheaper than a new item is because...it is used.
A shutter will let go at any time - be it a brand new camera or s/h one.
This could be at 5000 or 250000 or anywhere in between or even more.
The figure you quoted is simply the mean number of actuations before failure and more cameras than not suffer shutter failure beyond the mean number.
I've replaced three shutters - two in a 10D at about 160-180k and the second at about 120k.
The 10D is rated at about 100k.
The third shutter was in my 1D MkII at 187737. It is rated at 200k - and it has since done another 60k since February 2010 on the new shutter.
I'm more than happy with those numbers, however I have heard of 1DMkII's lasting til 300k, but it's a mechanical component and they wear out at some stage.
Just when that happens, who knows.
Would I buy a year old 7D with 75k on it - absolutely, however it would depend on the price.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

applecat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 28, 2010 18:56 as a reply to  @ philwillmedia's post |  #10

Good news! I spoke with my acquaintance today and found out that the 7D he is selling has only 10,000 actuations on it. He primarily uses the 1D and bought the 7D to have something a bit smaller on some outings and to try the video mode.

He is asking $1250 which seems to be a fair price from what I have seen on other selling sites. Any comments from the group on the price? What makes me very comfortable in buying a used camera from him is I know how he treats his equipment and his excellent character.

A question remains - is the only way to find out the number of total actuations on the camera by having the factory look at it?

I thank you for your advice and having a forum like this to learn.

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 28, 2010 19:02 |  #11

I believe that is a fair price.

Jason

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,431 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2010 20:29 |  #12

applecat wrote in post #10996639 (external link)
Good news! I spoke with my acquaintance today and found out that the 7D he is selling has only 10,000 actuations on it. He primarily uses the 1D and bought the 7D to have something a bit smaller on some outings and to try the video mode.

He is asking $1250 which seems to be a fair price from what I have seen on other selling sites.

You got me thinking on this ...

Another $250 and you get a brand new one with a full year of warranty.

Seems to me, you are one 'out of pocket' repair from a new one.

Just something you might want to consider.

What is a year of no worry warranty worth?

EDIT: Maybe I am wrong - I just checked Ebay and dang - I can sell the one I just bought ( I paid $1,000 - less than 6,000 clicks ) and make money on it. People are paying stupid money for 7D bodies on Ebay ( $1200-$1450 - USED )

sunking39
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 28, 2010 20:33 |  #13

applecat wrote in post #10996639 (external link)
A question remains - is the only way to find out the number of total actuations on the camera by having the factory look at it?

EDIT: There is no actuation finder program compatible with the 7D, no.

Chris
Goldmember
4,128 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2010 21:04 |  #14

sunking39 wrote in post #10997141 (external link)
There is a program you can download. Do a search on it.

There is no program for the 7D.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

TCOMC
225 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 28, 2010 21:29 |  #15

harcosparky wrote in post #10997119 (external link)
EDIT: Maybe I am wrong - I just checked Ebay and dang - I can sell the one I just bought ( I paid $1,000 - less than 6,000 clicks ) and make money on it. People are paying stupid money for 7D bodies on Ebay ( $1200-$1450 - USED )

PM me where you bought it for such a price? :)

sponsored links

6,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do # of actuations matter when buying a used camera (7D in mind)?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.