Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 15 Jun 2009 (Monday) 02:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!

this thread is locked
tim
Light Bringer
50,996 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 29, 2010 00:19 |  #9811

Moppie wrote in post #10998408 (external link)
You mean Nikon havn't found away to mess with the laws of physics?

I wasn't commenting on brands, I was just interested in the shutter speed I really needed to hand hold a lens, and figured others might be interested.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 29, 2010 00:23 |  #9812

I agree, the problem is, what do you replace it with?
It's a very small form factor that is heavily standardized.

Standard headphone mini jack.

Small , cheap, abundant etc.

PC synch is the least standardised cable ever and doesnt even sit very well in the socket.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 29, 2010 00:43 |  #9813

RobDickinson wrote in post #10998452 (external link)
Standard headphone mini jack.

Small , cheap, abundant etc.

PC synch is the least standardised cable ever and doesnt even sit very well in the socket.

Mini head phone jacks need quite a bit of space behind the fitting, more than a PC sync.

And it is heavily standardised in context to photographic flash lighting.
Both my cameras, my strobes, 3 of my flashes my light meter and 3 different radio triggers have PC sync connections.

That said, I think there is a gradual move towards 2.5 and 3.5mm mini jacks happening.
2 of the radio triggers and my camera remote have 2.5 or 2.5mm mini jacks.

Ideally we would get away from cables all together, and someone would develop a standard wireless trigger method that would work across brands.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 29, 2010 02:04 |  #9814

Problem with wireless isnt in the technology, its in the licencing of bands in different geographical locations.

I ipods can fit 2.5mm jacks in an SLR can...

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 29, 2010 02:18 |  #9815

My 7D already has 3.5mm for reference and so does the 5dmk2 and the 1D mk4.

flickr (external link) - So much gear, so little skill.

Moppie
THREAD ­ STARTER
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Sep 29, 2010 02:39 |  #9816

Mevunky wrote in post #10998904 (external link)
My 7D already has 3.5mm for reference and so does the 5dmk2 and the 1D mk4.

My 5D has 2........
:lol::lol:

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 29, 2010 02:54 |  #9817

Moppie wrote in post #10998957 (external link)
My 5D has 2........
:lol::lol:

Seems I got ripped off :(

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 29, 2010 03:51 |  #9818

tim wrote in post #10995668 (external link)
What's the potential new job Dave

weka2000 wrote in post #10995687 (external link)
Minister of Media :lol:

That'd be nice eh!? Am due to start working for Archives NZ late October, can't wait!

tim wrote in post #10996093 (external link)
No PC sync port on the 60D, Canon are clearly wanting professionals using crop bodies to go to the 7D.

tim wrote in post #10997228 (external link)
Sure, but wedding pros especially often have a shoe mount flash and a radio slave in use at the same time.

scotttnz wrote in post #10997664 (external link)
The lack of a PC Sync port just confirms what we have all been telling you for a long time. The X0D series are not proffesional cameras. Doesn't mean they won't provide excellent service to loads of photographers though.

I have to say, whilst I sympathise with the notion that working hours on end with big heavy cameras isn't awesome, and that the physical imaging capabilities of entry SLRs are now amazing, I agree with the idea that XXD or equivalent Nikons are not pro bodies, never were and doubt they ever will be. If you want all the toys, you pay for it, and in the same way consumers want P&Ss that do everything for $300, and the same way every dick on the internet wants there to be a new version of a lens because someone says its possible, regardless of whether it's needed; I suspect overall and in general, the desire for consumer bodies to feature toys associated with professional use is both optimistic and unrealistic. Frankly, as much as many use them, it's still blatantly obvious that 7D/5D2 or the D300s/D700 are still being pegged back and not let rip for full pro spec or use. The 60D was never gonna be a pro camera, just did a close enough job for many to expect it to have everything.

RobDickinson wrote in post #10997681 (external link)
PC synch should die anyhow.

Agree actually, unreliable, outdated connection, however as Moppie said, it's so universally standard now it would be hard to undo, and I suspect the rare occasions where manufacturers cooperate (Pictbridge anyone?) and all actually work on one system as opposed to try and buy market share with competing products will make it unlikely you'll get a common system.

weka2000 wrote in post #10998058 (external link)
I would like to re look at that lens. I love the weight, size and 77mm front thread. I tested one and focus was out by a long shot.

