Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 17 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 21:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,577 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2010 05:49 |  #1456

RonnieP wrote in post #10992303 (external link)
This is very helpful review and thank you. I am just hesitating before purchasing a "Gitzo" tripod and consider this combination. To travel light is important for me, but I will also use it as a main tripod at home. Thus, it should be multi tasking. Reviews in "B&H" recommenss this tripod for all uses. Understood there is a compromise and a "price". I will appreciate more thoughts on that.
What will be your advice comparing this combination to Gitzo GT2541 Mountaineer (with the same ball head).
Thank you
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie - I just pulled the trigger on the Markins Q3T head to go with the 1541T legs I just purchased at the local store. Like you, travelling light is paramount to me.

Actually being able to handle the Gitzo legs convinced me on the purchase: extremely lightweight, excellent fit and finish, very tight and rigid legs (although I agree that last segment is deceptively narrow) and good design. I do have a second older and much heavier Bogen tripod at home that gets used in the church for weddings and other "nearby" setups.

My goal though was to get something super light for the trail, under 4 lbs in total. That's why I chose the 1541T - nothing at all against the Feissol products as many here love them, enjoy good use with them, and the price is certainly quite attractive. With the Markins head I will be about an ounce or so over three pounds. That will go out on the trail with me for sure ;). The head should arrive early next week. If the Gitzo was my only tripod, I may have considered a heavier model.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
MikeV99
251 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 28, 2010 08:10 |  #1457

This is very helpful review and thank you. I am just hesitating before purchasing a "Gitzo" tripod and consider this combination. To travel light is important for me, but I will also use it as a main tripod at home. Thus, it should be multi tasking. Reviews in "B&H" recommenss this tripod for all uses. Understood there is a compromise and a "price". I will appreciate more thoughts on that.
What will be your advice comparing this combination to Gitzo GT2541 Mountaineer (with the same ball head).
Thank you
Ronnie

FWIW, the 1541 or 1541T is hard to beat for a very lightweight and compact travel setup. However, as I moved to larger prime glass, I found I needed something stronger. I had a GT2531 (just sold it) and it was much more stable. However, after using it with the larger glass and a gimbal I decided to go with something that was rated for heavier loads. I now have a GT3531 and it is much more stable with heavier loads. BTW, it you are thinking about the GT2541, do compare it with the GT2531 and GT3531. The 3 series is not that much larger or heavier but is rated at a larger load. Also, IMHO, I think the 3 section offers just a bit more stability in a heavy wind.

Mike

-- Mike -- The older the boy, the bigger and costlier the toys!

:) My Gear List :)

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2010 08:24 |  #1458

To travel light is important for me, but I will also use it as a main tripod at home. Thus, it should be multi tasking. Reviews in "B&H" recommenss this tripod for all uses. Understood there is a compromise and a "price". I will appreciate more thoughts on that.

Ronnie I have a G1228 which is the predecessor of the 2541 prior to the advent of the 6x carbon fiber models at Gitzo. It's a wee bit heavier and longer than the 2541 but I never took it on a trip - too awkward. It wasn't really the weight, it was the folded size. The 2541 is only 3 lbs in weight but it's 22 inches folded, so probably you need to pack it in checked luggage. I take my 1541T plus ballhead in my carry-on with no problems.

The performance of the 1541T is really quite phenomenal, you have to take these max load specs with a pinch of salt but are you going to be using a 200mm lens at home? My experience has been that the 1541T has replaced my G1228 completely up to and including a heavy all-metal medium format film camera I use. I'm inclined to the 1541T but what equipment are you using? Longer/heavier glass in particular may require a stronger spec.

~Peter

thegaijin
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 03, 2010 03:37 |  #1459

Everything has arrived, and all's left to do is hide it from my wife until I can honestly say "what? the tripod? I've had that thing for months now darling..."

Markins Q3 w. lever clamp + RRS L-Plate + Gitzo GT1541 Didn't come cheap, but jeez does it feel sturdy. I wanted a set-up to take hiking, and this will do the business.

Gitzo have a cash back deal at the moment in Japan. The catch is that you have to return a 100cm (min height) to them. PITA, but $115 will be most welcome.
The Q3 lever takes a bit of adjusting to fit the RRS L-Plate, but just a matter of adjusting the lever-distance screw.

A question - what (if anything) have you Gitzo owners used the grease for?

Tokyo (external link) ___ Gear (external link)___ Flickr (external link)

kaigraphy
175 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 03, 2010 04:25 |  #1460

ben_r_ wrote in post #10970612 (external link)
Wow, thats a lot of sections! Def does look more like a 1551T... I hope that isnt a REPLACEMENT for the 1541T!

