Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

That Was a First

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 26, 2010 12:53 |  #1

I thought you guys would appreciate this "Oh Crap!" moment from yesterday.
<br>
The minister started the ceremony... without the Bride! The videographers and I were looking at each other like "WTF" We all had our gear trained on the back where the bride was coming down (except my assistant who was on the groom) and suddenly the minister is saying a prayer and asking the reader to come up and start reading. The poor DJ was confused, too, since he'd started the music already and didn't know whether to stop it or keep going.
<br>
Then the bride gets there and it's seriously a 90 second ceremony. After capturing everyone walking down the aisle I went up to the top of the ceremony site to get the full shot of the guests and ceremony from the back while my assistant was getting close ups and suddenly the minister is announcing them man and wife and telling them to kiss. I got it but from WAY back, my assistant missed it, and both of the videographers missed it. There was a lot more to the ceremony that was just left out and what was left in went REALLY fast.
<br>
Luckily the upset bride (who handled it very well and with much grace) thought it was a great idea when we all suggested we re-create it a bit. The minister was long gone so we just removed the podium and I got my shots of the wedding party and we recreated the kiss. But seriously, craziest wedding ceremony I've ever attended. Though I think the guests appreciate the 90 second ceremony since it was HOT in Orange County yesterday. But the bride was upset that she missed her own wedding ceremony.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links
PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 26, 2010 12:54 |  #2

Uh... OK. This was broken up into 4 paragraphs but POTN isn't showing it for me nor will it allow me to edit. Sorry for the giant wall of text!

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 26, 2010 14:47 |  #3

Looks like you did your level best to salvage the day for the bride. Good for you. And shame on that minister.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 26, 2010 15:54 |  #4

Amazing.

I've heard officals getting their names wrong. Once, he neglected to tell the father of the bride that he could sit. He was there right in my way for most of the ceremony.

Not as dramatic as yours, but one of my odder ceremonies involved a couple that seemed to pour a ton of planning into every element of the day EXCEPT the ceremony. She even had a chef come in to make the girls breakfast at her house that morning and other little extravagances. Come the actual ceremony, the minister isn't there. He's very old, can only stand for short periods of time (the ceremony was outside), and had been sitting home waiting for someone to call him. He finally gets there, the processional happens, and then I move off to the side to get some shots of the bride looking at the groom over his shoulder with a long lens. Immediately, I hear "do you so-and-so take you-so-and-so . . ." Holy crap! I've gotta get back into the aisle! Sure enough, the entire ceremony wasn't quite 60 seconds. I hope breakfast was tastey.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

ScullenCrossBones
842 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 26, 2010 21:53 |  #5

Yeah, I've seen ministers rush through once or twice.

I remember a wedding duing the '80s where a minister waited for the videographer to try and get his equipment out of his car after locking the keys in it. He was patient, but after about 15 minutes, he started the ceremony without the video guy. It was about a two minute ceremony and right as he finished, the videographer was able to extract his equipment. So the minister waited for him to get setup and then started over from the beginning. Everyone was snickering through it, including the minister and the b/g. It was quite amusing at the time.

:p Gear
Mama done took my Kodachrome away...

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 26, 2010 23:07 |  #6

Peacefield wrote in post #10981877 (external link)
Amazing.

I've heard officals getting their names wrong.

Our minister got our names wrong. :) I corrected him with mine at the start of the ceremony but ex-husband didn't correct him so during the whole ceremony he was saying my name right but was calling my ex by the wrong name. Which is why I'm snickering through the whole ceremony on the video.

But I feel bad for the brides who have their ceremonies messed up like that. The poor bride from yesterday got over it quickly and started joking about it (asking guests how the ceremony was and how she was sorry she missed it but she had something else going on) but I can imagine anyone who's really a control freak would FLIP and not be able to enjoy the rest of their day.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 27, 2010 06:46 |  #7

PeaceFire wrote in post #10984202 (external link)
asking guests how the ceremony was and how she was sorry she missed it but she had something else going on)

:lol: You're right, at least she took it in stride and didn't make a scene.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

tjames
261 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 27, 2010 09:11 |  #8

How does he have the ceremony without the bride? And why did nobody say anything? I would of been seriously pissed if I was standing up there and priest started without my bride.. who does that??

Gear List: Kodak Funsaver MAX Cameras, Epson Scanner, MS Paint & some Crayons

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2010 23:12 |  #9

tjames wrote in post #10986252 (external link)
How does he have the ceremony without the bride? And why did nobody say anything? I would of been seriously pissed if I was standing up there and priest started without my bride.. who does that??

The groom WAS telling him! That's the funny part. And the coordinator was at the top of the stairs waving at him like crazy. The guy just wasn't hearing it. He was older and we think he may have had a few before the ceremony.

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2010 08:26 as a reply to  @ PeaceFire's post |  #10

Wow.

On the positive side, it shouldn't take you long to cull the ceremony ;-)a

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 28, 2010 08:36 |  #11

Wonder in a situation like that if there isn't more to the story like the minister was [] this close to blowing chunks or having explosive diarrhea.

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 28, 2010 16:29 |  #12

I'm sorry but I'm sitting here laughing..:))) what an experience! actually all the experiences mentioned in this thread! lol :):) I betcha I'll get one of those someday too..:)

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

PeaceFire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2010 17:40 |  #13

He was pretty old and it was hot! I'm guessing he'd had a couple of drinks, was maybe a little dehydrated and disoriented, and just wanted to be done with it!

I'm pretty sure the guests appreciated the shortness and then the B&G and the bridal party had fun "recreating" it... we may have made that first kiss a little more PG-13 then it was during the real ceremony so that'll be a good keepsake for the grandkids! Haha!

sponsored links

1,835 views & 0 likes for this thread
That Was a First
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.