Tim's lens (or hopefully for him) is fresh back from calibration in Oz, and frankly, my own test shows it as close to spot on, although I couldn't quite figure out if it was 100% when I was playing with it this afternoon. I'll bow to Tim's greater technique there. Personally, after seeing a fair few of them now, I think it sucks they vary so much in terms of quality. Obviously if you hit the jackpot with one they rock, but I can't see me ever wanting to part with cash for one. Tim seems to reckon Nikon's own 50mm f/1.4G gets a poor rap, and having never seen one, I'd have no idea. In the Canon camp, I think you'd have to enjoy pain to want one over the reliably wonderful Canon 1.4. ?!

As Dave said, I think the 60D is going to surprise a lot of people, and will be popular.

I actually think it's more the fact that what it does do is more than the sum of its parts. Living with one, in the same way the original 5D scored, exceeds the on-paper hype I suspect. Honestly, for all the moaning about what it doesn't do, it's quite easy to overlook the fact it's rediculously capable at almost anything you can think of. Definite sleeper me thinks...

Moppie wrote in post #10998527 (external link)
Ideally we would get away from cables all together, and someone would develop a standard wireless trigger method that would work across brands.

As stated, that would rock. Can we let Profoto and their Air system lead the way please? (But smaller)

RobDickinson wrote in post #10998856 (external link)
Problem with wireless isnt in the technology, its in the licencing of bands in different geographical locations.

True, although not sure how that stops an inter-brand cooperation for a single system to run everything? Pocket Wizzard already make several specs of their product for the differing areas, if camera and flash manufacturers made the systems integral, you can control that in the same way they do about who gets which plugs or warranty cards in the boxes when they leave the factory. And surely if you move areas, a firmware flash from the service dept of whoever can make your original gear work in the new zone with new products?

???

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

arbnz
96 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2010 03:57 |  #9819

Congratulations on the job Dave, spent many an hour down at archives NZ this year...may I ask the position/role?

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 29, 2010 04:18 |  #9820

Archives jockey/nerd. ;)

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

tag141
Goldmember
3,233 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 29, 2010 04:53 |  #9821

Don't know if I have posted this before. http://blog.peterlik.c​om …ing-the-Spirit-of-America (external link) but he's making a 'reality' show. The good ole US of A have followed him around. Don't know why but makes me think of Weka. I can see him doing this. Due for show later this year or early next year.

arbnz
96 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 29, 2010 04:58 |  #9822

manipula wrote in post #10999160 (external link)
Archives jockey/nerd. ;)

Sweet, might see you down there at some stage in the future.

Mevunky
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 29, 2010 05:38 |  #9823

manipula wrote in post #10999102 (external link)
That'd be nice eh!? Am due to start working for Archives NZ late October, can't wait!

True, although not sure how that stops an inter-brand cooperation for a single system to run everything? Pocket Wizzard already make several specs of their product for the differing areas, if camera and flash manufacturers made the systems integral, you can control that in the same way they do about who gets which plugs or warranty cards in the boxes when they leave the factory. And surely if you move areas, a firmware flash from the service dept of whoever can make your original gear work in the new zone with new products?

???

This is awesome to hear! We must have beer regarding this, or just beer because beer is always required.

As for the wireless stuff, PC wireless 2.4 and 5ghz just have bands which are set for the countries in software, easy as pie so its a non issue frankly.

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 29, 2010 08:22 |  #9824

and it's also clear that Canon have completely realigned their line up into 2 consumer level bodies and 2 pro level bodies.

Umm - isn't there really 5 different bodies at the moment (lumping all the 1D together), so what happens with the 5th??? 550D, 60D, 7D, 5D, 1D

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

pleb1024
313 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 29, 2010 08:32 |  #9825

manipula wrote in post #10999102 (external link)

???

The number of different plugs/electrical is vastly different to the number of different radio spectrum allocations. It would also massively increase support costs, as not only do they have to stuff a couple of odds in ends in the box, they also have to track which body was flashed with what in the factory, let alone the increase in warranty problems cause of mismatched settings (not a actual product defect).

If they went with such a system they'd more likely do 'set the country you are in now' and not have to do firmware updates etc, as it's not practical for someone who travels to send their camera off when they are going to go NZ->Japan->US->UK in the space of a month or two.

Daniel

7DMkII | 7D | 450D | Canon 18-55 IS | Canon 55-250 | Canon 100-400L MkII | Canon 100-400L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | Tokina 11-16
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

696,563 views & 0 likes for this thread
GKPE 7 - And Still Going! Still Friendly and Still The BEST!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.