It looks really weird! The center column is longer than the first leg section! How would it look folded up?!

QUOTED IMAGE

I hope its the taller version of the 1541T...it seem to be more expensive as well @ USD$ 751.10
http://www.gitzo.us …R.1_6X_TRAVELER​_4S_G-LOCK (external link)

GT1541T
USD$ 667.00

Doles not seem to be release yet...can't wait for the spec and review...

I'm weird - I love my 5D Mark II:D, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II8-), Sigmalux 50mm 1.4, Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + Manfrotto 804RC2, Gitzo GM3551 + Manfrotto 486RC2

czeglin
560 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2010 10:11 |  #1461

kaigraphy wrote in post #11024121 (external link)
I hope its the taller version of the 1541T...it seem to be more expensive as well @ USD$ 751.10
http://www.gitzo.us …R.1_6X_TRAVELER​_4S_G-LOCK (external link)

GT1541T
USD$ 667.00

Doles not seem to be release yet...can't wait for the spec and review...

1551T has 5 leg sections
1541T has 4 leg sections

Flickr (external link) | Gear & Feedback | DIY Padded Insert

seb87
35 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2010 03:12 |  #1462

i'm going to buy this tripod with the q3t

anywone knows where's the best pale to buy it in europe ? ( i'm italian )

peter_n
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 19, 2010 08:27 |  #1463

I don't know if their prices are competitive, but I've bought from Photo Pro Shop (external link) in Germany and their customer service is excellent. They have both the Gitzo 1541T and Markins Q3T currently in stock. Click on "Magica" on the home page.

~Peter

mayuka
245 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 08:43 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #1464

Here a comparision of the GT1541T and the new? GT1542T

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2010 11:35 |  #1465

Wow, thanks for posting that! Looks like the 1542T gets you 9 extra centimeters of height, but at the cost of 1kg of load capacity and not as low a min height. I dont know, the two seem pretty equal to me. I wonder how the prices will compare. Might be a good time to start snagging up the 1541T legs before all the stock is replaced with the newer 1542T...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 19, 2010 11:42 |  #1466

. . . and a little bigger both collapsed and at minimum height. Looks like most of the height gain at maximum extension is due to a longer center column. It's only 3.5 (less than 1-1/2") cm taller when you use it column down; it's 4.5 cm (almost 2" further off the ground at minimum height. Given the decrease in load capacity it sounds like they lengthened the legs a bit more than might be desirable.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 19, 2010 11:45 |  #1467

Jon wrote in post #11125795 (external link)
. . . and a little bigger both collapsed and at minimum height. Looks like most of the height gain at maximum extension is due to a longer center column. It's only 3.5 (less than 1-1/2") cm taller when you use it column down; it's 4.5 cm (almost 2" further off the ground at minimum height. Given the decrease in load capacity it sounds like they lengthened the legs a bit more than might be desirable.

I know, thats what I was kinda thinking... Thats why I said it might be better to scoop up the 1541T before all you can get is this newer 1542T (which I imagine is going to become the replacement).

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 19, 2010 12:28 |  #1468

Yep. Glad I have the 1541T too . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

kaigraphy
175 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 19, 2010 13:23 |  #1469

I need the extra height but its still seem a bit too short :(
however I have the 190CXPRO4 that which is shorter than this...the 190CXPRO4 + the head is just a ok height but I guess I just have to bend down a bit...overall I prefer the new version due to its increase height of cause its at the expense of weight and dimension...

I'm weird - I love my 5D Mark II:D, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II8-), Sigmalux 50mm 1.4, Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 + Manfrotto 804RC2, Gitzo GM3551 + Manfrotto 486RC2

mayuka
245 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 19, 2010 13:26 |  #1470

ben_r_ wrote in post #11125767 (external link)
Wow, thanks for posting that! Looks like the 1542T gets you 9 extra centimeters of height, but at the cost of 1kg of load capacity and not as low a min height. I dont know, the two seem pretty equal to me. I wonder how the prices will compare. Might be a good time to start snagging up the 1541T legs before all the stock is replaced with the newer 1542T...

Well let's see... At the moment no shop has even heard of the 2nd incarnation... I've got the information right from the Gitzo site. Nothing more.

But I'm wondering which one I should sell. The GT1550T or the GT1541T... :) I own both but I really need only one. Both are great.

sponsored links

665,793 views & 1 like for this thread
Review: Gitzo 1541T Tripod, Markins Q3T Ballhead w/ RRS B2 LR II Clamp
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.